Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I would think the Milanese and the Link Bracelets are not only water resistant, but also waterproof!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would think the Milanese and the Link Bracelets are not only water resistant, but also waterproof!

I'm not Entirely sure, but I would think that depending if the link bracelet or Milanese loop is subjected to water enough overtime, it could cause some form rust or corrosion. ESpecially salt water.

Reactions: Ledgem and Luba

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, but the case of the watch itself is made from stainless steel....

I Understand that. But there has been cases where the milanese loop and stainless link have been subjected to corrosion from salt water. If I recall correctly, there was a thread discussing some users experiencing corrosion with the stainless steel link and Milanese loop band from Apple. Furthermore, it's how you care for the stainless steel if its subjected to water, which Apple recommends rinsing it off if it was used in a pool or the ocean.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
I Understand that. But there has been cases where the milanese loop and stainless link have been subjected to corrosion from salt water. If I recall correctly, there was a thread discussing some users experiencing corrosion with the stainless steel link and Milanese loop band from Apple. Furthermore, it's how you care for the stainless steel if its subjected to water, which Apple recommends rinsing it off if it was used in a pool or the ocean.
But interestingly, there haven't been any cases of the actual watch experiencing corrosion.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But interestingly, there haven't been any cases of the actual watch experiencing corrosion.

Granted the fact the stainless steel Apple Watch has a different finish over the link and Milanese loop.

Last edited:

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I think you're referring to the situation when stainless steel touches aluminum, it can cause corrosion. I forget what it was called. It was another reason I got the SS AW.
[doublepost=1501733761][/doublepost]
Granted the fact the stainless steel Apple Watch has a different finish over the link and Milanese loop.
Hmmm, the shiny SS vs brushed SS could conflict. But the black SS has DLC coating, shouldn't that protect it? We need the chemists or experts that responded to the aluminum/steel corrosion thread to help us.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hmmm, the shiny SS vs brushed SS could conflict. But the black SS has DLC coating, shouldn't that protect it? We need the chemists or experts that responded to the aluminum/steel corrosion thread to help us.

The "DLC" coating or formally known as diamond like carbon coating is an added layer meant to protect against scratches and nicks because of the damage Black can display over the regular stainless. I, in my opinion, don't believe the DLC coating was designed to protect against corrosion From salt water.

But I agree, I'm not a metallurgist and they would have more knowledge in this.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I think you're referring to the situation when stainless steel touches aluminum, it can cause corrosion. I forget what it was called. It was another reason I got the SS AW.
[doublepost=1501733761][/doublepost]

The milanese loop and link bands have nooks and crannies that the stainless steel watch just doesn't have. That could also be a factor.

That, or the glue holding the magnet in on the milanese loop.

BatmanAnd

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
The milanese loop and link bands have nooks and crannies that the stainless steel watch just doesn't have. That could also be a factor.

That, or the glue holding the magnet in on the milanese loop.

Nicho is correct. The weakness in the milanese loop band is where the magnet is embedded. The magnet is made with iron and is not in a waterproof compartment. It is simply glued into the pocket and covered with another glued on piece of shiny metal. When water gets into this area, the magnet rusts and expands pushing out the the shiny metal plate until it extends beyond the grippy rubber ring. At this point the magnetic latch doesn't work very well anymore because the rubber no long grips the band and the magnetic latch easily slides open.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Nicho is correct. The weakness in the milanese loop band is where the magnet is embedded. The magnet is made with iron and is not in a waterproof compartment. It is simply glued into the pocket and covered with another glued on piece of shiny metal. When water gets into this area, the magnet rusts and expands pushing out the the shiny metal plate until it extends beyond the grippy rubber ring. At this point the magnetic latch doesn't work very well anymore because the rubber no long grips the band and the magnetic latch easily slides open.
Would that be the main factor for the Milanese losing magnetic grip over time or is it more about the magnet itself losing power over time?

BatmanAnd

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
Would that be the main factor for the Milanese losing magnetic grip over time or is it more about the magnet itself losing power over time?

Yes, in my experience rust causes the magnet cover to expand out, preventing the rubber from gripping. You can squeeze a little more life out of the band - if there's a visible gap under the magnet cover, then you can pry it off and scrape off the old glue and some rust with a small screw driver. Be careful not to damage the rubber ring because that will weaken the grip. With the cover off you should see that the magnet is nearly full strength and the latch should work again. If you scraped off enough rust you might be able to glue the cover back over the magnet. Just make sure you use a thin layer of glue and get the cover pressed down below the rubber ring. Or you can use the band without the magnet cover, you'll just get some rust flakes that occasionally need to be cleaned off.

Sj2z

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Yes, in my experience rust causes the magnet cover to expand out, preventing the rubber from gripping. You can squeeze a little more life out of the band - if there's a visible gap under the magnet cover, then you can pry it off and scrape off the old glue and some rust with a small screw driver. Be careful not to damage the rubber ring because that will weaken the grip. With the cover off you should see that the magnet is nearly full strength and the latch should work again. If you scraped off enough rust you might be able to glue the cover back over the magnet. Just make sure you use a thin layer of glue and get the cover pressed down below the rubber ring. Or you can use the band without the magnet cover, you'll just get some rust flakes that occasionally need to be cleaned off.
[doublepost=1566405073][/doublepost]Ok. So now that we’ve come to understand the Milanese loop malfunction. Where is the weak point or reasoning for the *not water resistant* spec associated with the STAINLESS STEEL ($450) black link bracelet that I have and love. Cringing every time I wash my hands or the like...bc of those damn 3 words above...stainless steel...not waterproof....someone please help me understand!

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
[doublepost=1566405073][/doublepost]Ok. So now that we’ve come to understand the Milanese loop malfunction. Where is the weak point or reasoning for the *not water resistant* spec associated with the STAINLESS STEEL ($450) black link bracelet that I have and love. Cringing every time I wash my hands or the like...bc of those damn 3 words above...stainless steel...not waterproof....someone please help me understand!

My guess would be crud in the hinges

Sj2z

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
My guess would be crud in the hinges

Well I suppose I can stay on top of that and am not one to just expect things to take care of themselves. So maybe this was just a broad stroke CYA job by Apple with this one
[doublepost=1566405417][/doublepost]My concern was that there may be “non stainless steel” components involved with the quick connect link design or within each link perhaps

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
So if it’s not a good idea to wash a Milanese Loop or SS band, how would you clean it?

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
So if it’s not a good idea to wash a Milanese Loop or SS band, how would you clean it?
FWIW I cleaned Link and Milanese every day I used it with mild soap and water. No rust yet. There are other issues to be concerned about like the Milanese losing its magnetic strength over time and Link getting scratched up. I sold Milanese and I’ll probably just leave the scratches unless they become really bad.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
Well I suppose I can stay on top of that and am not one to just expect things to take care of themselves. So maybe this was just a broad stroke CYA job by Apple with this one
[doublepost=1566405417][/doublepost]My concern was that there may be “non stainless steel” components involved with the quick connect link design or within each link perhaps

Maybe the springs in the clasp.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Stainless steel is not magnetic. I believe they cover high iron steel with chrome or other alloy that is stainless. Guessing water can get to the iron and rust it out.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Reactions: CarlJ

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I would think it is because they corrode.

My google skills are pretty decent, yet I'm not finding any examples of Milanese loop or link bracelet corrosion.

Please be so kind as to provide a couple example links showing this corrosion and the circumstances that caused it. Thanks

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
My google skills are pretty decent, yet I'm not finding any examples of Milanese loop or link bracelet corrosion.

Please be so kind as to provide a couple example links showing this corrosion and the circumstances that caused it. Thanks
Why should I give you examples? I wrote "I would think", and that's it.

I'm not the one saying they are not waterproof. I just tried to answer the OP's question: "Why does Apple say the Link Bracelet and the Milanese are not water resistant??" with "I would think". Next time I will add "MIGHT" so you might not misinterpret me.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Why should I give you examples? I wrote "I would think", and that's it.

I'm not the one saying they are not waterproof. I just tried to answer the OP's question: "Why does Apple say the Link Bracelet and the Milanese are not water resistant??" with "I would think". Next time I will add "MIGHT" so you might not misinterpret me.

The way your post was written suggested you knew they corrode, and that is why you think Apple made that statement.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.