Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
If you give me an extra link bracelet I can test this theory for you, but personally I would keep mine outside the bathroom.

While most of the band is made of stainless steel I assume there are small parts that are iron-based - like maybe the connector brackets? - that would be prone to corrosion.

Reactions: twanj

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Just where does Apple say that the Milanese Loop and Link bands are not water resistant?

Reactions: twanj

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I don’t see it in the description of the loop on the Apple site. Can you provide a link?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I don’t see it in the description of the loop on the Apple site. Can you provide a link?

Go to https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUHM2AM/A/42mm-space-black-link-bracelet
Scroll down to What's in the Box.
Note the "*"
Scroll further down to where it says "*Band is not water resistant"

Sorry for low res photo, had to zoom web page to be able to screen grab.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: Strangedream

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Go to https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUHM2AM/A/42mm-space-black-link-bracelet
Scroll down to What's in the Box.
Note the "*"
Scroll further down to where it says "*Band is not water resistant"

Sorry for low res photo, had to zoom web page to be able to screen grab.

View attachment 867379
Yes. This special manufacturer’s note appears in the description of the space black Milanese Loop, but there is no such note for the silver or the gold Milanese Loop or for the SS link bracelet. There is really is no reason to believe these are not water resistant.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes. This special manufacturer’s note appears in the description of the space black Milanese Loop, but there is no such note for the silver or the gold Milanese Loop or for the SS link bracelet. There is really is no reason to believe these are not water resistant.

Image & link I posted above is for the Space Black SS link bracelet and contains the notice.

Same notice is on the silver SS link bracelet page: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUHJ2AM/A/38mm-silver-link-bracelet

I'm unclear on why you're saying those notes don't exist when they're very clearly there. ?‍♂️

Last edited:

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Image & link I posted above is for the Space Black SS link bracelet and contains the notice.

Same notice is on the silver SS link bracelet page: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUHJ2AM/A/38mm-silver-link-bracelet

I'm unclear on why you're saying those notes don't exist when they're very clearly there. ?‍♂️

Yes, it’s there when I use your link, but if you simply go to apple.com>watch>bands, it’s not there. Curious. In any event, I can’t imagine what they’re talking about. I’ve used the silver-colored Milanese Loop and the link bracelet (My wife cleans her loop and link bracelet in the dishwasher) while swimming for years, and of course I’ve washed them in soap and water afterwards, and I’ve not been aware of any adverse effects.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes, it’s there when I use your link, but if you simply go to apple.com>watch>bands, it’s not there. Curious.

Ah I see what you mean. I think they only put the caveats like that on the purchase pages, which is what I linked to.

In any event, I can’t imagine what they’re talking about. I’ve used the silver-colored Milanese Loop and the link bracelet (My wife cleans her loop and link bracelet in the dishwasher) while swimming for years, and of course I’ve washed them in soap and water afterwards, and I’ve not been aware of any adverse effects.
Probably just legal CYA. Apple's deep pockets may tend to attract lawyers trying to make a buck on spurious class-action b.s.

I've only recently bought a SBSS link bracelet and it doesn't seem it'd need to be babied - I appreciate your report of long term usage. As a runner, the ability to hold up against sweat and a bit of soap & water in a post-run shower would be nice, as swapping out the band isn't always convenient.

Britain4

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2019
I'd hope the link bracelet would be fine but the Milanese certainly does suffer from corrosion on the magnetic part. I bought one off eBay where the iron magnet had completely rusted out which also stained the loop and clasp.

I did repair it by gluing in a magnet from a cheap (broken) third party Milanese, cleaned it all up and you'd never know it had been repaired, so it's not unfixable if it does happen.

Datalinks

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
Nicho is correct. The weakness in the milanese loop band is where the magnet is embedded. The magnet is made with iron and is not in a waterproof compartment. It is simply glued into the pocket and covered with another glued on piece of shiny metal. When water gets into this area, the magnet rusts and expands pushing out the the shiny metal plate until it extends beyond the grippy rubber ring. At this point the magnetic latch doesn't work very well anymore because the rubber no long grips the band and the magnetic latch easily slides open.
You are spot on. I am using the Milanese loop from Laut while swimming both in the sea and the pool and this is what happened...

Attachments

• 32F743ED-CAED-46AC-96E2-3EB35AA01A43.png
    32F743ED-CAED-46AC-96E2-3EB35AA01A43.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 321

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
I’ll wear my Milanese in fresh water but not salt. After I work out I always rinse it thoroughly with fresh water.

Reactions: eagleglen

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So wearing it when exercising should be fine? Even if it's raining?

It should not be an issue as swimming / diving is much more...aggressive...about forcing water into the clasp. I had an Apple OEM Stainless Milanese Loop with my Series 0 and over three years I never encountered this issue - and I live in Seattle where it rains a fair bit. ;)

Reactions: Tanax

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Jewelry cleaning fluid will work to get any crud out from between links or the mesh of the Milanese loop. You can find it on Amazon. Remove watchband and submerge into the fluid. You can check with a jeweler to see how long you should leave it in the fluid. Remove and dry with microfiber cloth. Also use compressed air can, like the ones used to cleaned electronics or keyboards etc... This will blow left over fluid out of areas you can’t dry by hand. A quick wipe daily with a damp cloth doesn’t hurt either especially if you work in an environment that cause sweat unde your watch. You can dip QTips into the cleaning fluid also for quick touchups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.