Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is there any reason why Apple chooses to consolidate all its planned new features for IOS and release them all at one go, rather than spreading some of them out over the year?

I mean, with so many features included in each IOS update, is it so hard to just toss out a new feature or 2 every 1-2 months? You will still have more than enough features to justify a major update every year. :confused:

Plus, some improvements, such as the merging of phone numbers with apple IDs, I deem to be quite crucial. This seems the sort of thing you would want to quickly push out to all IOS5 users, rather than hold back on it. :(

Not to mention that sometimes, the developer may have a great idea at the end of the year, but by the time it gets announced/implemented 9 months later, it is also outdated or replicated by an existing feature/app. So people have the impression that Apple stole the idea from somewhere else, where in reality, they may have come up with it first or around the same time.

Your thoughts?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It is easier to roll all those new features into one massive update - especially if a feature depends on some other feature - than it is to try to incrementally implement, test and release features on a limited basis.

It's why there are software versions.

Reactions: chabig

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Is there any reason why Apple chooses to consolidate all its planned new features for IOS and release them all at one go, rather than spreading some of them out over the year?

I mean, with so many features included in each IOS update, is it so hard to just toss out a new feature or 2 every 1-2 months? You will still have more than enough features to justify a major update every year. :confused:

Plus, some improvements, such as the merging of phone numbers with apple IDs, I deem to be quite crucial. This seems the sort of thing you would want to quickly push out to all IOS5 users, rather than hold back on it. :(

Not to mention that sometimes, the developer may have a great idea at the end of the year, but by the time it gets announced/implemented 9 months later, it is also outdated or replicated by an existing feature/app. So people have the impression that Apple stole the idea from somewhere else, where in reality, they may have come up with it first or around the same time.

Your thoughts?

That's just how Apple does it. It's all about marketing too. If they release a major software along with new hardware, it looks good for them.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
If anything were to change I could see them making the iPad version of iOS more iPad specific and releasing a big update to that around the iPad release (and a small iPhone one to allow iCloud things (if any) to stay all synced) then a massive iPhone iOS release around the iPhone (and a less massive iPad one).

Doubt it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.