Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
For Siri to become a true personal assistant, it will have to change a lot. You should if you want to be able to use a name of your choice, and at some point be able to customize the voice more, or even buy custome voices.

Seems silly everyone will be saying hey Siri or ok Google, I would rather name my assistant what I want.

At some point the right virtual assistant software will be very customizable and very individual to each person, I hope Apple takes the lead in this.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Wont happen. Siri is a product name and every time you say it publicly, they get advertising. Same with the other services.

The only way you will get a different name is if one of the companies decides to rebrand.

Now that I have stated the obvious, I agree it would be nice to have the option because its one more thing to customize. Not sure what I would call her but for now Siri is fine with me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The option they should provide is being able to choose a phrase that activates it other than Hey Siri if you wanted to. That plus a way for it to identify your voice somewhat better so it doesn't randomly respond just to anyone (or anything) that might say that phrase.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The option they should provide is being able to choose a phrase that activates it other than Hey Siri if you wanted to. That plus a way for it to identify your voice somewhat better so it doesn't randomly respond just to anyone (or anything) that might say that phrase.

Even just a list to choose from would be better than what we have now. Every time I say 'Hey, Siri', about three devices go off...

Just being able to change it to 'Hello, Siri', 'Siri, activate' or something would make things much better!

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
For Siri to become a true personal assistant, it will have to change a lot. You should if you want to be able to use a name of your choice, and at some point be able to customize the voice more, or even buy custome voices.

Seems silly everyone will be saying hey Siri or ok Google, I would rather name my assistant what I want.

At some point the right virtual assistant software will be very customizable and very individual to each person, I hope Apple takes the lead in this.

completely agree. i would consider using it when/if that happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.