Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
Ok, so I'm in the UK and the stock market is falling heavily. So I ask Siri the following...

I mean, cmon, there's no excuse for this rubbish, surely a supercomputer can understand what I'm asking here.

I don't have google now but i would expect it to be able to cope with this fiendishly difficult question.

image.jpg
image.jpg

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
It's just yet another example of Apple introducing a new 'thing', then letting it rot in development hell, like iTunes Match.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
What I really like about Siri is even though its on by default it's very easy to turn off and ignore.

I like iOS, thanks to Google Now and all the other wonderful free and highly useful Google Apps that make an iPhone even better.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
What I really like about Siri is even though its on by default it's very easy to turn off and ignore.

I like iOS, thanks to Google Now and all the other wonderful free and highly useful Google Apps that make an iPhone even better.

Same here! With Siri disabled, it doesn't bother me at all.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
You're not using the "new" Siri properly! :p

With iOS 8/9, Apple borked Siri big time by switching from Google to Bing. Siri is basically useless for searching for resources not on the iPhone IMHO. I've discovered a workaround that works great almost every time.

Instead of saying "what time does Wall Street open", I say "search for what time does Wall Street open with Google". Or, rather than "tell me about Manchester UK", I say "search for Manchester UK with Google".

Sure, I get a Safari web page with the answer, but I don't get a borked response. FWIW, I also get much more concise responses for technical items with Wolfram Alpha installed.

Bing: "Bing Is Not Google". No sh*t.

Reactions: Dino F

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I asked Siri: "What time does Wall Street open" today.

She still doesn't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.