Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wlow3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I have about 5000+ photos on my iPhone 5s (iOS 8.3) but nearly all of them do not have the Favorites heart button available to favorite them in Photos.

What criteria make this available for a photo?

I'll add that I did not yet sign up for iCloud photos with the new Mac Photos app and I sync my photos directly with a lighting cord between the Mac and the iPhone, if any of that make a difference. (I can favorite photos on the Mac but that does not seem to sync over.) Thanks.

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I have about 5000+ photos on my iPhone 5s (iOS 8.3) but nearly all of them do not have the Favorites heart button available to favorite them in Photos.

I'll add that I did not yet sign up for iCloud photos with the new Mac Photos app and I sync my photos directly with a lighting cord between the Mac and the iPhone, if any of that make a difference. (I can favorite photos on the Mac but that does not seem to sync over.) Thanks.

Possible reasons, as I see them:

- Because you haven't signed up for iCloud Photos.
- Maybe your synced photos are 'read-only'
- Because of an iOS glitch

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Agree with J.gerbes. Once I turned on iCloud photo library and synced all my photos had the heart to designate as Favorites. Until then, some had it some didn't.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

Are they My Photostream photos that are not in your camera roll?

wlow3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Well, I'm getting that it's due to the fact that I don't have one of the cloud services on, and I think I have neither Photo Stream nor iCloud Photos on, but I do periodically perform a local sync and I don't understand why favoriting are not part of what is synced. I can favorite any photo on my Mac but these do not get synced to my iPhone (nor end up in its Favorites folder), and on my iPhone only a few of my 5000 photos has either the heart icon or the trash can - most hit is only photos that I have taken very recently on the iPhone (ones that are still in the camera roll). If they are deleted out of the camera roll upon sync, they do get synced back to the camera, so I still have them on the phone, they lose the heart and the trash can icons. I guess if it doesn't get synced via iCloud photo, but done locally, then it's read-only? Is that true?

Reactions: foliovision

Dark-Star-Knight

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
Well, I'm getting that it's due to the fact that I don't have one of the cloud services on, and I think I have neither Photo Stream nor iCloud Photos on, but I do periodically perform a local sync and I don't understand why favoriting are not part of what is synced. I can favorite any photo on my Mac but these do not get synced to my iPhone (nor end up in its Favorites folder), and on my iPhone only a few of my 5000 photos has either the heart icon or the trash can - most hit is only photos that I have taken very recently on the iPhone (ones that are still in the camera roll). If they are deleted out of the camera roll upon sync, they do get synced back to the camera, so I still have them on the phone, they lose the heart and the trash can icons. I guess if it doesn't get synced via iCloud photo, but done locally, then it's read-only? Is that true?

From testing with my iPhone, far as I can tell, you cannot favorite synced photos, only photos in the camera roll, I could be wrong though.

Edit-

Wow, didn’t even look at the date, sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.