Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I remember years ago that you could install a web browser on the Apple TV by setting up a developer account with Apple, hooking up the Apple TV with your Mac, and transferring a web browser someone else had developed over to the Apple TV.

Yet the Apple TV app store lacks a web browser. Why is that?

It's not uncommon for me to watch a video that's online but there's no dedicated app for it. So I have to have an iOS device that's streaming it via AirPlay. This ends up being a decidedly subpar experience:
  1. My iOS device's battery is getting drained and needs to be kept alive.
  2. It needs to be kept awake/unlocked.
  3. It can't be used for other things.
  4. My Apple TV is plugged in via ethernet. My iOS device is relying on wifi. So instead of the better connection I could have if the Apple TV were doing the streaming, I have the subpar experience of the video coming from my router to my iOS device via wifi, then back to the router, then to the Apple TV. When it could have just been straight from the router to the Apple TV - the trip through my iOS device was pointless and just congested anyone else trying to use the wifi.
It'd be way better if there was just a web browser for the Apple TV. I could browse to whatever website hosts the video, click on it, and just have the Apple TV playing it itself.

Specifically, I'm thinking of non-YouTube/Twitch livestreams. The Boring Company the other day had a livestream on their website. Their hosting provider was Ustream, who doesn't have an Apple TV app. Tesla does the same thing (using Ustream).

Is it just that the Apple TV is incredibly unpopular, so nobody wants to develop for it?
Is Apple blocking apps that could solve this problem from being on the app store? What rules, exactly, is Apple saying the apps are running afoul of, if that's the case?
Is this just technically difficult somehow? That seems a bit doubtful, given the side-loading option mentioned at the top...

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Sell it and purchase a more popular platform would be my initial suggestion.

2nd would be, I agree with WAM2 that, IMHO, web browsing on a TV is a horrible experience. For me this dates back to webTV.

That RaspberryPi would give you a better experience connected to the TV than the AppleTV and that remote.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There is a web browser

What web browser is there available for the tvOS?

That RaspberryPi would give you a better experience connected to the TV than the AppleTV and that remote.

Yea, but then you would need multiple devices connected to the TV.

I would like to get a web browser on tvOS. It has been on my wishlist since the launch of the ATV4.

Similar to the OP, it would be nice for the few times that an App is not available, or just to make signing into hotels' Wifi a lot easier and faster.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
What web browser is there available for the tvOS?

Yea, but then you would need multiple devices connected to the TV.

I would like to get a web browser on tvOS. It has been on my wishlist since the launch of the ATV4.

Similar to the OP, it would be nice for the few times that an App is not available, or just to make signing into hotels' Wifi a lot easier and faster.

AirWeb, Sideloaded tvOS Browser, Air Browser...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.