Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
At my church the person in charge of sound and media does not like Macs nor apple products so in his world everything is Windows or Android. There are churches out there that are all mac based. Imagine the person in charge of sound and media at my church was open to reason how would you convince him to use Apple products considering they are usually far more expensive?

Moriend87

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
Lol this is crazy. Why waste peoples donated money on a Mac when what you have already obviously works fine. Remember churches live in donated money. Why do they have to have the best of the best? Save the money and buy some Christmas presents for kids who aren’t fortunate enough to get presents.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
As a person who actually works in a church and for churches, ProPresenter does not run as well on Windows. If your church needs heavy lifting, lights, presentations, digital signage, Mac is it

The person in charge does not like Apple products. I wish I could convince him if he were open to reason to dump Windows/Android and move to Apple.

The person in charge does not like Apple products. I wish I could convince him if he were open to reason to dump Windows/Android and move to Apple.
You are ignoring what folks have said above, especially with churches depending on donations. If I were a member, I would want the church to spend such funds wisely. As long as the Windows "stuff" is working, no need to move to Mac "stuff". Yes, I love my Macs, and of course I prefer them. But not in this case.

Remember the old, applicable saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Definitely applicable here.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
While he's not looking, search for a virus. You should be able to find one for Windows easily. Then all you have to do is convince him that there isn't a virus that affects the macOS.

• Angry
Reactions: faust

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
how would you convince him to use Apple products considering they are usually far more expensive?
Isn't it more important to focus on the church's mission and the reason to go to church?

Seems like you may be missing the point of attending church - its not to worry about what computer is being used. I'm sure the church has more important areas to spend money then to just re-buy computer hardware it has a fruit logo on it

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The church I do computer repair work for gets their computers donated. They use a Mac for media because a nice iMac and Mac Pro was donated. They use a mix of Macs and Windows in the office. Since they were donated.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
All you can do is present information and then allow the other person to make their own choice.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I've run sound at my church for over a decade. I always tell the new guys that the only time anyone even notices us is when we screw up. So 98% of the congregation will never notice the difference if you switch to Mac.

I say relax. Church is about worshiping God and building community relationships. The kind of computer running the PowerPoint matters about as much as brand of refrigerator in the church kitchen. As long as it meets the need of the church, it's fine.

Not to mention you now have to retrain the pastor, the AV lead, and a dozen volunteers.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I say relax. Church is about worshiping God and building community relationships.
Well put and let me add that trying to force a switch means that the church spend money on something that they don't need and that diverts funds from other programs or needs

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I've run sound at my church for over a decade. I always tell the new guys that the only time anyone even notices us is when we screw up. So 98% of the congregation will never notice the difference if you switch to Mac.

I say relax. Church is about worshiping God and building community relationships. The kind of computer running the PowerPoint matters about as much as brand of refrigerator in the church kitchen. As long as it meets the need of the church, it's fine.

Not to mention you now have to retrain the pastor, the AV lead, and a dozen volunteers.

Yeah true. Just like in the business world everyone runs Windows and mostly because they are cheaper, and more software will run on them. I know in my field we have software that will not run on a Mac. Yeah the company could spend 4 times the money and install parallels or boot camp on Macs but thats defeating the purpose of just being cheaper by running Windows. I use Windows 10, Excel, among other propitary software at the job everyday and Windows is not that bad and in some ways is superior to the Mac. Oh and I forgot to mention that MS Office for Windows is superior to the Mac counterpart. More features, more apps such as Publisher, Access, Dynamics, etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.