Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmiller4642

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
I've heard enough classic rock that I'm sick of it on the radio. If you want to listen to the typical radio bands the discographies are there. For a 29 year old living in middle America it's nice to finally hear the new music cool in cities like NY and London

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
There's numerous genres and subgenres of music and peoples tastes are made up of various mixes between them all. Beats 1 was never going to appeal to everybody even if it tried.

Reactions: Arndroid and chabig

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It reminds me of why I no longer listen to any local music stations. The DJ talks over the song, thinks they are funny, way too many station ID's. I switched to XM for most of my "radio" music because most (not all) of the stations I listen to on the the DJ will give you some information about the song or the band and then play the song in its entirety.

JMac88

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2015
Beats 1 is trying to be different in my opinion, we need to remember this is still early days!
I am sure overtime it will get better as the daily schedule improves and evolves overtime.

I am listening to Beats 1 on a more-regular basis than i thought i would!

mattm591

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Yes but why that niche genres?
Personally I'm a big fan of (most of) the music Beats 1 plays.

Specifically - it is called Beats 1. If it's a success, I could well see there being a Beats 2, Beats 3, etc. playing to different niches.

Aside from being a complete rip-off of BBC Radio 1's branding, link-style, etc. it's also aiming itself at their demographic (or perhaps a slightly more mature version of their demographic - they're focusing too much on appealing to 12yos these days).

It absolutely can't appeal to everyone, but it appeals to a demographic that listens to a lot of music, and does it on a lot of devices and as a starting point that makes perfect sense.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Setting aside whether I like or don't like the music they play (currently as a single-stream music station is NEVER going to satisfy everyone), the reason I think Beats1 currently sucks eggs is because the DJ's talk over every song and simply won't shut up.. and all the talk (aside from announcing the playlist) is disingenuous blather.

I want to listen to music, not DJ's shouting out tweets, random soundbites, constant promotional announcements.

If the DJ's don't shut up soon, Beats1 is essentially DOA.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
When you hire a BBC radio 1 DJ this is what you get. Radio 1 is aimed at a younger audience. What you also get from the BBC is radio 2,3,4, and 6 aimed at different audience taste. Maybe we will get a Beats 2 and 3 eventually.

Reactions: tonyr6

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Deleted - why do I bother? It's not like Apple gives an F. They will not play music for the people who make most of the money for them but only based on how they want to be perceived.

Last edited:

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I dunno, if you check out the main evening shows, especially right now, there's a great variety.

Okay, fine quite a lot has an electric vibe to it, but that's just kinda how music is right now. They can't play old tracks all day long.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
When you hire a BBC radio 1 DJ this is what you get. Radio 1 is aimed at a younger audience.
Are you referring to the music or the DJ style? Because, sincerely curious, does a younger audience like DJ's constantly talking over the music, and blathering on between nearly every single song? Is that how young people (e.g. teens thru 20's) like to listen to music now?

I don't care for it myself, but I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, just curious if this apparent trend is actually appreciated by a younger audience, or whether they just put up with it?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Loving Beats 1 Radio! Lots of hip-hop, but think it's more post-genre world vibe, very similar to BBC 1. Let's look at the kick-off show which started with Spring King's City, and ended with Wolf Alice's You're a Germ. That was pretty awesome!

I'm also really digging the guest DJ's. Loved Josh Hommes (from Queens of the Stone Age) show The Alligator Hour. He played Roky Ericsson (from 13th Floor Elevators) and The Cramps -- that's Day 2. So that pretty much busted my perception of what they'd play!

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I'm digging it. Music is all over the place. Was listening to it today while doing yard work and was quite pleased with the songs they played. The 3hrs of Zane, Julie and Ebro were quite good. I know it's basically a clone of BBC1 but it's definitely a fresh change of pace from what we have here in the US. I quit listening to the radio years ago and I canceled XM since it is over priced for the repetitive programing they have, so Beats 1 has my interest so far.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I think a lot of people were hoping for music that would appeal to a broad range of age groups and tastes. What we have gotten so far seems narrowly targeted to rap fans and euro electronic fans under 30. No thanks.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts after listening the last 2 days. I'm hoping they'll eventually grow this into an XM competitor with stations for different genres.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I've heard enough classic rock that I'm sick of it on the radio. If you want to listen to the typical radio bands the discographies are there. For a 29 year old living in middle America it's nice to finally hear the new music cool in cities like NY and London

You get older and don't want to 'holla up in the club' or listen to 'phat beatz.'

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Deleted - why do I bother? It's not like Apple gives an F. They will not play music for the people who make most of the money for them but only based on how they want to be perceived.
Who are these interesting people?

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I'm also a little disapointed on beats 1. At first I thought it would play many genres but I listened the station long enough to see its just rap/hip hop music (witch I hate) and club music. I dont know why this station have such a niche genre for music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.