Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
What synth melodies? The alarm sirens? :confused:

You still avoiding my point. Many well known, popular, music publications and websites confirm its music, but you're saying they're wrong?

Just because you don't like it, does not mean it's not music. I dislike J-pop, but it's still music.

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Not really, no.

I get that you don't like it, but given that Gosh is widely regarded as one of the best tracks from last year, that the album it is from is widely regarded as one of the best albums from last year, and Jamie XX is widely regarded as one of the best artists / DJs around just now, however unlikely it may seem to you, it is still widely considered a pretty great music.

And as such perfectly appropriate for something like Beats 1.

(Although I'm amazed they could fit it in amongst the wall to wall rap.)

It's funny, Dranix seems to have realise it's not wall to wall rap and is now trying to smokescreen that by arguing that Jamie XX is not music. It's like someone arguing that jazz is just random noise.....

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Beats One has nothing for me. Not impressed.

There is quite a range, but still, it doesn't cater to everyone, nor should it. Look at BBC radio, they have different stations for different audiences. The fact Apple called this Beats One, rather than just Beats Radio, means there's going to be more stations to follow, each with different audiences

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
It's funny, Dranix seems to have realise it's not wall to wall rap and is now trying to smokescreen that by arguing that Jamie XX is not music. It's like someone arguing that jazz is just random noise.....

No I'm saying that Gosh is only noise, not everything Jamie xx does - I know only Gosh. But I see explaining what makes this very strange collection of noise music, even one of the best songs of 2015 (really, we got nothing better?), is not wanted - It's easier to bash people trying to learn.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
No I'm saying that Gosh is only noise, not everything Jamie xx does - I know only Gosh. But I see explaining what makes this very strange collection of noise music, even one of the best songs of 2015 (really, we got nothing better?), is not wanted - It's easier to bash people trying to learn.

There's no explaining to you, since you're confusing your personal taste for the facts of what is and isn't music. If you really want to know, you would have read the links previously provided, which you clearly have not.

I'll repeat my post below, since you also ignored it.

You still avoiding my point. Many well known, popular, music publications and websites confirm its music, but you're saying they're wrong?

Just because you don't like it, does not mean it's not music. I dislike J-pop, but it's still music.

TheHotdog

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
There is quite a range, but still, it doesn't cater to everyone, nor should it. Look at BBC radio, they have different stations for different audiences. The fact Apple called this Beats One, rather than just Beats Radio, means there's going to be more stations to follow, each with different audiences

Three years later... NOPE!

Reactions: Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Three years later... NOPE!

No, never happened. And I can't stand 98% of what Beats 1 plays. So I stick with my TuneIn Radio Pro favorite stations, or Music Choice favorites on the Xfinity Stream app.

Music Choice on Xfinity Stream
8fdbb838eb3bd723a995d851d4fd9753.jpg

TuneIn Radio Pro faves
485a64c75dec2ab6f88702826da2c174.jpg

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
Beats 1 is pushing me out the door with Apple Music.
[automerge]1575593638[/automerge]
I didn't realize that AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Depeche Mode, and various other similar bands fell into the category of hip-hop or club music.
When was the last time we heard those bands on Beats1? It would be great to hear some Stones on Beats1. Every time I try to listen to it. It’s what everyone else says, it’s nothing but rap and hip hop.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When was the last time we heard those bands on Beats1? It would be great to hear some Stones on Beats1. Every time I try to listen to it. It’s what everyone else says, it’s nothing but rap and hip hop.
Not really sure given that that comment was made more than 4 years ago.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
Which kind of validates my point. 4 years later Beats1 has not expanded their horizon to a broader range of users.
I am not by any means minimizing a persons taste in music.
But, as said, we have a choice not to listen to it if we choose not to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.