Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use iTunes as your primary music management program/music player

• Total voters

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
I see a lot of people saying that iTunes is a terrible application and needs seriously revamped. I don't really understand why people feel this way. Yes iTunes on Windows is terrible but on the Mac it works pretty well, the interface is easy to use, it sorts and keeps track of music well and has all the features you could need from a music management program. So what are your reasons for disliking it?

A) I don't have a mac.
B) See OP.

w5dbw

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018
I see a lot of people saying that iTunes is a terrible application and needs seriously revamped. I don't really understand why people feel this way. Yes iTunes on Windows is terrible but on the Mac it works pretty well, the interface is easy to use, it sorts and keeps track of music well and has all the features you could need from a music management program. So what are your reasons for disliking it?
[doublepost=1518107440][/doublepost]Mr. Martindale the reason you hear so many complaints is because 95% of the world is Windows based. iTunes really sucks bad. I do have an ipod and a ipad because one of my apps only runs on ios. Other than that apple sucks as bad as Hillary Clinton.

Reactions: Avenged110

w5dbw

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018
If all people would dump their apple products and force apple out of existence, these stupid companies that author ios software, would write apps that everyone could use.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
I love iTunes, it works well for me, but not going to pay $10 a month for there music service when I have Amazon, and Pandora..which is cheeper..

Last edited:

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
If there was only a simple delineation between 'My Music' - i.e., music that is locally stored on my computer vs. 'Apple Music' - i.e., music that will be streamed. But then, there's the iTunes store, the App Store and its simply an intuitive mess.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
People have difficulty accepting that iTunes is a DATABASE app that plays movie and audio files, and further connects us to a store. I think it does a fantastic job of these tasks. I want my COVER FLOW back, but other than that it does what I want.
Same here. They've made some incredibly bad UI decisions in 11 and especially 12, but it still works.

If we could go back to iTunes 10, but without Ping, and including colors, then I would be a very happy man.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Same here. They've made some incredibly bad UI decisions in 11 and especially 12, but it still works.

If we could go back to iTunes 10, but without Ping, and including colors, then I would be a very happy man.

That's damning with faint praise if ever i heard it.

Apple is a company that is almost entirely about user experience. iTunes is the program that even PC users will be exposed to.

iTunes and Quicktime on PC were horrific and if this is the only Apple software you've been exposed to (As non-mac users commonly are) then no wonder there are so many PC people who hate on Apple.

Apple REALLY need to pull their finger out and fix iTunes. Especially on PC, because as a flagship "entice people to the ecosystem" application, it's a joke. It is sold as a media player and it's just plain confusing and bad at doing that job. I can not think of a more convoluted application in existence for the basic task(s) of playing your content, setting up queues, etc.

I love my apple gear, i really do. But iTunes... man, it's a dog... i like apple despite itunes, in no way because of it.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
That's damning with faint praise if ever i heard it.

Apple is a company that is almost entirely about user experience. iTunes is the program that even PC users will be exposed to.

iTunes and Quicktime on PC were horrific and if this is the only Apple software you've been exposed to (As non-mac users commonly are) then no wonder there are so many PC people who hate on Apple.

Apple REALLY need to pull their finger out and fix iTunes. Especially on PC, because as a flagship "entice people to the ecosystem" application, it's a joke. It is sold as a media player and it's just plain confusing and bad at doing that job. I can not think of a more convoluted application in existence for the basic task(s) of playing your content, setting up queues, etc.

I love my apple gear, i really do. But iTunes... man, it's a dog... i like apple despite itunes, in no way because of it.

Why just iTunes - they've dropped the ball when it comes to software in general. iOS 11 and macOS have both languished in the last few years.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Why just iTunes - they've dropped the ball when it comes to software in general. iOS 11 and macOS have both languished in the last few years.

I disagree with that really.

But the itunes UI is a disgrace, and has been since i started using it in about 2008. Compared to literally any other media player (even winamp from 1998 or 1996 or whatever) it falls short.

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
I don't hate iTunes - but I am not really happy with it's current state.

Actually, I'm not happy with anything Apple has done with music as of late. A lot of it has to do with streaming. Frankly, streaming has made music so much more complicated. It pays artists less, diminishes value (not for all, but for me) and makes the software we use to listen to music subject to unnecessary change. iOS 1-6 and iTunes pre version 11 were great. Managing music was easy, cover flow was awesome, and you didn't have to find a way to fit music discovery in the same application as music playback. That's what Pandora and Shazam were for. I was ripping music onto my cMP last night using the latest version of iTunes and was just hating the UI. The interface has gotten slower, and more cumbersome. Playing local files on my iPhone 7 is a worse experience than playing it off of an old iPod Touch 4th gen running iOS 6.

Reading this you may think I'm an old fuddy duddy who doesn't like change. No - i'm 24. I love technology. But just because something is old, doesn't mean it doesn't work. Music streaming (which is ultimately what has made iTunes 11+ a bigger mess than it was) has caused more problems than it's solved. And to be honest, I don't know if there were problems with music before.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Number one key to iTunes use: keep your music files separate from the same drive as iTunes music streaming. Because Apple will replace many of your music files in its streaming service. All of your personally added metadata with be gone, and your tune versions, including cover art, may change in the replacement.

I do not use Apple streaming, so my tune files are maintained as I want, and like I say, iTunes works GREAT as a database music player this way.

Keep streaming and personal tune files separated by (library or hard drive), unless you never add metadata, like composers, notes, etc., and don’t mind getting a replaced tune file which may or may not be the same version, or even the same cover art.

Reactions: davidmartindale

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
I do not use Apple streaming, so my tune files are maintained as I want, and like I say, iTunes works GREAT as a database music player this way.
Have to say, I use iTunes 11 (my favorite UI) exclusively for local music and it's actually pretty fantastic at that. I also use iTunes 11 on another machine exclusively for local media (music, movies, and tv shows) and that also works pretty well. It seems like the more one tries to do with it, the worse it gets, particularly involving streaming. That said, iTunes 12 is just a total mess.
iOS 1-6 and iTunes pre version 11 were great. Managing music was easy, cover flow was awesome, and you didn't have to find a way to fit music discovery in the same application as music playback...Playing local files on my iPhone 7 is a worse experience than playing it off of an old iPod Touch 4th gen running iOS 6.

Reading this you may think I'm an old fuddy duddy who doesn't like change. No – I'm 24. I love technology. But just because something is old, doesn't mean it doesn't work. Music streaming...has caused more problems than it's solved. And to be honest, I don't know if there were problems with music before.
This may as well have been written by me, haha. (With the exception of iTunes 11, which I love as far as local music management goes.) I recently started using old iPods because of this (and the sound differences). It's a very pleasant – and most importantly, simple – way of listening to music.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
If all people would dump their apple products and force apple out of existence, these stupid companies that author ios software, would write apps that everyone could use.
..and the FBI would be happy too, so why are you here then?

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
Have to say, I use iTunes 11 (my favorite UI) exclusively for local music and it's actually pretty fantastic at that. I also use iTunes 11 on another machine exclusively for local media (music, movies, and tv shows) and that also works pretty well. It seems like the more one tries to do with it, the worse it gets, particularly involving streaming. That said, iTunes 12 is just a total mess.

This may as well have been written by me, haha. (With the exception of iTunes 11, which I love as far as local music management goes.) I recently started using old iPods because of this (and the sound differences). It's a very pleasant – and most importantly, simple – way of listening to music.

Honestly cover flow has been one of my favorite features from Apple. And I hate that they've gotten rid of it. Actually, I'm not a huge fan of Apple's new interface decisions in general. While I don't hate them, I don't like them like I did iOS 1-6, OS X before Yosemite, and the iPod. The iPod Classic 7th gen had the best interface in my opinion, loved the split view. I'm always looking for some naive human to sell it for like $50 on FB.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Honestly cover flow has been one of my favorite features from Apple. And I hate that they've gotten rid of it. Actually, I'm not a huge fan of Apple's new interface decisions in general. While I don't hate them, I don't like them like I did iOS 1-6, OS X before Yosemite, and the iPod. The iPod Classic 7th gen had the best interface in my opinion, loved the split view. I'm always looking for some naive human to sell it for like $50 on FB.
I will concede that iTunes 10 was a lot more stable than 11, I'm just attached to the latter's UI. That said, Apple's software is otherwise pretty much dead to me as of 2013. While I did always enjoy cover flow, I could never get it working properly on iOS (always missing artwork that I know is properly embedded).

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
I will concede that iTunes 10 was a lot more stable than 11, I'm just attached to the latter's UI. That said, Apple's software is otherwise pretty much dead to me as of 2013. While I did always enjoy cover flow, I could never get it working properly on iOS (always missing artwork that I know is properly embedded).

That's a shame you couldn't get it to work. Such a nice way to browse your collection of media.

NoMacHereorever

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2018
[doublepost=1526884943][/doublepost]There is a reason that real engineers don't use a Mac. The iphone is on it's way OUT primarily because it's still connected with Itunes. I'd like a program that is designed for those of us over the age of 12. Clearly Apply didn't expect the iphone to be used by business owners and professionals.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
[doublepost=1526884943][/doublepost]There is a reason that real engineers don't use a Mac. The iphone is on it's way OUT primarily because it's still connected with Itunes. I'd like a program that is designed for those of us over the age of 12. Clearly Apply didn't expect the iphone to be used by business owners and professionals.

I'm sorry but you failed to make a single point as to why iTunes is bad (in addition to your unsubstantiated claims). Could you provide some details perhaps?

Reactions: davidmartindale

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA

A: Depends on what you’re engineering. I see Macs being used all the time in progressional environments. From the medical field to being used in architecture and mechanical engineering. AutoCAD runs quite smooth in macOS.

B: You can do a lot more with a computer other than “engineering”.

C: iPhone is still the best selling smartphone. iOS doesn’t have as much market share as Android though. And I will admit that it is unfortunate that iOS devices don’t have a mode similar to macOS Recovery Mode that allows you to erase and reinstall the OS w/o the need of a computer. Though Android is exactly the same. With both iOS and Android if it gets to a point where you need to completely format and install and image of the OS you’re going to need a secondary device.

D: Your post has literally nothing to do with the topic at and. You literally created an account named “nomachereorever” on a Mac forum to say the iPhone sucks. Good job, must be cool to be you.

Edit:
Also, I’ve used an iPhone for a decade to remotely operate a business... so.... there’s that.

And when you say “a program for those of us over the age of 12” do you mean that iTunes is too complicated for someone who hasn’t grown up with technology or that it’s too simple? I don’t really understan what you’re implying there.

On a good note I’d like to say that everyone should use what works best for them. If that’s iOS and macOS, great, if it’s Windows 10 and Android, great, if it’s Linux and Palm, that’s fine too. But don’t be rude and condisending about it to people who choose otherwise. Tech preference is like religion, do what works best for you but don’t be a zealot.

Last edited:
Reactions: LinusR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.