Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, may be I am used to laptops with 4K screen. Today I spent some time on the MBP 16" and noticed that the screen estate looks noticeably smaller than that of laptop with 4K screen. I don't remember the details but I seem to have read somewhere about Apple's reasoning that although the resolutions are 2072x1920 vs 3840x2160, they look similar. Is there any way to see similar amount of things like the 4K screen on Windows laptop on the MBP 16" screen?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Apple chooses a default scaling that makes things a bit bigger, but you can choose another option if you like.

You mean from Seetings->Display->Resolutions->Change?
On the right of Default, there is an option of expending the space. Am I correct that it only makes the text smaller? Is there a way to reduce the size of the icons shown on the desktop and also make the top command bar on the desktop to hide like the dock?
[automerge]1574265127[/automerge]
In System Preferences you can scale the size of contents on the screen

Do you also mean Settings->Display->Resolutions->Change?

alfogator

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
Florence, Italy
On the right of Default, there is an option of expending the space. Am I correct that it only makes the text smaller? Is there a way to reduce the size of the icons shown on the desktop and also make the top command bar on the desktop to hide like the dock?

Settings->Display->Resolutions->Change
Resolutions: Scaled
The last setting on the right (more space) will give you the same size as 4k display running at 2x Retina Resolution.
It will resize everything not just the text.

If you want further scaling options you need 3d party utilities, I use SwitchResX

To auto hide the menu bar go to
Settings->General
and select Automatically hide and show the menu bar

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The last setting on the right (more space) will give you the same size as 4k display running at 2x Retina Resolution.

If you want further scaling options you need 3d party utilities, I use SwitchResX

Settings->General

Thanks.

I chose the last setting on the right (more space) but the size of those icons on the desktop does not seem to have changed.

Will using SwitchResX damage the screen? When I used those very big CRT monitors 30 years ago, setting resolutions higher than the default one for the monitors could cause damage. What about the MBP screen?

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017

Settings->General
I am using SwithResX too. Do you think that its competitors might be easier on the GPU or they are all the same under the hood?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

in addition to what
I chose the last setting on the right (more space) but the size of those icons on the desktop does not seem to have changed.

Adding to Alfogator's answer;

The scaling options change the size of everything that is sized based on pixel sizing. The icons on the desktop are not. Their size can be changed independently of scaling size. Right click desktop and select view options at the bottom. There you can change icon size and more.

Will using SwitchResX damage the screen? When I used those very big CRT monitors 30 years ago, setting resolutions higher than the default one for the monitors could cause damage. What about the MBP screen?

You cannot harm a digital monitor that way. You may however pick resolutions that make the system slower, increase load on the GPU, cause a loss in sharpness relative to tighter or optimised scaling factors, or depending on how the program is coded/how the scaler in the monitor is, send a signal the display won't show

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
You cannot harm a digital monitor that way. You may however pick resolutions that make the system slower, increase load on the GPU, cause a loss in sharpness relative to tighter or optimised scaling factors, or depending on how the program is coded/how the scaler in the monitor is, send a signal the display won't show

Will the battery life be also shortened?

alfogator

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
Florence, Italy
I am using SwithResX too. Do you think that its competitors might be easier on the GPU or they are all the same under the hood?

These tools only change some settings. SwitchResX also has the ability to let you create new custom resolutions that aren't standard, but still it's just setting a different value. It has no impact on performance per se.
An higher resolution will require more work on the GPU of course, not matter which program you use for setting it.
This is made more significant by the fact that MacOS, when working on scaled resolutions, will render the screen at 2X the set resolution and then scale it in half. This ensures a better quality of the scaling but creates more load on the GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.