Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
well, actually, we don't. But, if we did need one, this is how I'd setup the iMac:

1167MHz G4
With an increased bus speed and a clock speed 32% higher than the previous 800MHz iMac, this sucker would take the old iMac to town.

Radeon 9500
This would finally give the iMac something to talk about when comparing game performance. Plus, this would make the iMac a viable prosumer computer for 3D editing.

Monitor Spanning Option
Paired with a matching 17" widescreen display (which sadly, does not exist), the iMac could become a video editing suite. Final Cut Pro would become more manageable, and any creative user could make use of the extra screen real estate.

And This Wouldn't Kill The PowerMac
If the low-end PowerMac were bumped to dual-1GHz or even dual-933MHz, competition for speed would be minimal. All power users would still go for the PowerMac, especially with the options for expansion that the PowerMacs offer.

The Radeon 9500 would not deter buyers from the PowerMac; the GeForce4 Ti 4600 (which the PowerMacs offer), is still a more powerful display. Plus, a Radeon 9700 and the NV30 will likely ship for the Mac before entirely too long.

Oh, and about monitor spanning: I can only see this benefitting Apple. So what if a user now spends less on the purchase of a PowerMac? He'll still be buying an extra display for the ability to span across two monitors, and he's still likely to spend the money for Final Cut Pro.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Baby steps. it sounds good, but lets try just getting 1ghz with a radeon 9000 first lol

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
So wait, what's the point of this thread? Ohh I got one, What about Apple making a consumer Rocket Ship so we can start colonizing the moon? Any takers?

P-Worm

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
There is no point to this thread, but the PowerBooks and iBooks are getting too much attention right now.... :D

Seriously, I do believe that this is what the iMac needs to remain a stellar seller for Apple. In other words, these specifications should be met in the iMac's next revision to expect the same sales rush as was found when the flat-panel iMac was released.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by sparkleytone
dont forget a faster bus. the current 100MHZ would make 1167 impossible ;)

Actually, he did say increase the bus speed, maybe he edited it tho....

But I think they will go with a 1ghz and a radeon 9000 first, Apple doesnt jump up too much too fast.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Yeah, I don't even think we'll see 1GHz (933 is possibly the best guess). I doubt we'll see an L3 cache, I doubt we'll see a faster SuperDrive, and I bet we'll still see a 15" LCD lying around for the low-end model.

I would like to have:
- 15" LCD, 867MHz
- 17" LCD, 867MHz
- 17" LCD, 1167MHz

Although, this is terribly optimistic, and probably won't be the case until at least July (sadly). The ONE feature that I must request from the iMac line--if nothing else--is monitor spanning. I do not believe this will hurt sales, simply encouraging the prosumer to make a purchase, even if in the low-margin iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.