Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Two questions for now do calls still get through on show up/appear on my iPhone even though they are blocked in WideProtect: Call Blocker ?

Will we be able to block 50 to 60 millions numbers soon ?

Thank you!

Blocked calls may get through if other Identification app recognizes it, and if your phone in Do Not Disturb mode - the calls will be displayed silently on Home screen and in Recently list.

Maybe I add more extension in the future, but not sure when exactly )

Reactions: willmtaylor

Ndm2007

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2018
I am trying to use WideProtect on my iPhone X but there is no enabling button for it on my call blocking & identification settings. What am I missing? Thanks!

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
I am trying to use WideProtect on my iPhone X but there is no enabling button for it on my call blocking & identification settings. What am I missing? Thanks!

Yes, sometimes iOS behave a bit weird with these settings. Common way to resolve it:
- add at least one prefix to block
- go to Home screen and wait 5 minutes
- go to "iPhone Settings: Phone: Call Blocking & Identification." - extensions will appear

If not, restart please iPhone, wait 10 minutes, then check iPhone Settings - extensions should appear.
Let me know about results, please.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I been using this app for 5 days and so far no spam calls! Amazing!

mgeynis

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
Hey, Valerii,

My name is Michael, I live in Chicago. Just downloaded your WideProtect app. I am a bit paranoidal about security, so I am curious what type of data your app is collecting from my phone/account? My receive/outgoing calls? My contacts? Anything else? An yaccess to anythin gelse in my phone? I have iphone 6s, latest ios.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Michael

Hi everyone!

I've been developing Call Blocking application for iPhone, and I'd like to know any thoughts about it:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wideprotect-call-blocker/id1171024059

The main idea is blocking phone numbers using prefixes, so you can block entire area code, for example, or block prefix of your own number to prevent spammers spoofing your number.
The app is using CallKit features, and there is an iOS constraint about count of numbers to block, so now maximum is 20 millions numbers.

I hope that the app will be usefull for you!

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Hey, Valerii,

My name is Michael, I live in Chicago. Just downloaded your WideProtect app. I am a bit paranoidal about security, so I am curious what type of data your app is collecting from my phone/account? My receive/outgoing calls? My contacts? Anything else? An yaccess to anythin gelse in my phone? I have iphone 6s, latest ios.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael, thank you for using the app!
The app does not have access to your incoming/outgoing calls, and does not know when exactly the calls were blocked.
And in case you give access to your Contacts, the app uses only phone numbers (to exclude them from block list), and does not read names or other info, and of course never send it outside. More details here:
http://www.v-and.com/PrivacyWideProtect.aspx

mgeynis

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
Valerii, thanks! What are those multiple apps that I need to allow access WideProtect -1, 3, etc? Do I need to allow access to all of them? And what is the clickable 1-9 arrow shown on the top of the screen? Thanks!

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Valerii, thanks! What are those multiple apps that I need to allow access WideProtect -1, 3, etc? Do I need to allow access to all of them? And what is the clickable 1-9 arrow shown on the top of the screen? Thanks!

iOS allows to block only up to 2 millions numbers by one extension. So I have added 20 extensions to block up to 40 millions numbers.

You can enable all of them (they are not taking memory or energy), and they will be used when needed. Also the app tells you how many extensions you should enable to block all numbers you want.

1-9 button just displays prefixes in numeric order (when it's red :))

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
valerii the only bad thing about the app that sometimes I have to start over as in delete the app and readd it because one of the extensions get stuck with a loading circle constantly.

Then I have to readd all my numbers again :(

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
valerii the only bad thing about the app that sometimes I have to start over as in delete the app and readd it because one of the extensions get stuck with a loading circle constantly.

Then I have to readd all my numbers again :(

Yes, sometimes iOS get stucking there by unknown reasons... Next time try please:
- restart iPhone and wait 10 minutes
- go to Settings, if you see spinning wheels - go to Home and wait 15-20 minutes. If you don't - disable and enable the extension.

In some of the next version I will add import/export (or iCloud storing) of the prefixes, so it will be a bit easier to restore the list after app reinstalling. Thanks!

Fritzie

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
Yes, sometimes iOS get stucking there by unknown reasons... Next time try please:
- restart iPhone and wait 10 minutes
- go to Settings, if you see spinning wheels - go to Home and wait 15-20 minutes. If you don't - disable and enable the extension.

In some of the next version I will add import/export (or iCloud storing) of the prefixes, so it will be a bit easier to restore the list after app reinstalling. Thanks!

iCloud storage would be good. Have you added that yet?

zakiu

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
thanks for making this app, valerii. i have been looking for something like this! i bought and installed. will let you know if i see any problems and will make sure to write you a good review. in my case, the spammers always create VOIP accounts from the area code where i created my phone number, but i don't live there anymore. i always put in the extra effort to hide my number but the spammers eventually found me by spamming every number in the area code.

this is a very good solution for a lot of people. for example if i live in the (555)-XXX-XXX area code, i can get a new number from a rural (666)-XXX-XXX area code and then block all spam callers from (666) and live spam free, as everyone i need to talk to will be from (555)!

a question for you - are you able to see our phone numbers of people that have downloaded your app? i think this is a concern for a lot of people, especially given the current global political climate.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Does post #21 answer your question?

thanks for making this app, valerii. i have been looking for something like this! i bought and installed. will let you know if i see any problems and will make sure to write you a good review. in my case, the spammers always create VOIP accounts from the area code where i created my phone number, but i don't live there anymore. i always put in the extra effort to hide my number but the spammers eventually found me by spamming every number in the area code.

this is a very good solution for a lot of people. for example if i live in the (555)-XXX-XXX area code, i can get a new number from a rural (666)-XXX-XXX area code and then block all spam callers from (666) and live spam free, as everyone i need to talk to will be from (555)!

a question for you - are you able to see our phone numbers of people that have downloaded your app? i think this is a concern for a lot of people, especially given the current global political climate.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine

Hi, thank you!

No, the app does not send any numbers from your phone, as well as does not send any SMSs.
It's only using phone numbers from Contacts locally, to not block them. (and only if you allow it).
More details are here:
http://www.v-and.com/PrivacyWideProtect.aspx

Reactions: Audigy

robc_108

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2017
Hi Valerii

Your app definitely cool. I found this thread when trying to understand the enabling of extensions. Perhaps you could list this thread as a resource on your website to make it easier for others to understand how to use your app? Or make a FAQ?

I have been using Hiya for years. Because of recent nuisance calls from Somalia I installed your app and was happy for the country blocking feature. My question: If I only use your app for country blocking and continue to use Hiya as I have before, will these two apps conflict? And will your app block ONLY Somalia and let all others through and Hiya will take over the rest?

Or should I consider that your app will do all that Hiya does and just use it? I have HUNDREDS of blocked numbers stored.

Thank you again!

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Hi Valerii

Your app definitely cool. I found this thread when trying to understand the enabling of extensions. Perhaps you could list this thread as a resource on your website to make it easier for others to understand how to use your app? Or make a FAQ?

I have been using Hiya for years. Because of recent nuisance calls from Somalia I installed your app and was happy for the country blocking feature. My question: If I only use your app for country blocking and continue to use Hiya as I have before, will these two apps conflict? And will your app block ONLY Somalia and let all others through and Hiya will take over the rest?

Or should I consider that your app will do all that Hiya does and just use it? I have HUNDREDS of blocked numbers stored.

Thank you again!

Thank you!
Yes, I should add some FAQ to the app, will do it a bit later )

WideProtect can work together with Hiya, even more, you should use them both probably, because (as I know) Hiya has own database with spammers numbers. I am not sure if it blocks them or identify (I am not using Hiya), but they will not conflict anyway.
My app blocks only prefixes you have added, all other numbers are going through Hiya (or visa versa, firstly Hiya, then WideProtect, nobody knows which one is chosen by iOS firstly :))

Fritzie

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
Valerie, I did something stupid. I discovered that WideProtect had gotten "offloaded" because I have too many apps, and the dreaded Publisher's Clearing House calls started coming in from Jamaica again. So I turned on 17 of the gizmos and decided that was enough, since #16 took only a minute for the spinning ball to stop spinning. Then I looked at a few other settings and for some reason I touched the WideProtect app again and it started re-doing stuff. So, in spite of the WARNING, I turned my phone off, because when I was doing a bunch at once my phone started getting hot. So now that I've turned my phone ON again, #1 has been spinning and spinning. The others that I had already turned on seem still turned on, but I'm starting to think #1 will never finish. What should I do?
[doublepost=1549478975][/doublepost]
Valerie, I did something stupid. I discovered that WideProtect had gotten "offloaded" because I have too many apps, and the dreaded Publisher's Clearing House calls started coming in from Jamaica again. So I turned on 17 of the gizmos and decided that was enough, since #16 took only a minute for the spinning ball to stop spinning. Then I looked at a few other settings and for some reason I touched the WideProtect app again and it started re-doing stuff. So, in spite of the WARNING, I turned my phone off, because when I was doing a bunch at once my phone started getting hot. So now that I've turned my phone ON again, #1 has been spinning and spinning. The others that I had already turned on seem still turned on, but I'm starting to think #1 will never finish. What should I do?

Since my post, I've turned my phone completely off and back on, twice. #1 is still spinning.

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
WideProtect does a decent job blocking and keeping the spam calls from being logged in the “Recents” calls list.
But for some reason, if “Do Not Disturb” is on, then the blocked calls will show up in the “Recents” calls list even if they were blocked successfully. Maybe I’m OCD but when I block a spam call I don’t want it logged in “Recents” either.
Neighborhood spoofing is at epidemic levels at well over a Billion calls every month is the US. Spam calls disrupt and cause loss of productivity in every segment of the workforce. Yet the govt does nothing.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
[doublepost=1549478975][/doublepost]

Since my post, I've turned my phone completely off and back on, twice. #1 is still spinning.

Hi, replied you via email, please check your mailbox :)
[doublepost=1549523769][/doublepost]
WideProtect does a decent job blocking and keeping the spam calls from being logged in the “Recents” calls list.
But for some reason, if “Do Not Disturb” is on, then the blocked calls will show up in the “Recents” calls list even if they were blocked successfully. Maybe I’m OCD but when I block a spam call I don’t want it logged in “Recents” either.
Neighborhood spoofing is at epidemic levels at well over a Billion calls every month is the US. Spam calls disrupt and cause loss of productivity in every segment of the workforce. Yet the govt does nothing.

Yes, there is iOS bug/feature - in DND mode blocked calls are still coming to Home screen and to "Recent" list, but silently.
I am trying to get answers about it from Apple many months, but unsuccessfully...

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Yes, there is iOS bug/feature - in DND mode blocked calls are still coming to Home screen and to "Recent" list, but silently.
I am trying to get answers about it from Apple many months, but unsuccessfully...
Also, there’s another limitation with blocking calls....they still get through to your voicemail. That’s a huge annoyance. To make matters worse, carriers like Verizon no longer allow you to disable your own voicemail.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Also, there’s another limitation with blocking calls....they still get through to your voicemail. That’s a huge annoyance. To make matters worse, carriers like Verizon no longer allow you to disable your own voicemail.

Yes, you are right. Someone finds it useful (to have ability to check that they don't miss important call), someone not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.