Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I am using app called Number Shield, does WideProtect work differently or do the same thing? I am interested in trying this app.

Last edited:

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
I am using app called Number Shield, does WideProtect work differently or do the same thing? I am interested in trying this app.
Looks like this app is similar to mine, I have never used it, just read app description right now.
Could you tell me how many "Number Shield" extensions you see under iPhone Settings? To block up to 50 millions numbers there should be 25 items.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Under the Call blocking & identification tab I only see 1 Number Shield extension, but within app it’s showing 10000 numbers blocked when I input only 1 spam call number +888828####

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Under the Call blocking & identification tab I only see 1 Number Shield extension, but within app it’s showing 10000 numbers blocked when I input only 1 spam call number +888828####

Then I believe that this app can block only 2 millions numbers, you can't block even one whole area code using it.
iOS has restriction - one extension can block only 2 millions numbers, that's why my app has 20 extensions (to block 40 million numbers).

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Here are screenshots of the app description and within app. I will try your app!

Attachments

• F7003BF7-3E13-4547-8177-0C66D5086D83.jpeg
    F7003BF7-3E13-4547-8177-0C66D5086D83.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 226
  • DA6751FD-B0F3-489A-9DCA-23A2CF3BA23A.jpeg
    DA6751FD-B0F3-489A-9DCA-23A2CF3BA23A.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 223
  • A1890AF5-11F9-4F18-A675-FA60344B6BE8.jpeg
    A1890AF5-11F9-4F18-A675-FA60344B6BE8.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 254

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Here are screenshots of the app description and within app. I will try your app!

Thank you, actually it's easy to check.
For example, you have a friend with number +1 425 555-5555
Just add to the app (Number Shield) on your device two prefixes:
+1 210 ###-####
+1 425 ###-####
And ask friend to call you. I think the call will not be blocked.

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
New version (4.4) is just published!

Added ability to block up to 50 millions numbers (5 whole USA area codes), and optimized algorithm of block list updating - in some cases it will work much more faster :)

Reactions: Audigy

sofdog

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Sorry, but I'm throwing in the towel and putting my phone on permanent Do Not Disturb.

This app worked great for about 2 weeks. I was happy to block the daily calls from my same area code and prefix. Then I started getting calls from other countries. It has just becomes one big game of Whack-A-Mole. As soon as I blocked Slovakia, I got calls from Belarus, then Lithuania, then Serbia, Russia, Mauritania, Ukraine, etc.

I don't call or get calls from any friends outside the US. I wish there was an option to just block all international calls.

Reactions: willmtaylor

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Sorry, but I'm throwing in the towel and putting my phone on permanent Do Not Disturb.

This app worked great for about 2 weeks. I was happy to block the daily calls from my same area code and prefix. Then I started getting calls from other countries. It has just becomes one big game of Whack-A-Mole. As soon as I blocked Slovakia, I got calls from Belarus, then Lithuania, then Serbia, Russia, Mauritania, Ukraine, etc.

I don't call or get calls from any friends outside the US. I wish there was an option to just block all international calls.

Sorry to hear that :( but I can't block so many numbers...
I don't see any changes in iOS 13 so far, which would allow to block calls on the fly.

Audigy

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012

I had the same issue, it was driving me to the point of the huge hassle of changing my number. In the meantime I switched that SIM to a Google Pixel 3 and activated the anti-spam feature in the native dialer app. I don't trust any 3rd party app with my contacts information so I stuck with that. Fortunately that alone reduced the spam calls from the order of dozens per day to just one or two, sometimes days pass by without any spam call I just see them blocked in the call history. And that is even without using the Pixel's Call Screen feature.

iOS needs desperately of better native call control/filter options.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Are there any downsides to enabling all 25, especially if I'm just blocking a few numbers?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
@valerii Downloaded your app this morning--tired of Hiya not doing anything.

I repeatedly get spoofed spam calls "from" the same area code and prefixes. Hoping this fixes it.

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
IMO, the best solution is a CAPTCHA challenge–response test that the robocaller must answer before the call is connected. This would stop 99% of robocalls. People in your Contacts would be whitelisted of course.
Another idea is make robocalling a criminal offense (which it's not). No one has ever been arrested for robocalls, ever. The FTC might in rare cases may impose fines but they're never paid....it's a toothless tiger.

Pixietwin

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2019
Is there somewhere I can find a user guide? Not very technical here I need to know how to block entire area code? I went to the app which I did purchase and I entered the area code followed by a bunch of zeros. Is that the correct way to block all calls from that area code? Still would be interested in a basic user guide.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
IMO, the best solution is a CAPTCHA challenge–response test that the robocaller must answer before the call is connected. This would stop 99% of robocalls. People in your Contacts would be whitelisted of course.
Another idea is make robocalling a criminal offense (which it's not). No one has ever been arrested for robocalls, ever. The FTC might in rare cases may impose fines but they're never paid....it's a toothless tiger.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/27/...s-higher-goals-veterans-of-america-pointbreak

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...8-million-since-2015-but-collected-only-6790/

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Is there somewhere I can find a user guide? Not very technical here I need to know how to block entire area code? I went to the app which I did purchase and I entered the area code followed by a bunch of zeros. Is that the correct way to block all calls from that area code? Still would be interested in a basic user guide.

Hi, please take a look at this video:
Sorry for my English, it's not my native language :)

Reactions: MacCelebration
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.