Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris4943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2016
I have a room with bad wifi reception.
I want to run an ethernet cable from my router to that room, and then have a device broadcast wifi.
Is there such a device, or did I just invent a new thing?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have a room with bad wifi reception.
I want to run an ethernet cable from my router to that room, and then have a device broadcast wifi.
Is there such a device, or did I just invent a new thing?

Yes, that’s a real thing. You can use almost any wifi router or access point for that purpose. If you do it with a router, just set it up in “access point” mode (Different names for different brands - “extend network,” etc.). What you are doing is called a “wired backhaul.” I used to do it with Apple airports, but pretty much any router will support it.

Alternatively you can switch to a mesh system like Eero, which is designed to do this, but you’d want to make sure you pick a brand that supports wired backhaul (I currently use Synology, which supports this). The advantage of a “mesh” system is that if you walk back and forth between rooms, it should seamlessly switch between access points, and not lose its connection.

Chris4943

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2016
Thank you thank you thank you!
Everybody I asked kept pushing wireless extenders on me which I don’t want to use due to multiple walls between the router and room.
thanks.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
One other way to do it is with a power line extender, if you don’t want to run an Ethernet cable. This uses your existing power lines to extend the signal from one room to another, essentially turning your in-wall power wiring into Ethernet. These typically come with two small boxes. One is plugged into your router and a wall power socket. The other is plugged into the room where you need coverage. Many of these broadcast WiFi in that second room, but many alternatively simply provide an Ethernet jack in the second room (which you then plug an access point or WiFi router into, same as if it was Ethernet). The best of these support about half the speed of a cat5 cable, which is usually good enough for most uses.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sounds like what you need is a "mesh" style router with multiple nodes... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.