Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

move300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
Hi,
i have problem with my wifi that i see "X" on the wifi icon on the status bar.
i looked on web and any solutions that i found not helped.
when I enter the network settings it doesn't show the wifi options and if i try the wi-fi It doesn't allow me.
any suggestions? for now i am working with my USB iphone...

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Open System Preferences->Network Pane and create a custom name and save that new Location. Then try to join making sure your router doesn’t do MAC Address function in your router!

move300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
Open System Preferences->Network Pane and create a custom name and save that new Location. Then try to join making sure your router doesn’t do MAC Address function in your router!
What do you min with "Open custom name"?

move300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
Any name YOU want!
OK... But what i need to choose from the options?(picture)
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 12.45.01.png

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
You created a new Interface, back out it!

the naming feature is at the top of the main Network pane in drop down! There make a new custom Location naming it whatever you want and Apply/Save that customEd name Location. Then re-connect to your wireless network!

move300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2019
You created a new Interface, back out it!

the naming feature is at the top of the main Network pane in drop down! There make a new custom Location naming it whatever you want and Apply/Save that customEd name Location. Then re-connect to your wireless network!
So, i tried and when i making a new location, still the wifi symbol says that the wifi not configured.
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 21.00.18.png

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The grayed-out wifi icon with an 'X' can indicate either that wifi has been disabled, or that the OS can't find wifi hardware (hardware failure).

Run Wireless Diagnostics: Hold the Option key and click on the wifi icon, and choose Wireless Diagnostics from the menu. See what it tells you.

You can also open System Report > Network > Wi-Fi. Look for Interfaces - it should detect a card type (probably AirPort Extreme). If not - hardware.

You could also boot your Mac into Recovery Mode. https://support.apple.com/HT201314 and check the Wi-Fi icon again. If Wi-Fi works, then there's something about your normal wifi configuration that needs to be changed. If you see the same icon as previously, you may have a hardware problem.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Open Network Preferences. Does Wi-Fi appear in the left-hand column?

If not, click the '+' button at the bottom of the lefthand column and choose "Wi-Fi" from the Interface drop-down list.

If that wasn't the issue, refer again to my suggestion to run Wireless Diagnostics in my previous post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.