Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apulk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Sewickley, PA
Is this a pervasive problem? I spend 40 mins on a call with Apple support last week and they said it's a problem with Starbucks and McDonald's etc. wifi security and has NOTHING to do with Catalina -- only thing is I work in one of these places just about every day and things were fine the day before I "upgraded" to Catalina. I found out by accident that if you boot to Safe mode the pop-up window at both places will open -- you can then press accept and then reboot without safe mode and it holds the connection. Seriously stupid issue.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is this a pervasive problem? I spend 40 mins on a call with Apple support last week and they said it's a problem with Starbucks and McDonald's etc. wifi security and has NOTHING to do with Catalina -- only thing is I work in one of these places just about every day and things were fine the day before I "upgraded" to Catalina. I found out by accident that if you boot to Safe mode the pop-up window at both places will open -- you can then press accept and then reboot without safe mode and it holds the connection. Seriously stupid issue.
Do you have some third party utility installed, such as Little Snitch, which might be blocking internet access from the Captive Network Assistant?

Auld Grey Loon

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
I’m having the same problem using hotel WiFi. If a sign in page is required it won’t bring it up. Was fine before upgrading. Very frustrating.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Is a common known issue with iPhones and iPads.

The solution with them is to download the Captive method fix and implement it using the Shortcuts app.

What you could try is to connect to a public wifi and then visit a http:// website and not an https:// website, that might fix it. But will need to be done each time.

This is a hardware defect.

Auld Grey Loon

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
Could you expand on it being a hardware defect. WiFi is fine with open and secure networks that require a password. It’s just sign in pages that won’t appear.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Could you expand on it being a hardware defect. WiFi is fine with open and secure networks that require a password. It’s just sign in pages that won’t appear.

Yes. I have had this issue. Apple gives you a new device if under warranty.

apulk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Sewickley, PA
Is a common known issue with iPhones and iPads.

The solution with them is to download the Captive method fix and implement it using the Shortcuts app.

What you could try is to connect to a public wifi and then visit a http:// website and not an https:// website, that might fix it. But will need to be done each time.

This is a hardware defect.

This issue is on a current model MacBook Pro with the latest OS. I traveled last week too and it didn’t work in hotels or the convention. Had to boot into safe mode so the wifi screen work open to accept their usage agreement then rebooted and it would be fine.

Auld Grey Loon

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
I just tried the safe boot suggestion as I'm travelling at the moment. It worked fine. Seems like a OS issue to me. My experience is the same as yours though. Worked fine until the upgrade.

Reactions: apulk

tommyllguns

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
Has anyone found a solution to this? I travel a lot with work and it's monumentally annoying having to close down everything just to be able to connect to the hotel wifi.

The fact that the captive window opens in safe mode made me think it might be some software I have that isn't supported under Catalina. I deleted my VPN and it worked - once. Now I'm back to having to reboot every time.

Really surprised apple haven't sorted this out yet.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Has anyone found a solution to this? I travel a lot with work and it's monumentally annoying having to close down everything just to be able to connect to the hotel wifi.

The fact that the captive window opens in safe mode made me think it might be some software I have that isn't supported under Catalina. I deleted my VPN and it worked - once. Now I'm back to having to reboot every time.

Really surprised apple haven't sorted this out yet.

The captive method works without safe mode as well

apulk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Sewickley, PA
Upgraded today to 10.15.2 -- no mention in the release notes that it would fix a public wi-fi issue but guess what -- it's fixed. Guess it's just a coincidence. Just glad it's finally resolved.

Auld Grey Loon

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
Upgraded today to 10.15.2 -- no mention in the release notes that it would fix a public wi-fi issue but guess what -- it's fixed. Guess it's just a coincidence. Just glad it's finally resolved.
Good news. I upgraded this morning before travelling next week over christmas. I was sceptical after reading the release notes so that is great news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.