Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
I've spent some time searching the interweb with regards to whether Dirt4 will run on my cMP 12-core Xeon X5680.

The specs say the game requires a 1.8Ghz Intel Core i5 processor or better.

My cMP (4,1>5,1) is 12-core X5680 (check my sig for other specs), so this isn't an i-Series CPU. Are my dual Xeon X5680s still good enough to play this game? Is there microarchitecture specific to the i-Series CPUs that the Xeons don't have that are essential for this game to play/run on a Mac?

I can't run Northgard at all under macOS. But Northgard does run perfectly when I boot into Win10Pro on my cMP. Heaps of people are also experiencing this same problem and have posted faults on Steam, however the developer has not come out with a fix nor provided any information as to why it doesn't work on some Macs. I don't want to run into the same problem if I purchase Dirt4.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
It works fine for me on a 4.1 flashed to 5.1 with X5675s and RX580 running 10.14.5.

Reactions: JedNZ

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I've spent some time searching the interweb with regards to whether Dirt4 will run on my cMP 12-core Xeon X5680.

The specs say the game requires a 1.8Ghz Intel Core i5 processor or better.

My cMP (4,1>5,1) is 12-core X5680 (check my sig for other specs), so this isn't an i-Series CPU. Are my dual Xeon X5680s still good enough to play this game? Is there microarchitecture specific to the i-Series CPUs that the Xeons don't have that are essential for this game to play/run on a Mac?

I can't run Northgard at all under macOS. But Northgard does run perfectly when I boot into Win10Pro on my cMP. Heaps of people are also experiencing this same problem and have posted faults on Steam, however the developer has not come out with a fix nor provided any information as to why it doesn't work on some Macs. I don't want to run into the same problem if I purchase Dirt4.
Yes. One of these CPUs is overkill for anything that requires an i5.
We essentially have (while slightly older) dual i7s.
I haven't ran into a game I couldn't play yet. I used to play Rise of the tomb raider, and Forza Horizon 3 on my Mac Pro 3,1 with a GTX 1060 installed and it handled it great. At mostly high settings. The 5,1 is a whole other level at that point.

Also just an FYI Xeon = high grade server/workstation CPU
i Series = consumer level tech.

Reactions: JedNZ

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
We essentially have (while slightly older) dual i7s.
Aah, didn't know that. So for most (if not all) games that require an i5 or better I should be right?

Dirt4 is playing beautifully. The GPU handles it really well - no tearing, glitches or other oddities.

And Northgard has just been upgraded and is NOW FINALLY working for me in macOS. Many in the Mac community have had issues running this. I had to switch to Win10 to play it, but now can do it all on macOS.

Reactions: Project Alice
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.