Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Be honest, no b.s. simple If the 2020 iPhone only has a Lightning jack and No USB-C will you buy it ?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yeah, why won’t anyone buy anyway? We’ve been buying iPhones with lightning connectors since iPhone 4 days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: jbachandouris

Moriend87

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
Yea it would be very stupid to have it be usb c if they plan on getting rid of the port altogether the following year. Waste of money for the customers having to buy all new cables.

Reactions: ACB 123

Moriend87

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
If they weren’t doing away with ports altogether then I would hope and expect USB-C to be on the next model. I don’t want lightning if ports are sticking around.

I’d agree with this. If they are keeping ports for the next couple years then make the swap to usb c. If they are changing to port less in a year it’s a waste to do usb c.

Reactions: ACB 123

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I mean, all our current iPhones use lightning anyway. So, if you don’t buy a USB C equipped iPhone in 2020, you’re still left with your current lightning iPhone. At that point, if you buy a lightning 2020 iPhone or not, it’s all up to whether you have the money or not to do so.
I wish Apple went all USB C so I could take one less cord when traveling but I’ve been doing regardless anyway. I’m not gonna get mad one way or another.

Reactions: rMBP2013

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Yes of course. We have 6 devices in our home all of which use lightening cables or wireless. USB C would be useless in our home.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I don’t care very much. I have a Lightning charger and USB-C charger beside my bed. It would be nice if I could use my MacBook Pro charger for both my laptop and iPhone but it’s not a must have feature for me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
USB-C is completely unnecessary for me. I Suspect USB-C is probably not relevant for the majority consumers right now, lightning is still very much dominant and will be for years to come with third-party products and lightning enabled devices that still correlate to the iPhone.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
I don’t care either way. But honestly, now that all their computers have usb c ports, it’s the other end of the cord I’m more concerned with. It would make sense for the opposite end (and the wall wart) to be usb c so that you could plug an iPhone directly into a MacBook Pro, or a MacBook Pro charger for faster charging (assuming that won’t damage the battery, I have no idea)

I like the way the lighting connector fits into the iPhone, and that it can’t get full of dust/dirt the way a usb c connector could. It’s solid and very reliable. But I wouldn’t complain if Apple switched it to usb c.

The loss of the MagSafe power connector on MacBooks would still bother me much more. Just imagine, those new MacBook pros could have had all four ports free while plugged into a trip safe power cord. I have no idea why they ditched this - just to prove it could be powered by any one of the ports? So what, they could have done that and left the mag safe.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I have no idea why they ditched this - just to prove it could be powered by any one of the ports? So what, they could have done that and left the mag safe.
Probably because MagSafe was slow, as it didn't support a high enough amperage. Batteries are growing bigger, and customers keep demanding shorter charging times. USB-C allows for fast, intelligent charging.

Reactions: rMBP2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.