Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Hi bobesch,

To get the virtual switch functioning I had to copy the binaries from the 7.0.2 version to
/Library/Extensions/VirtualPCNetworking1040.kext/Content/Macos ( both files ) and
then load the kext by hand:
sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/VirtualPCNetworking1040.kext
After this it works if you select in VPC preferences the virtual swith to use the built-in instead of
default ( this users the wired interface ).
Best regards,
voidRunner

Once again I tried to get my 15"PB-G4/VPC7/WinXP-SP2-Fundamentals to connect through Shrew Soft VPN client 2.2.2 with my Win2008Server.
Copied the whole settings of Shrew Soft VPN client from a fully working Win7-VM/Fusion/intel-MBP to that WinXP-Fundamentals-VM on the PowerBook.
Connection can be established, but I can't Ping the WinServer-adress.
Maybe, it's due to the fact, that I couldn't get the VirtualSwitch to work. Even downgraded VPC7.03 to VPC7.02.
But could not run the "sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/VirtualPCNetworking1040.kext", because response was, that "kextutil" couln't be found ...
Is there anything else I can try?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
But could not run the "sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/VirtualPCNetworking1040.kext", because response was, that "kextutil" couln't be found ...
Is there anything else I can try?

Try kextload instead of kextutil, so that the command is

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/VirtualPCNetworking1040.kext

after you've copied in the binaries as pointed out by @vddrnnr.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi bobesch,

Amethyst1 is right I forgot in Leopard kextutil does not exist. Sorry for that.

Best regards,
voidRunner

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Try kextload instead of kextutil, so that the command is

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/VirtualPCNetworking1040.kext

after you've copied in the binaries as pointed out by @vddrnnr.
Great, running kextload command in terminal did work, but when booting virtual WinFundamentals I still got the error-message, that the "emulated Ethernet-Controller could not be initialized" and "Ethernet-funktion is not available"
I'm running VPC7.02 just now. Would it make a difference to install VPC7.03 and then change back the files within /Library/Extensions/VirtualPCNetworking1040.kext/Content/Macos to those ones from the VPC7.02 version?
Or is there any other trick?
Many thanks for your help!

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Pretty sure I read back in the day that VPC5 was the fastest release and VPC7 the slowest. Depending upon what support and features you need it might be worth dialling back a version or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.