Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
We have an espresso thread so I figured and that we needed one for both wine and beer drinkers here.

Kicking it-- I'm a huge fan of cabs and sauvignon blancs.

Reactions: mgguy

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Wine... well, the Russian River Valley is growing some superb Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. I've also been getting into Viognier, Marsanne, and Roussanne both as single varietals and blends.

And I've had the pleasure of tasting some of the very fine wines from around Pauillac, Margaux, et alia.

Reactions: jazz1

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Wine... well, the Russian River Valley is growing some superb Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. I've also been getting into Viognier, Marsanne, and Roussanne both as single varietals and blends.

And I've had the pleasure of tasting some of the very fine wines from around Pauillac, Margaux, et alia.

How is the Chateau Margaux? I am jealous. That one is a dream if I can order a glass of it.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
How is the Chateau Margaux? I am jealous. That one is a dream if I can order a glass of it.

Unfortunately I've never tasted any of the Premiers Crus (with the exception of a mighty fine Sauternes). The wine I had, quite a few years ago now, was a 1982 Château Rauzan-Ségla, which is merely Deuxièmes Crus. I wish I had taken notes because all these years later all I can recall was splitting with my father one of the most fascinating (and probably the most expensive) bottles of wine I'd ever have.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Unfortunately I've never tasted any of the Premiers Crus (with the exception of a mighty fine Sauternes). The wine I had, quite a few years ago now, was a 1982 Château Rauzan-Ségla, which is merely Deuxièmes Crus. I wish I had taken notes because all these years later all I can recall was splitting with my father one of the most fascinating (and probably the most expensive) bottles of wine I'd ever have.

Sweet... all I need to find is one of these:
400px-Yquem_73.jpg

That would be a complete experience onto itself.

Reactions: mobilehaathi

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I'm just a casual wine drinker, but I do love a good cabernet sauvignon.

I'm more of a whiskey, scotch, and beer guy.

Probably the two best beers in recent memory I've had were:

I'm a big fan of IPAs and Ambers, but will pretty much go for anything except dark porters.

Those are both great! If you happen to enjoy sour beers you might check out the Oud Beersel lambic.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I'm just a casual wine drinker, but I do love a good cabernet sauvignon.

I'm more of a whiskey, scotch, and beer guy.

Probably the two best beers in recent memory I've had were:

Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue)

Aventinus Eisbock

I'm a big fan of IPAs and Ambers, but will pretty much go for anything except dark porters.

Not a big fan of Chimay, now granted I haven't had this one in particular though.

Aventinus is now on my list of beers to try!

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
I like wine and beer, mostly german beers like Becks, Jever, Warsteiner, Bitburger and some of the wheat beers, here especially Paulaner Kristallweizen, it's just a PITA to get here in Canada. I do like Corona as well as it's nice and refreshing and light in the summer. I don't mind some of the Canadian beer but I usually stick to German or Belgian like Stella Artois.

When I moved over from Germany I did switch to wine pretty soon, Californian Chardonnays, nothing special - wineries like J.Lohr, Bonterra, Ghost Pines(!) and some Sauvignon Blancs - Mondavi's Fume Blanc is nice and crisp. And then also some reds, Ravenswood Cabarnet Sauvignon, Condundrum Red Blend.

And then there's Gin.... :D

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well I like wine and I like beer so this thread is for me! :D

I live in Geneva Switzerland which is not only neighbour to three great and well known wine producing countries, France, Italy and Germany but produces some darn good wine itself.

Even the local (I mean local local in the Canton of Geneva) wines have gotten much better. The best known are the wines of the bilingual Canton of Valais:

http://www.lesvinsduvalais.ch/wine-producer/accueil.html

In regards o beer-we get the best of the continent here. One of my favourite pubs has excellent fresh Staropromen from the Czech republic on tap. There are several very good artisan breweries as well. Two worthy of mention:

http://www.calvinus.ch/
A Geneva beer inspired by Monsieur Calvin.

http://www.brasseriebfm.ch/en
Brassiere de la Franche Montagne from the Jura.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Between the two, I'd choose wine. A glass of Shiraz once in a while is great, however I don't really have any preference regarding the vineyard/year.

Beer to me just tastes nasty - definitely an acquired taste. The closest I have come to drinking beer is through the "Straw-Ber-Rita" and cider.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Wines.

I like wine, mostly Bas-Médoc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Riesling wines from Rheinhessen.

But I love beer.

Being just a few kilometres from Belgium means I am never short of a few brews.

Beer01_zpsd94d02a8.jpg

What has surprised me in the last decade is just how good American Craft Beer has become, such a vast change to how it was in the 1980’s.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Wines.

I like wine, mostly Bas-Médoc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Riesling wines from Rheinhessen.

But I love beer.

Being just a few kilometres from Belgium means I am never short of a few brews.

What has surprised me in the last decade is just how good American Craft Beer has become, such a vast change to how it was in the 1980’s.

That looks like heaven. Minus the Heineken. Man, do I hate Heineken. I'm no beer snob, though. I've got a half case of Coors Light sitting in my garage.

---

I forgot about a beer I found this fall I was a huge fan of - Sierra Nevada Flipside Red IPA. I thought it was great. We had beer donated for a work event and had a tasting there, had some, and fell in love. Only one store near me sold it.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Beer. All the way.

Belgium's, English, American, Strong Ales, Dark Ales, Stouts, Hefs, Porters, IPA's, Imperial IPA's, Imperal Stouts. Not real big into the fruit beers.

One of my favorites is Stone's Arrogant Basterad Ale. Love it!

So pretty much beer in General...lol.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
When it comes to food... how do you guys enjoy pairing... wine or beer? :D

Kind of depends on the food....

While certainly there is nothing wrong with having wine with pizza, my preference would be beer. On the other hand, with a grey sole I find a white wine to be more pleasing.

I'm sure it doesn't need saying (meaning I will say it anyway:p)...it's all really a matter of individual taste.:)

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Depends on the food. I find the traditional rules are a good place to start, but as I have enjoyed red wine with poultry on occasion would never say they should be a straitjacket. ;)

I wonder how well red wine and fish or sushi would pair up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.