Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Ah, thank you.

I must investigate further, and see what the people I know who work in the trade have to say.

If true, this would be most unfortunate, as it is an excellent beer, one of my own all time personal favourites, and a beer that I would miss considerably; actually, to my mind, CBS is even better than KBS, which itself is an excellent beer.

Agreed. It is one of my favorites. But then again, they did this about six or seven years ago where they stopped production only to bring it back. But from the looks of it now, they are not going to produce anymore anytime soon.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agreed. It is one of my favorites. But then again, they did this about six or seven years ago where they stopped production only to bring it back. But from the looks of it now, they are not going to produce anymore anytime soon.

I remember reading about that, when they announced that production was to cease, a number of years ago.

But, as you so rightly say, they did indeed bring it back; while I don't doubt that they may wish to experiment further with the development of further brews, this is no reason to discontinue the production of a superb beer.

I know that last year - when the RCMP objected to a Mountie being depicted on the image on the bottle (the Mountie was withdrawn, hence the riderless horse) - they faced some slight difficulties, but, having met the concerns of the RCMP, this should in no way prevent production of the beer.

Ah, well. Must look into this further.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, that is the kind of size that I am buying for reds.

The dessert wines are usually 37.5cl .

Yes, I know that the dessert wines often come in 375cl bottles; however, unless I am in a pub (and they don't have a number of full sized bottles open), I rarely buy 25cl bottles of wine.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes, I know that the dessert wines often come in 375cl bottles; however, unless I am in a pub (and they don't have a number of full sized bottles open), I rarely buy 25cl bottles of wine.
Of course.

There are not many that small. I will have to move to 37.5cl .

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I liked it better one day after first opening it, so I guess it was indeed not ready.

It was supposed to mature by 2020-2021.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I liked it better one day after first opening it, so I guess it was indeed not ready.

In truth, unless there is no other alternative available, I really don't like the small bottles of wine, as - to be candid, I have log noticed that the quality (and variety) of the wine in these bottles is nowhere nearly as good as that which can be obtained in larger bottles.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
In truth, unless there is no other alternative available, I really don't like the small bottles of wine, as - to be candid, I have log noticed that the quality (and variety) of the wine in these bottles is nowhere nearly as good as that which can be obtained in larger bottles.
The selection is very limited, but the ones I bought were just packaged smaller.

You can't find fault in a wine when you open it too early.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I never had canned wine. It makes me cringe.

I saw wine in a sachet. Ugly.

Of course no tetra-pack.

I like real cork.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I never had canned wine. It makes me cringe.

I saw wine in a sachet. Ugly.

Of course no tetra-pack.

I like real cork.

As do I, to be honest.

While I - personally - have never bought tetra-pack wine, I have had it served to me when invited to dinner in a friend's house some years ago. As a good guest, I had brought two bottles of pretty good Italian wine, and, as a good guest, when offered the tetra-pack wine, naturally, I accepted it.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
A glass of 25 year old Armagnac.

I have a half bottle left of a 10year old Armagnac 'De Loyac' that I must have bought at least 16 years ago. I'm pretty sure it doesn't improve once bottled, but won't get worse either.
Another Armagnac that I have and generally keep for guests is 'Saint Vivant', which is the one with the strange crooked-neck bottle. Photo to follow tomorrow (it's very late here now).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have a half bottle left of a 10year old Armagnac 'De Loyac' that I must have bought at least 16 years ago. I'm pretty sure it doesn't improve once bottled, but won't get worse either.
Another Armagnac that I have and generally keep for guests is 'Saint Vivant', which is the one with the strange crooked-neck bottle. Photo to follow tomorrow (it's very late here now).

No, it won't get worse, and should drink very well.

Look forward to seeing the picture.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It seems that with most modern wine, it is not worth ageing more than 5 or eventually 10 years.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Valais AOC (2018) œil-de-perdrix. 13.5%.
Excellent, one of the best things when I came to Switzerland was discovering the relatively unknown and excellent local wines. Plus visiting wineries.

One of the most memorable was a few years back after being invited to a friend's wedding where the reception was held in a local winery.

This one

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
No, it won't get worse, and should drink very well.

Look forward to seeing the picture.

The 10year old Armagnac is shown just behind the other.
2Armgns.jpg

What do they taste like, you may be asking?
Firstly, I should hastily add that I'm not a frequent drinker of spirits. The same however cannot be said about good red wine......;)
Both the above I would state are, "more than drinkable". However the first thing that came to mind was that they are as different as chalk and cheese! Perhaps the difference in colour may speak volumes, as seen below:
Armgns2b.jpg

The 10(+) year old in the foreground has a richer dark-straw colour, and is a far more smoother, satisfying taste. On tasting the other one first, it initially took my breath away, and had a much stronger taste, and far less smooth (I hesitate to use the word 'rough'), but for those who prefer a strong initial kick to the taste, this would be the one to choose. For the more discerning drinker of spirits, particularly Armagnac, the aged bottle is imho the better of the two.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The 10year old Armagnac is shown just behind the other.
View attachment 880428

What do they taste like, you may be asking?
Firstly, I should hastily add that I'm not a frequent drinker of spirits. The same however cannot be said about good red wine......;)
Both the above I would state are, "more than drinkable". However the first thing that came to mind was that they are as different as chalk and cheese! Perhaps the difference in colour may speak volumes, as seen below:
View attachment 880434

The 10(+) year old in the foreground has a richer dark-straw colour, and is a far more smoother, satisfying taste. On tasting the other one first, it initially took my breath away, and had a much stronger taste, and far less smooth (I hesitate to use the word 'rough'), but for those who prefer a strong initial kick to the taste, this would be the one to choose. For the more discerning drinker of spirits, particularly Armagnac, the aged bottle is imho the better of the two.

Thank you for sharing, and from what you have written, it seems that your conclusions on the mater would be pretty much the same as mine.

These days, I don't much care - actually, I don't care at all - for "rough" spirits, that initial sharp sensation of a "kick" to the taste and a palate - they are best reserved for hot whiskies, hot cognacs, hot ports, - but far prefer that wonderfully smooth, svelte sensation (that still retains a bit of heat) that one gets with an aged cognac, or Armagnac.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Excellent, one of the best things when I came to Switzerland was discovering the relatively unknown and excellent local wines. Plus visiting wineries.

One of the most memorable was a few years back after being invited to a friend's wedding where the reception was held in a local winery.

This one
It was also a 25cl bottle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.