Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An Argentinian sweet white wine which Is likely the most popular will also come in small cans (with expiration date) from next year

I guess it is OK for common sweet white wine, if you drink it from a glass. But then you could just buy a whole bottle.

This seems to be mostly for people who will drink straight from the can outside.

Although then there was this some months ago:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/20/woman-drinking-pink-gin-wine-glass-tube-instantly-iconic-10019874/

Drinking beer from a can is bad enough; I prefer to sip beer (irrespective of whether it pours from a can or from a bottle) from a glass. However, drinking wine from a can is........something that gives rise to an uncontrollable shudder; simply put, this is not classy.

Reactions: CooperBox

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Drinking beer from a can is bad enough; I prefer to sip beer (irrespective of whether it pours from a can or from a bottle) from a glass. However, drinking wine from a can is........something that gives rise to an uncontrollable shudder; simply put, this is not classy.
Just thinking about it gives me a metallic shiver.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Not a fan of synthetic corks, myself.
Neither am I. With very few exceptions (which I'll enlarge on in a follow-up post), most wines I've tasted from a synthetic corked bottle generally have that 'below average' taste about it.
It's usually far better to buy a non-expensive AOC French produced wine from a recommended vineyard (which will have a cork stopper) rather than a slightly more expensive vins de pays, vins de table or IGP region wine, which is far more likely to have a synthetic cork.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Neither am I. With very few exceptions (which I'll enlarge on in a follow-up post), most wines I've tasted from a synthetic corked bottle generally have that 'below average' taste about it.
It's usually far better to buy a non-expensive AOC French produced wine from a recommended vineyard (which will have a cork stopper) rather than a slightly more expensive vins de pays, vins de table or IGP region wine, which is far more likely to have a synthetic cork.

I'm pretty much in agreement with you on everything that you have written.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A tree must grow 80 years before cork can be harvested.

Wineries in 11 Spanish regions must use natural cork to get DO status.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think it can be fewer than 80 years for wine, but the good one is obtained from the third harvest (between 9 and 14 years between each one). The second one for lower quality.

The tree lives around 150 years so it is possible to perform between 12 and 15 harvests.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think it can be fewer than 80 years for wine, but the good one is obtained from the third harvest (between 9 and 14 years between each one). The second one for lower quality.

The tree lives around 150 years so it is possible to perform between 12 and 15 harvests.

Fascinating, and thanks for sharing; I find these details very interesting.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
9x14=126, so that could put the first harvest (not for wine) already from 20 years as claimed.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
An Argentinian sweet white wine which Is likely the most popular will also come in small cans (with expiration date) from next year

I guess it is OK for common sweet white wine, if you drink it from a glass. But then you could just buy a whole bottle.

This seems to be mostly for people who will drink straight from the can outside.

Although then there was this some months ago:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/20/woman-drinking-pink-gin-wine-glass-tube-instantly-iconic-10019874/
It seems that makes it 9 Argentinian wineries going for canned wine.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Catalonia: Catalunya, Costers del Segre, Montsant, Pla de Bages, Tarragona, Alella, Conca de Barbera, Emporda, Penedes, Terra Alta and Priorat.

Fascinating.

I have noticed a very good quality of cork used on some seriously good wines (especially, now that you mention it, wines from Spain).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It seems that makes it 9 Argentinian wineries going for canned wine.
One producer had already made such cans more than 10 years ago. They were approved in the 90's.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Portugal also produces excellent quality cork, but I am not sure of what legal requirements exist re harvesting the actual cork.
Slightly off-topic but I was in Portugal (Lisbon) on vacation a short while ago, and found a small backstreet store specializing in all sorts of interesting items made of cork. What attracted my attention immediately were watch presentation cases (for 6 and 12 watches), and pen presentation cases completely manufactured from cork. How I regret not buying one or even both.
- I thought that might interest you SS....... ;)
I've never seen anything similar for sale elsewhere in Europe either in stores or on-line.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I had my first mulled wine of the season last night on a whim. Bought at a nice winter stand at the Geneva train station (part of the winter market always open at this time). I have said I am not usually the biggest fan of it but this one was pretty good, not too sweet and suited the cold weather. The stand is run by a family from South America as they also offer besides the local faves like mulled wine, hot chocolate, raclette and vegetable soup also empanadas and coxinha (the Brazilian snack with minced chicken or cheese).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I had my first mulled wine of the season last night on a whim. Bought at a nice winter stand at the Geneva train station (part of the winter market always open at this time). I have said I am not usually the biggest fan of it but this one was pretty good, not too sweet and suited the cold weather. The stand is run by a family from South America as they also offer besides the local faves like mulled wine, hot chocolate, raclette and vegetable soup also empanadas and coxinha (the Brazilian snack with minced chicken or cheese).

Mulled wine?

Raclette? Was this the toasted (or melted) version?

Yum.

A good side to winter.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A cork tree lives up to 400 years. Harvested ones up to 250.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.