Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I am a real person, in the Uk, we have a pub chain that sells cheap booze J D Wetherspoon if you come to Greenwich visit their pub there they are all over the country now. Guest real ales are only 2.25 a pint and my fav one is About ale2.39 pp at present:) if Comrade Corbyn gets in next week god knows how much it will be then.;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Tomato fondue is usually eaten with potatoes. But you can ask to bring bread, too.

I once ate pizza fondue. It was yummy.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Had a one year old, aged, Bourbon County Original Barrel Aged Stout. This one actually aged very well. Really well actually. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. I was also able to snag a Coffee version this year. I have been trying to get my hands on it for the last three years and I was finally able to get it. This one won't last a year as I plan on drinking it sooner than later!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Had a one year old, aged, Bourbon County Original Barrel Aged Stout. This one actually aged very well. Really well actually. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. I was also able to snag a Coffee version this year. I have been trying to get my hands on it for the last three years and I was finally able to get it. This one won't last a year as I plan on drinking it sooner than later!

Sounds delicious and I'm delighted that you enjoyed it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

I think I mentioned it in another thread, but the very limited run of Bourbon County stout from Goose Island (~$24/bottle, showing 100% on BA with 12K reviews ... :oops:) is available as a 2017/18/19 three bottle gift box, saw it at the liquor store the other day. We had the 2017 in NYC (somewhere in Pier 17) that same year for Christmas, pretty spectacular.

I think Santa may be brining me a box ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think I mentioned it in another thread, but the very limited run of Bourbon County stout from Goose Island (~$24/bottle, showing 100% on BA with 12K reviews ... :oops:) is available as a 2017/18/19 three bottle gift box, saw it at the liquor store the other day. We had the 2017 in NYC (somewhere in Pier 17) that same year for Christmas, pretty spectacular.

Has Santa been informed that this particular gift ought to be present in his sack of gifts?

This sounds delicious, but I am not at all sure that we may be able to lay greedy hands on it in Europe.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Has Santa been informed that this particular gift ought to be present in his sack of gifts?

This sounds delicious, but I am not at all sure that we may be able to lay greedy hands on it in Europe.

Hahaha, yes, Santa was there when I saw it and immediately shooed me away from the box :D She (as I always suspected, Santa is a her), has been running errands, going to yoga, whatnot, I wouldn't be surprised if the big red sleigh made it by that store :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Hahaha, yes, Santa was there when I saw it and immediately shooed me away from the box :D She (as I always suspected, Santa is a her), has been running errands, going to yoga, whatnot, I wouldn't be surprised if the big red sleigh made it by that store :)
You should have bought an advent calendar.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Yes, Santa is definitely female.

Actually, my mother claimed some degree of kinship to Santa, not least based on the similarity of their penmanship, when - oh, decades ago, when we were children - one Christmas Day morning, when my brother thought that Santa's handwriting on the neat labels attached to the gifts somewhat suspiciously resembled my mother's neat hand.

Reactions: D.T.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Nice!! Yup my local Total Wine had them... I picked up the Coffee and their standard one this year. Last year, I was able to snag all the flavors with the exception of the coffee one, which I was able to get this year! I really like their Stouts and especially the Barrel Aged versions! Good stuff I tell yeah!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The EU and Ukraine are still negotiating a relationship. Cognac is a French AOC.

Yes.

I am perfectly aware that the EU and Ukraine are engaged in "talks".

In fact, I spent several weeks earlier this year observing the presidential elections in Ukraine and follow what is happening there (as friends of mine work with the EU mission and with the OSCE mission in the country)

However, while Cognac is indeed a French AOC, the beverages from the former Soviet Union (that is, the ones that I have consumed from Georgia, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan and Ukraine) that we might refer to as brandies, refer to themselves - on their bottles - as cognac. From their perspective, it is a noun, describing a drink, not a geographic description or designation.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes.

I am perfectly aware that the EU and Ukraine are engaged in "talks".

In fact, I spent several weeks earlier this year observing the presidential elections in Ukraine and follow what is happening there (as friends of mine work with the EU mission and with the OSCE mission in the country)

However, while Cognac is indeed a French AOC, the beverages from the former Soviet Union (that is, the ones that I have consumed from Georgia, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan and Ukraine) that we might refer to as brandies, refer to themselves - on their bottles - as cognac. From their perspective, it is a noun, describing a drink, not a geographic description or designation.
Well, they will have to call the brandies or something else if they want a deal with the EU.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, they will have to call the brandies or something else if they want a deal with the EU.

Their brandies/cognacs tend to be for sale in their own (former Soviet world) market, - which is where I have purchased any I have - rather than for intended export to the west. Candidly, I doubt that there would be much of a market (apart from the former Central-Eastern Europe, i.e. Warsaw Pact countries) for these beverages, in the west. They aren't sufficiently smooth or sophisticated, and remind me - especially the less aged versions - of some of the rougher and more fiery Spanish brandies, which are not to my taste, at all.

Even the XOs - with the exception of an Armenian 30 year old (a gift, which had been distilled before the wars of the 1990s, and was given to me as a gift) - are a lot "fierier", "harsher" and "rougher" than the equivalent western beverage would be.

Now, recently, I have had a bottle of 25 year old Armagnac, which I thought outstanding.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I stand corrected; while Armenian and Georgian brandies on the domestic market do, indeed, refer to themselves as "cognacs" this Ukrainian drink describes itself as "Ukrainian Vintage Brandy" adding that it is a "XO" with no spirit under seven years old included in the blend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.