Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarBr33z3

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
What other chargers work? How about with a wireless battery pack?
After trying a bunch of Qi pads, I can confirm this one works with AP2 -- Baseus 15W Dual Wireless Charger. The transparent one looks pretty cool in the wild :cool:

H225876951cc640d596b331b47f219edf3.jpg

Reactions: Dammit Cubs

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
After trying a bunch of Qi pads, I can confirm this one works with AP2 -- Baseus 15W Dual Wireless Charger. The transparent one looks pretty cool in the wild :cool:

H225876951cc640d596b331b47f219edf3.jpg

I'm looking at this now - the ships from "Russia Federation" got me to pause for a minute.
1573454599281.png

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
That charging stand is just awesome to have in general. I might consider it for my phone alone.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
As a follow-up to my previous post, both my Anker charging pads work without an issue.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
That charging stand is just awesome to have in general. I might consider it for my phone alone.

Which one did you ended up getting? I just bought a wireless charger from amazon and it doesnt really work so looking for another one now. From this thread looks like my options are either anker, baseus or samsung.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Which one did you ended up getting? I just bought a wireless charger from amazon and it doesnt really work so looking for another one now. From this thread looks like my options are either anker, baseus or samsung.

I haven't found a good one yet. I have been busy so i haven't used it as much. I'm using one called "Yootech" at work but im noticing the same problems...sometimes.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
I haven't found a good one yet. I have been busy so i haven't used it as much. I'm using one called "Yootech" at work but im noticing the same problems...sometimes.

I see, yeah I think the one I got right now(choetech) is like the same it charges on and off for every few minutes but does seem to eventually charges it to full. Well I’ve decided to give the baseus one a go because it does specifically mention airpods and will update when it arrives.

Last edited:

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC356C7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought the Samsung Fast Charger and I'm happy to report that it does work to fully charge the APP. However, as others here have reported with other chargers, it turns off and then back on occasionally. I waited until I had almost 0% charge on the case, placed it on the charger and noticed the charger light turned off a few times but then came back on a few seconds later. It charged to 100% and the charger was still lit up. Maybe my Mophie charger would have turned back on after a few seconds, I was never patient enough. I'll have to pull it from the drawer and give it another chance. Someone here explained the details of how these charge and that makes sense that it fluctuates. As long as they fully charge, I am happy.

Reactions: whsbuss

ryanfang

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
My Anker powerwave 7.5 both stand and pad can only charge intermittently. I asked their customer service on Taobao directly, they said they are not compatible with airpods pro due to overheating issues. Once the airpods pro is overheating the charge will stop, and it will resume once it cools down. SO my current fix is just leave it as it is, it will be fully charged in few hours anyway. I guess only apple can fix this overheating problem. The cut off temperature of airpods pro is lower than that of iphone, the iphone still holds the charge even its body is quite hot.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
My Anker powerwave 7.5 both stand and pad can only charge intermittently. I asked their customer service on Taobao directly, they said they are not compatible with airpods pro due to overheating issues. Once the airpods pro is overheating the charge will stop, and it will resume once it cools down. SO my current fix is just leave it as it is, it will be fully charged in few hours anyway. I guess only apple can fix this overheating problem. The cut off temperature of airpods pro is lower than that of iphone, the iphone still holds the charge even its body is quite hot.

Yeah, I thought it might be heat too but I do find it weird how some people were fine though. I did a little more testing on mine and my wireless charger supporting fast charging takes in 9V charging the airpods. Not sure how input voltage on wireless charger correlates with charging rate thought that was a bit high for low wattage charging like airpods so I decided to change the power brick from the recommended ”quickcharge 3.0” one to an old ipad 5V 2A one and it seems to help the airpods sustain longer charge wirelessly but still do turn off and on just not as frequent.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My gen2 Airpods charge wirelessly fine but rather slowly. Did a rough test and here are my numbers.

Had 25% remaining.
30 min - 42%
1 hr - 55%
90 min - 67%
2 hr - 80%

So roughly 25-30% per hour. Normal?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I'm trying to see if the airpods case better when the airpods are not in the case. I have noticed my wireless charger "light" has not turn off. Also i have a case on the airpods which keeps it slightly off the pad, i don't know if that is helping (mostly not). If i see better improvement, i'll update.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
My baseus wireless charger arrived and it behaves the same. At this point I think its normal for it to charge on-and-off and eventually gets full. I went and plugged a usb meter on it and it does show that it consistently cuts power after a while then resumes.
F928D0CA-606E-482A-A315-6664BFAFF98F.jpeg 6F3A811B-D270-4157-9470-9598DCD776F4.png

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Both my Belkin and Samsung Qi chargers work with the AirPods Pro case flawlessly.

SnowWhiteFF

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
Pa
Finally an answer! I got AP Pro's yesterday and stopped charging at about 75%. I took them off and put them back on and they charged the rest of the way. I contacted Apple and they had no idea why it was happening and they were sure it wasn't the case. I have the Mophie charger that is sold by apple. Think they would test that.....

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
I just did some more tests with my APP and found out that when the case and pods were not full, it wirelessly charge at lower rate (I measured wireless charger taking in around 2w). After the pods are full and the case is left to charge it seems to charge at a slightly higher rate (about 2.6w) and this causes the case gets warm it stops and will resume when it cool down.

jasonongsg

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
I have issues charging with the SliceCharge Pro 6-Coils by Hardciderlabs.

Haven tried putting anything in between the charger and the APP yet.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I don’t see the benefit of wireless charging. The charger takes up space, is slower, creates heat in the device and is an additional expense. I just keep a charge sync cable plugged in in a convenient location and just plug my devices in when they need a charge. I get a full charge every time.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Wireless charging doesn't really work well in practice than in theory. Wireless is really only best when you're like putting your airpods down for the night and they will be charged in the morning. But it's way too slow if you need it charged fast.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I don’t see the benefit of wireless charging. The charger takes up space, is slower, creates heat in the device and is an additional expense. I just keep a charge sync cable plugged in in a convenient location and just plug my devices in when they need a charge. I get a full charge every time.
Well for me I take and use my wireless battery pack to wireless charge them and my iPhone.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
I don’t see the benefit of wireless charging.

Convenience mainly, gets home and just place it and forget. Usually for my daily commute it doesn’t go below 70% anyways so it’ll get full in no time. Sure it does get warmer than plugging it in but I trust it wont go over what apple designed it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.