Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you moving back to MBP 16" because of the dead of the butterfly keyboard?

• Yes

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • No

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • Maybe. Need to see how the new keyboard behaves in the next few months

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Open to suggestions

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Just about every Mac I have owned, I have duel booted Linux. Now the T2 chip makes that pretty much impossible unless you use a USB or external drive. Not the best option. In addition I tend to buy Macs refurbished or used... No way am I buying any of the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019's even to run MacOS, so it will be awhile. I feel sad about it. I like to enjoy all the operating systems, well at least my 2012 is still going strong.
[automerge]1575385678[/automerge]
Thinking about it, I have not even had my Mac Mini on in just over a week, times are changing!

I know the feeling... I need to fire up my Mac... I just purchased a new Yoga Book, I couldn't help myself. So many computers, so little time.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I was dead set on keeping my 16" but had a T2 kernel panic yesterday waking from sleep. It got me worried and I started debating if I want to keep it...

Called MS and asked if they'd price match their sale with my previous purchase and they said they would. I get an additional 9% off MS devices on top of sale prices so in the end the 15" SL3 with the Intel core i7 and 16GB RAM came out to $1455 after their refunds / price match.

This also got me thinking. I paid $2150 for the base MBP so is it worth $700 more?

I've been flopping back and forth between the 16" MacBook Pro and the 15" i7 (Intel business edition) Surface Laptop 3...

I like the size and weight of the SL3
I like the KB better on the SL3
I like the trackpad better on the SL3 (mainly because it smaller and not a helicopter landing pad)
I like the brightness better on the MBP
I like the sound better on the MPB
I like continuity and handoff on the MBP (can somewhat mimic with pushbullet)

I do not like the touchbar on the MBP and while I prefer macOS, Catalina is a mess at the moment... At this point I'd say Win 10 is more stable and reliable...

I wont keep both machnes and am leaning towards returning the MBP.

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015
I visit occasionally this forum to check if hajime has finally found the laptop of his dream,
super powerful, light and dead silent under heavy load. As usual, this topic did not disappoint.

Myself I have a ThinkPad P72 which is my work machine for 1 year now (previously: 2014 Macbook Pro). It recently had an issue with the cooling system becoming erratic. It did not prevent to use the machine but one fan occasionally stopped working and the unit put itself into "one fan" mode with reduced performance (which a reboot fixed until it happened again, possibly days later).
Contacted Lenovo to open a ticket. Received the part from China. Technician comes at home, disassemble most of the laptop as if it was Lego and replace part. Done. When do Apple send technicians at home ? Never neglect on-site warranty for your professional laptop(s).

Another story: just added 32GB DDR4 RAM for 90 euros with Black Friday deal. Far from extortionate prices Apple is selling RAM (and storage).

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I took my MBP 16" to school and experienced a few issues: 1. Several times even I pressed the power button after taking the laptop out from my bag, nothing showed up. It was like the battery used up all power but it was quite full. 2. As reported, sometimes the machine had blank screen upon waking up. Keys and audio working but just no image on the screen. 3. popping.
It seems that MBP is not as reliable as before. So I probably do not move back to MBP especially with all the inconvenience due to the T2 chip.

I actually found that Windows laptops are faster than MBP 16" with 32GB. From pressing the power button to be able to do some work, Windows laptops are faster. As for launching MS Office applications, Mac is a bit sluggish as usual.

Reactions: Queen6

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I took my MBP 16" to school and experienced a few issues: 1. Several times even I pressed the power button after taking the laptop out from my bag, nothing showed up. It was like the battery used up all power but it was quite full. 2. As reported, sometimes the machine had blank screen upon waking up. Keys and audio working but just no image on the screen. 3. popping.
It seems that MBP is not as reliable as before. So I probably do not move back to MBP especially with all the inconvenience due to the T2 chip.

I actually found that Windows laptops are faster than MBP 16" with 32GB. From pressing the power button to be able to do some work, Windows laptops are faster. As for launching MS Office applications, Mac is a bit sluggish as usual.

In the past, it was very easy for MBP to connect to a projector (it just worked) but now it is the other way around. I had to plug and unplug several times for the projector to detect the signals. My MBP 2010 17" and Windows laptops I tried had no such issue. Why?

MacOS and iOS are not fully compatible with BlackBoard used in school. Only Windows version has scroll bars. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackboard_Learn

At home, I could easily set up connection between Windows laptops and the HP printer via wireless connection but my MBP 16" cannot do that. Used to be the other way around in the past.

Reactions: jrichards1408

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Returned it. The staff did not even know the differences bewteen Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. I overheard the conversation he had with another staff. Sounds like the quality of staff has also dropped.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like the quality of staff has also dropped.
I would have to disagree, I continue to find the staff knowledgeable and helpful. Maybe its different at your local apple store, or maybe you misunderstood them, or maybe they made a mistake ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: tbayrgs and MAXiPAD

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I would have to disagree, I continue to find the staff knowledgeable and helpful. Maybe its different at your local apple store, or maybe you misunderstood them, or maybe they made a mistake ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Two of them seem to be completely new. They had to ask another girl on a lot of things. That girl also could not do something and asked another one. The store near my home is particular bad. The same store where the guy joked at me when I said that some external keyboards were bent. He said that the box did not bend and how could a keyboard be bent. I quoted Macrumors's posts that it was made of two layers of different materials, etc.

MAXiPAD

Suspended
Dec 9, 2019
I liked the last generation of MBP keyboards but did have issues getting in the way of my workflow. I tried Windows but therein the problem lay: Windows. So I went iPad. Surprise surprise, the iPad with iPad OS and mouse support is doing a phenomenal job - better than I'd have thought.

If I needed another full computer, I'd definitely get the MBP. The new model is everything we all wanted and a superb evolution. But I couldn't justify it when an iPad Air 3 and some accessories come in at under a third of the cost and brings with it iPad form factor advantages.

Also finding more reasons to get involved with Today@Apple on the iPad versus my Mac! More fun.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
I haven't decided to move back to the MBP. But, I did a bit of an about-face recently and made a move to stay in the Apple ecosystem - like the above poster, I went with iPad.

I had previously written off such a move - using a traditional keyboard + mouse/trackpad was just easier - and let my first gen iPad Air gather dust. Living in a more cramped space now, I decided to pack up my MBA and dust off my iPA. After a week of using it and it only, I surprised myself with how easy it actually was. Because of going so long w/o using it though, my iPA's battery is on its way out, so I ordered myself a brand new mini.

In doing so and thinking a bit, I'm not sure if I'll ever get another laptop. I'm not convinced Apple's QC/QA problems will get better, at least in the short term, plus it's exceedingly hard to justify the cost, esp. when (for my use case), an iPad, case & pencil still come in much cheaper.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I said that some external keyboards were bent. He said that the box did not bend and how could a keyboard be bent
Not for nothing, I was unaware of any keyboard warping on the laptops, so its not surprise that the sales staff was unaware as well. A salesman's knowledge is not indicative of the quality of the product or signs that the company is going downhill, which you seem to imply.

Also, its been reported that the sales staff has been instructed to "play dumb" when people mention specific issues. They're not to confirm that the product has problems, which makes sense since its their job to sell.

I understand that you are dissatisfied with the quality of apple products but I've found and continue to find their customer support to be the best in the industry.

Reactions: tbayrgs

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Not for nothing, I was unaware of any keyboard warping on the laptops, so its not surprise that the sales staff was unaware as well. A salesman's knowledge is not indicative of the quality of the product or signs that the company is going downhill, which you seem to imply.

Also, its been reported that the sales staff has been instructed to "play dumb" when people mention specific issues. They're not to confirm that the product has problems, which makes sense since its their job to sell.

I understand that you are dissatisfied with the quality of apple products but I've found and continue to find their customer support to be the best in the industry.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant Apple's external keyboard not the MBP's keyboard. I recall there was a lenghty thread about the keyboard issue. It was made of two different materials. That sales just laughed saying that it was made by a piece of metal only which is dead wrong.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That sales just laughed saying that it was made by a piece of metal only which is dead wrong.
It doesn't sound like a well known problem, so their ignorance over that issue is not surprising and maybe shouldn't be used as an example that the quality of help has decreased - just my $.02.

I've worked in retail for years and I find that people can be hard on the people, too hard. Most try and are helpful

Reactions: tbayrgs

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Apple external keyboards do bend. The full size ones at least. I had a iMP at the office, never used the keyboard that came with iMP because I have my own (mechanical) keyboard.

Gave it to my coworker for 2-3 days since his died. And to our surprise, that thing started to wobble like crazy in just 2-3 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.