Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I am gonna give a try to setup and work in wordpress, for building a web site.
It is my first time with a cms, as 'till now I only used dreamweaver.
I hope my try to go well, but surely I will need some kind of help, so please if someone can help and share knowledge, to do it here, to help me proceed with my experimentation.

My first question is about migrating a site locally built, to a hosting provider.
How easy is this? I guess it is not just about copying files, but I need some guidance about how to setup database there on the server, and possibly changes about some paths.
How these can be done?

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
I am gonna give a try to setup and work in wordpress, for building a web site.
It is my first time with a cms, as 'till now I only used dreamweaver.
I hope my try to go well, but surely I will need some kind of help, so please if someone can help and share knowledge, to do it here, to help me proceed with my experimentation.

My first question is about migrating a site locally built, to a hosting provider.
How easy is this? I guess it is not just about copying files, but I need some guidance about how to setup database there on the server, and possibly changes about some paths.
How these can be done?
Depending on the hosting provider, they at times have a 1-click installation of CMS, whether that's wordpress or another CMS.

If they don't, then you need to copy the files from your local wordpress installation into the root directory(/) of your website. Once that's done, go to your website (website.com/wp-admin), the wp-admin will take you through the setup of wordpress.

Reactions: cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Does the installation procedure/file of wp creates the mysql database needed, to function?
Or someone has to manually create a database with a third party application, and then use it for wordpress?

I hoped that with wordpress I would not be forced to seek for other tools outside its environment, but I am not sure if this is true.
In the second screen of the initial installation, I used the names I would like to have, for database etc, hoping that wp will create it for me. But it refused to proceed giving an error for establishing connection.
When I put a database from other project, it seem to work. But I stopped there, as I do not want to put wp database needs in other projects.
But I do really expected that wp would create everything related to database by itself.

So, what applies about this topic?

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
Does the installation procedure/file of wp creates the mysql database needed, to function?
Or someone has to manually create a database with a third party application, and then use it for wordpress?

I hoped that with wordpress I would not be forced to seek for other tools outside its environment, but I am not sure if this is true.
In the second screen of the initial installation, I used the names I would like to have, for database etc, hoping that wp will create it for me. But it refused to proceed giving an error for establishing connection.
When I put a database from other project, it seem to work. But I stopped there, as I do not want to put wp database needs in other projects.
But I do really expected that wp would create everything related to database by itself.

So, what applies about this topic?
It depends, my host doesn't provide 1-click installation, so I have to go into my host's settings and create the database myself.
Did you enter your database credentials into the wp-config.php file? You need to rename the wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php in order for it to work and have the appropriate credentials of your database in there. Take a look at this article below.
http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutori...ablishing-a-database-connection-in-wordpress/

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Is there any setting or plugin, to help me display only titles of posts, instead of displaying the first paragraph or so from the main article?
I want to display only titles, and I can't understand why I can't find such setting.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
What about fonts? What I see in my wordpress-constructed site, will it be the same on the devices that will access my site?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Is there any way to define/fix the dimensions of the images I put in featured images of posts?
I would like to have something like auto resize, but with downgrading the resolution & dpi, not just the 'external' dimensions.
This way, I could achieve standard dimensions and reduced file size/load times, automatically.

abbones

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Derby
If you look under Media in admin there are three sizes defined for uploaded images. When you upload an image if it is lareger than these three sizes it creates these three smaller versions plus it keeps the original. When you then use an image in a post you can choose which size is appropriate

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
When we say that a theme is 'responsive', does this also affects of how it reacts on several screen resolutions of desktop/laptop computers?
Besides the general discrimination of desktop/tablet/mobile views.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Can somebody tell me, in which table the 'posts' are stored?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Can somebody tell me, in which table the 'posts' are stored?

Have you looked at the DB schema or searched for a [WP] data dictionary? It's all documented and it's pretty conspicuous :)

I am rather new in wordpress world, so I found out about export/import options, in tools, inside wordpress controlpanel.
As I can see, someone can choose to export posts(or any additional item too).

Has anyone previous experience on how good this import/export posts in xml file - feature of wordpress, actually works?

lynchdavidh

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
New York
Any reputable hosting provider will have one-click CMS installation and help you migrate your website as soon as you sign up for a plan. Hosting providers like SiteGround and WP Engine have support teams to handle this type of stuff.

Reactions: cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I have made some changes to the font colors in my wp site, that I would like to pass them to be there forever-whatever it takes, in the styles.css of the child theme (current-active).
How can I know, what lines should be added to child's theme styles.css?
I know the codes of the colors as wp show them in 'color' menus, but I do not know how to do it.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Wordpress 5.
How can I get rid of this ridiculous limitation of the new visual text editor (gutenberg), that displays the text that I write in just a narrow column? I have a full width screen, just to see a column like in old fashioned newspapers? Unacceptable! How I can take advantage of the full width of my window, in text editor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.