Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
I started working with the idea or creating a space game of sorts maybe as a mobile or web app or if I can find or join a full indy gaming studio or maybe start my oen and find coders i will. Turn this idea into something much much bigger.

newface4-01.jpg

Both the graphic and text are all my own and will serve as the game’s intro or intro screen.
[automerge]1575305151[/automerge]
Another idea for the intro screen:
0861f15e-0778-4aed-bf69-2259ab5f893b.jpg

[automerge]1575305175[/automerge]
I fixed the eye alignment for the bottom one.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
image.png

[automerge]1575569518[/automerge]
I dont get why the video plays a bit choppy at beginning? Is it because I uploaded it at 720p? Or the fact I uploaded form iMovie on iPad vs if I did it from Mac it wouldnt be like that?
[automerge]1575569639[/automerge]
Actually I think it is because of the font. It is as if the font has a bit blur to it as it scrolls up.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
This video and developer named Derek who created a space game himself inspired me because although he is a loon he proved that you can still find success or carbe a niche being self taught (I have a journalism ba but rest of my skills are self tsught) and without big name recognition or starting out essentislly from a garage. Sometimes all it take sis an idea or have a skill in one aspect snd the rest can come together by working with others or learning over time:

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
This looks pretty bad, what's that image? Looks like some discoballs with a bunch of filters. The text is way too squeezed and unreadable. What's the goal or backstory? What kind of game are you making? I'd try to attract someone with design and illustration skills so you can focus on the programming. Sorry, just my opinion.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Here is the latest version:

if you cant see a face from that piel art image, you have a low perception of vision. It is supposed to be abstract like almost all space and scifi games are.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Well then I guess I don't have the eye, because all of this does not look appealing or what I would see in a space game. The text is unreadable, don't know if that is the point or not, and the graphics just don't look good.

But to each his own.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
well at least its better than most of the stuff you see on aspiring and third world graphic designers on facebook groups no? not even better than these guys’ work?

or the stuff you see on social and popular media.
[automerge]1579458999[/automerge]
at least not too bad for just a chico state journalism grad?
[automerge]1579459063[/automerge]
you dont need to use so called professional tools or know each and every aspect of illustrator to create stuff that touch people or stuff that is unique. thats just the be corporate whores tell you to make you feel special at night.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
I have to say, it is at least.. unique..? But not in a good way. It looks very very amateurishly made in my opinion. Compare it to say something like Super Metroid's opening

With your preview videos, it is not interesting at all to read any of the text, it moves too fast, and it has nothing else to engage you in it.

It would be much better if you faded in one paragraph at a time of the text you want to put in your intro, and alongside it, an image with correlates and relates to that paragraph, to give context, meaning, understanding, and engagement to people to read it.

I really can't make much out of your image you have provided either to be honest. It looks like a jumbled mess to me

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
I actually drew a metroid landscape all in my mind for a level while I was in Prison using soft pastels:
1579574957157.jpeg

btw, at least my stuff has heart u like these elongated and exaggerated shapes that everyone else does now:
1579574909174.png

via https://medium.muz.li/graphic-desig...ur-business-to-stand-out-in-2020-81559d02d68c
[automerge]1579575180[/automerge]
my preview vid was really only meant for me to practice my skills of video editing, game writing and graphic design. it also has motion graphics thrown it. meant to get me some freelance work not create an actual game as I dont know how to code btw smart guy.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Oh trust me I already have a very strong portfolio and don’t need your smug remarks. I ams elf trained and take udemy courses and don’t need your overpriced shove everything down my throat in short time span bootcamp snake oil you’re selling:

my portfolio is very strong at least if i focus on mom and pop businesses and small indy game studios or mobile app makers. i can do it all, web design now without coding you can use temaplates with interactivity like web flow or weebly, writing, translation, blogging, editing, graphic design and video.

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Oh trust me I already have a very strong portfolio
I think what you need to do is take a bite of humble pie. You may be satisfied with your work but when you display it like this for others to look at you need to accept criticism. I have a lot of criticism for you but I honestly don't know where to start.
my portfolio is very strong
Humble pie.
i can do it all
There is a major difference in being able to "do it all", and "do it all very well". Being a jack of all trades is fine but I find more often than not those who go that route become jack of all and master of none, as many of them go that route as they lack focus. Much of your shared works lack focus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
A little bit of both. When people troll me or disrespect me and put my work down just talking crap I tend to respond sarcastically back and just do it abck to them. in all honestyly I dont see anything good aboit modern illustration or graphic design trends with sarcastic or elongated figures and all that extra saturation or colors. I really look at my stuff wnd wondered how it formed. how such different lets say stuff with more heart and creativity isnt sweeping the design world by storm. my stuf has heart. it has meaning. its not based on some trend or whats popular or copying others.
[automerge]1582397213[/automerge]
the modern populist **** like the design above with dancing and crap has no meaning or heart to me.
[automerge]1582397528[/automerge]
I mean how can you deny my stuff isnt interetsing or unique and different from what everybody else is doing?

Last edited:

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
I mean how can you deny my stuff isnt interetsing or unique and different from what everybody else is doing?
Oh it is different. It's just chaos. It's a buffet of strange font choices and placements, coupled with too many filters and effects.

Just because you can use them doesn't mean you always should. And if you feel you have to use one make that the limit. Just one.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Why do you keep mentioning elongated figures and call them liberal. You indeed see it more often but there's so much more going on in the illustration and design world. And there'll always be trends but there are also always succesful people doing stuff different. Doing something different isn't enough though. At least that illustration with "elongated figures" has dynamic lines suggesting movement, no noise in terms of not needed elements, an interesting color palette etc. You see the illustrator knew what they were doing. And why is dancing "modern populist ****" ? And what's original about drawing a Metroid level, it's literally an existing world/design/idea, you just reorganised the elements in your own way.

But hey, if you got enough jobs going on with this portfolio and can make a decent living out of it who am I to say it's not good. It's just that you have this outspoken opinion about how others do it wrong and you do it right. People just mention there's a lot of room for improvement and I agree there is

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
which designs re you talking about? I typically dont mess with fonts and just use the standard font depending on if I am using Artstudio for iPad or Illustrator on my Mac (this is all I pretty much use and sometimes aprocreate for its brushes). Are you talking about this one?
1582454668182.jpeg

It has the same font I just resized it a bit because it would go voer the edge but when I made some of thet ext two lines it did not line up u til I restarted the app and it did it but st that point the damage was done so to speak and zive just decided to resize some of it so it was readable even with few words.
[automerge]1582454818[/automerge]
The idea of it was abstract anyway so zi figure the different sizes of text works for such s concept. I actually lacked out because that brain thing I created accidentslly using the stand tool by fixing snother psrt snd decided to transfer it to the top ar where it says ai. see this is the thing. there is heart and meaning and subliminal messages in my works.
[automerge]1582454909[/automerge]
I think the type of work you describe is just bad. that is all I think of when I see those colors and weird figures dancing sround touching one another. or even without the touching.
[automerge]1582454994[/automerge]
I am not making money on any of my stuff. I am self trained. I actually make money writing. I went to journalism school not graphic design school so was not indoctrinated with their dogma.
[automerge]1582455583[/automerge]
But right now I am basically not making any money and just doing udemy courses. well I have one client a d they only pay 100 bucks per article depsite beimg a bigamię it company wnd mostly hire Indian writers who put code into their srticles snd little actual writing. All the writing gigs I had that paid were only like a month, teo or three at most then they didnt need me anymore.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
my idea for ml has plenty of co,or above and actually deals with the concept not the dancing stuff above. This is why zi am complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.