Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
World of Warships- has anyone been participating in the beta? If so, I'm interested in your impression. I'm wondering what kind of strategy you employ with opposing ships, just drive ar each other and shoot? There are no hills, just islands. Much of modern Naval combat seems to center on ambush for the advantage. These maps, at least the WoT maps are not huge so the opportunity for surprise is somewhat limited especially when there are not that many maps, when you know each map and where the fighting usually occurs.

shot_001_0.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Brought over from the What Game You Playing thread:
I started playing World of Warhsips in the closed beta and have been playing off and on up until now. Some of the newer high tier premium ships are so overtuned it is ridiculous.

So what are the best premium ships in your opinion? I bought a T5 Murmansk, and a T5 Okhotnik.

The difficulty I find with this game, is judging when you are getting in over your head. And the adage: first seen, first kilt, or at least first shot appears to be oh so true. :)

Last edited:

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Brought over from the What Game You Playing thread:

So what are the best premium ships in your opinion? I bought a T5 Murmansk, and a T5 Okhotnik.

The difficulty I find with this game, is judging when you are getting in over your head. And the adage: first seen, first kilt, or at least first shot appears to be oh so true. :)

The T5 Giulio Cesare is very good. It is rare because it doesn't spend too much time in the premium rotation. Also the T9 Jean Bart is also a monster, it's roof is insane.

Yeah, first shot helps but I've found in a cruiser or destroyer weaving in and out of max range of the bad guy is really good. I tend to broadside targets and then when they start aiming at me I try to boat directly away because shooting fleeing targets is so hard.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The T5 Giulio Cesare is very good. It is rare because it doesn't spend too much time in the premium rotation. Also the T9 Jean Bart is also a monster, it's roof is insane.

Yeah, first shot helps but I've found in a cruiser or destroyer weaving in and out of max range of the bad guy is really good. I tend to broadside targets and then when they start aiming at me I try to boat directly away because shooting fleeing targets is so hard.
I noticed that some of the top ships are just too expensive. I was buying T8 tanks, the top premium tier, in WOTs for about $50. I’ll never buy a ship for $100.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I noticed that some of the top ships are just too expensive. I was buying T8 tanks, the top premium tier, in WOTs for about $50. I’ll never buy a ship for $100.

What is sad is it used to not be like that. WoWs was certainly taking a different angle but they are slowly porting their EU monetization model into the NA servers. Guess they realized that unlike the RU region the NA region had just as much money to blow as the EU region.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What is sad is it used to not be like that. WoWs was certainly taking a different angle but they are slowly porting their EU monetization model into the NA servers. Guess they realized that unlike the RU region the NA region had just as much money to blow as the EU region.
With my win rate in WoWS, I have no illusions that it would help with that. :) Part of the problem are random teams which often include players worse than myself. One thing I’ve become very aware of is to not overcommit or as a single ship launch into a group of 3 or more NMEs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I broke down and bought a Black Massachusetts on sale. Been getting up the nerve to play it. So far, I bought a T5 cruiser (Murmansk), gunboat destroyer (Okhotnik) and Battleship (Texas). This is it, not spending any more on premium ships for a hopefully long while. ;)

A1DCFCFA-BF96-4E05-8208-D1169CB0DFC8.jpeg

7DA860F6-7065-469A-8028-C0926DC4F97B.jpeg

06367A71-9900-4EF8-8FD5-40776702359D.jpeg

154105D0-AB90-4EBB-90C7-60F127178F1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHateMachine

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Might be time to dip my toes into WoWs a bit. Been too sucked into Rust and EVE and might need a change for a bit.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Recently purchased a Scharnhorn Battleship, tier 7, max fun. Fast ship, with a fast reload.

0D9A2480-E905-4E84-9880-34963CC002D9.jpeg
[doublepost=1549842888][/doublepost]
Might be time to dip my toes into WoWs a bit. Been too sucked into Rust and EVE and might need a change for a bit.

Are you experienced with this game or World of Tanks? The biggest difference with WoWS vs WoT, is that although situational awareness is important in both games, it is absolutely crucial in WoWS. In most cases once you get in over your head, it’s hard to extract yourself because there are not many places to hide.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Recently purchased a Scharnhorn Battleship, tier 7, max fun. Fast ship, with a fast reload.

[doublepost=1549842888][/doublepost]

Are you experienced with this game or World of Tanks? The biggest difference with WoWS vs WoT, is that although situational awareness is important in both games, it is absolutely crucial in WoWS. In most cases once you get in over your head, it’s hard to extract yourself because there are not many places to hide.

I've played WoT way more than WoWs, i used to play a lot in WoT beta but i lost my old account. Yea situational awareness is key. I feel like WoWs is less punishing as the current state of WoT means if you slip up and get out of position you are going to get alpha'd where as WoWs will allow you to get away because the TTK seems way bigger.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've played WoT way more than WoWs, i used to play a lot in WoT beta but i lost my old account. Yea situational awareness is key. I feel like WoWs is less punishing as the current state of WoT means if you slip up and get out of position you are going to get alpha'd where as WoWs will allow you to get away because the TTK seems way bigger.
I played WOT seriously for about three years before burning out. I briefly tried Armored Warfare but it did not stick with me. Recently at the urging of a friend I started up WoWS which at first I thought it was simplistic, but quickly discovered that it is hard in a different way. And I also returned to WOT and quickly wondered what happened to it? It’s hard to put my finger on, but WoT is much less fun then it used to be. Is it me or is it the game?
[doublepost=1549889139][/doublepost]Found this: https://www.pcgamesn.com/best-tank-games

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Biggest Single Lesson to be learned in WoWS: Don’t overextend and know when you maybe getting over extended. And as a rule don’t head off by yourself without extreme caution. The number one issue that I see in WoWS is when players in their Single ship put themselves in a position to be pounded by 2 or more NME ships. This happens every day. :cool:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Biggest Single Lesson to be learned in WoWS: Don’t overextend and know when you maybe getting over extended. And as a rule don’t head off by yourself without extreme caution. The number one issue that I see in WoWS is when players in their Single ship put themselves in a position to be pounded by 2 or more NME ships. This happens every day. :cool:
There are 2 Captain skills that help a little, if not too late for situational awareness, level one skills that tell you when you are visible, when someone is shooting at you, and how many ships are pointing their guns at you.

I’m till in a live hate relationship with this game. A significant part of the problem are pickup matches, where you can be on a team of nitwits, and I’m not dedicated enough to participate in ranked clan fighting.

My latest boat is the T7 Gneisenau German Battleship. I like it and I can tell other players respect/fear it. :D

E0183E57-AE2A-41A9-A978-B89B85C1F300.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As an average to below average World of Warships, primarily Random Battle Player, I have made some observations. What have I overlooked, what is in error, what can I add?

World of Warships Rules To Live By
  • What’s the Rush? Military Intelligence, ie knowing where the enemy is, unless you are a Destroyer zipping to a zone to secure it fast and uncontested, for other ships it is better to move at half speed until you see how the order of battle develops. Everything else on this list is built on this. In WoWs this is applied to the tactical battle. Technically you know the order of Battle because you know how many ships and what types are in your battle. You know where they started, but what you don’t know immediately is there they are going.
  • Situational and spacial awareness- There is a learning curve involved. It was important in World of Tanks if you were a WoTs player, but it is much more important in World of Warships, because in WoTs you had terrain, but in WoWs, sometimes you have islands that can partially shield your retreat, but more times than not, you won’t. The nightmare scenario is spending the last 5 minutes of a battle running away, but you can’t get away from a group of ships slowly killing you.
  • Being Alone Is Generally Bad- The last thing you want is to be alone, and have 3 ships pop up who can see you and start shooting. You’ll also be a likely carrier and destroyer target especially driving a Battleship. The key here is not being alone. A primary example is the start of a battle and you zip off by yourself with absolutely no idea where the enemy is headed.
  • View distance- just mentioned for awareness. By the time you are in view distance, you are well within shooting distance.
  • Numbers Win- There are maybe 2 or 3 tactical battles in addition to individual 1v1 fights on the map in a typical Battle. While there are variables such as ship level and type, and skill of players, based on competent players, whoever has more numbers in any particular tactical fight in one part of the map usually wins that fight. It pure numbers, who owns most of the buckets being fired.
  • More numbers- as a lone ship, never drive into a group of the enemy, in other words never voluntarily put yourself in a position where multiple ships are shooting at you. You’re dead, you just don’t realize it in time.
  • Concentrate power- Based on equivalent ships, in a 3v3 fight, all 3 ships shooting one enemy ship has the advantage over splitting fire between multiple ships.
  • Flanking the enemy can be good or bad depending.
  • Flanking Good- when you can flank, the enemies attention is divided, you can maintain your distance and you are not being shot at by multiple ships, most applicable if you are a lone ship.
  • Flanking Bad- you are at the edge of the map and suddenly there are a lot of them, they are all firing at you and you can’t maintain your distance as they kill you.
  • Owning Zones- There is a distinct advantage to owning zones early in the game, so if they can be grabbed cheaply, you have gained an advantage, although it can be lost. Some outcomes of battles are determined by this because the side that owns the zones can play defensive and focus on whoever enters the zone pummeling them. However ultimately if your team is good at killing other ships, that will overcome zone ownership.
  • Destroyers- these little bastards can be ball breakers due to one reason, some of them have an obscene number of torpedoes, which IMO is unrealistic, but they were given this capability by Wargaming to be competitive in this game. This is why in a Battleship you don’t ever want to be by yourself if you can help it, you want to be erratic when you become aware of a DD in your vicinity, and you want to be maneuvering to be perpendicular not parallel to them so when 12 toros come your way, you can hopefully avoid most of them.
  • More destroyers- think twice about coming around the corner of an island if you saw a DD on the other side of it. You might be greated by a face full of torpedoes.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think I’m done with WoWS. Destroyers with 20 torpedo salvos?! Now they are testing for adding subs. I just don’t see that for 15 minute matches, they are just not fast enough are they? I just imagine more “game balancing” that makes it even more unrealistic than it already is.

In real war, these kind of tiers with artificial benefits did not exist. And when you hit Tier 8 and end up in a Tier 10 match, mostly it’s just not enjoyable (for me). Tier 10 ships are unrealistically over powered compared to lesser tiers, imo.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
...when you hit Tier 8 and end up in a Tier 10 match...
That seems to be Wargaming's thing. I hate it, I can't imagine how anyone thinks it makes for a better game, but they always do it.

Still never tried this one, but my biggest gripe with World of Tanks was that I'd keep getting matched with enemies two tiers higher. It was rubbish knowing that there were some people on the other team that I probably couldn't damage unless I got lucky.

Regardless, they make piles of cash, so they must know what they're doing in terms of tempting players to keep on grinding - just keep playing/spending and maybe one day you could own that tank/ship that just outgunned you.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That seems to be Wargaming's thing. I hate it, I can't imagine how anyone thinks it makes for a better game, but they always do it.

Still never tried this one, but my biggest gripe with World of Tanks was that I'd keep getting matched with enemies two tiers higher. It was rubbish knowing that there were some people on the other team that I probably couldn't damage unless I got lucky.

Regardless, they make piles of cash, so they must know what they're doing in terms of tempting players to keep on grinding - just keep playing/spending and maybe one day you could own that tank/ship that just outgunned you.

Well, you can damage ships and tanks 2 tiers above you, but what they have is an artificially large health point buffer and capabilities which is pronounced in both cruisers and destroyers, the ability to hose you down with big salvoes of shells frequently and torpedoes. The torpedo salvo numbers is ridiculous, I call it obscene. This seems most pronounced at the Tier 8-10 level. In other words it seems worse when you are in an 8-10 match, as an 8, versus being say a 6-8 match, as a 6.

The other problem is random battles, ie pickup matches where a bunch of strangers are thrown together and the competence of the team varies. I’m too casual to participate in ranked clan matches and consequently you can end up on terrible teams. The worst is at the end of a losing battle, frequently the long run away where you are being pursued by multiple ships and they slowly whittle your health away until you blow up. Now you can just turn into them and go out in a blaze of glory, but the run away tactic, you can get more points shooting while you run.

I’m going to give it a week and it’s very possible I’ll go back, I’ll spend more time at tiers 3-7, than 8, my highest ship.

I was kind of pissed in the Japanese line of Battleships, after having an excellent T6 Fuso, ending up with the wimpy T7 Nagato which I always regarded as a feared ship. You can watch the latter’s armor melt in a good hit.

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I was kind of pissed in the Japanese line of Battleships, after having an excellent T6 Fuso, ending up with the wimpy T7 Nagato which I always regarded as a feared ship. You can watch the latter’s armor melt in a good hit.
I'm building a model Nagato at the moment, it's a beautiful ship. I don't think the IJN ever risked getting it close enough to the action to actually sink anything during its service life, though, and it ended up getting used for thermonuclear target practice when it was captured after the war. Maybe they're right to make it impressive to look at but weak in combat.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know I have threatened this before, but I really want to quit World of Warships. For the sake of game balancing, they have made destroyers lethal little bastards able to throw 10-20 torpedoes in a single volley. Is there a modern warship, much less a WWII era ship that can throw that many? I don't mind the planes, where I usually face 2-4 torpedoes, but this drives me crazy. And no ****, they are beta testing submarines, in a 15 minute battle? I just don't see that and more aggravation as far as I can imagine.

The tier 10 battles suck basket balls if you are in them as an 8. I wish they would limit the tier spread to 2 tiers.

I love the concept, but what I find myself doing is playing as long as I win in Random battles and after I lose 1-3 times, I quit for the day. It's just too frustrating playing with random teams where half the time you have people making kamikaze runs at the enemy, they just don't know what they are doing, or they accuse you of being chicken if you don't throw yourself in to die post haste. ?

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
It's just too frustrating playing with random teams where half the time you have people making kamikaze runs at the enemy, they just don't know what they are doing, or they accuse you of being chicken if you don't throw yourself in to die post haste. ?
I remember when World of Tanks allowed cross-team chat, so players on your own side who blamed you for their early death would hang around for the rest of the match and call out your location to the enemy.

Completely toxic player base in these games (and, to be fair, in many other competitive online games)

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I am just amazed the client actually works on Mac now... but I need to load Catalina and see if it still works

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I remember when World of Tanks allowed cross-team chat, so players on your own side who blamed you for their early death would hang around for the rest of the match and call out your location to the enemy.

Completely toxic player base in these games (and, to be fair, in many other competitive online games)
I’m still hanging with World of Warships in small doses, as long as I win more than I lose, and don’t have 20 torpedoes thrown at me. ;) I don’t use in-game chat, but there is in-game texting with the other team. Is that what you are referencing?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I’m still hanging with World of Warships in small doses, as long as I win more than I lose, and don’t have 20 torpedoes thrown at me. ;) I don’t use in-game chat, but there is in-game texting with the other team. Is that what you are referencing?
Yes, you could send the text chat to team/party/individual or everyone, and dead players could continue to spam it with messages for the rest of the match. It was dreadful, just a constant stream of vile insults and then "He's in A3... now A4..." when you were the last person left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.