Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
I'm thinking about purchasing an iMac Pro, but since this product was released a couple of years ago, I'm questioning if I should wait or not. I currently have a 15" MBP and its getting pretty slow and annoying to deal with. I also am no longer in college, so I don't really need anything portable.

Also, does the iMac Pro every go on sale on B&H or something? Has there been any known issues with the Pro models? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I'm thinking about purchasing an iMac Pro, but since this product was released a couple of years ago, I'm questioning if I should wait or not.

The first question to ask is what would be your alternative? Fully configured the new MacPro its going to be maybe ~3-4x more expensive than the maxed out iMac Pro.

How long do you want to wait?

From a marketing perspective I wouldn't be updating the iMac Pro right now. I'd concentrate on the MacPro. When the buzz dies down and needs a refresh I'd then do the update, maybe WWDC.

But there is a new xeon:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-appropriate-for-an-updated-imac-pro.2204119/

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
It's all about the price/value. Should you pay $5K for one in 2019 when that was the price in 2017? Heck no.

But for 25% off? Maybe. I just saw an open box display model iMac Pro (2017) for sale at MicroCenter for $4K. The connectivity + quiet operation is probably worth it for that price. You likely wouldn't have found a deal like that in 2017, and that makes it at least a "reasonable" price in 2019.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
^ Even at around $4K, another variable is longevity, how long you plan on keeping the machine. If you upgrade the RAM in the iMac Pro you get closer to the $6K mark in which case it might make more sense to go for the Mac Pro. One Mac Pro instead of two iMac Pros over a 4-8 year timespan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.