Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaneuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Hello MacRumours,

I am currently working on an app for myself. The app is very simple, it allows me to post ideas with categories, then at the end of the week and the end of the month I get an e-mail with those ideas in a table. The whole idea for this app was basically to have a place to store my ideas with the following benefits:
  • Not polluting my todo list with items which aren't 'todos'
  • Not having ideas scatted all over the place in notebooks, e-mails etc.
  • Having regular reminders of my recent ideas so I can decide to do with them
At the moment, I have the app working for my own use. After mentioning it to some of my friends they've said it would be something they'd use, but they might just be saying that as they're my friends after all!

So my question to you is, is this something you would find useful and would you want to use it?

The main reason for asking this question is I am considering putting it on the iPhone and Android app stores, so I can have something good to show on my portfolio, but I want to make sure that there will be users for my app. If enough people are interested, I will post it on the iPhone and Android app stores for free (as I'm not intending this to make any money, I just want to have made something useful).

Thanks for reading and for anyone who takes the time to respond.

Shane

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Personally I just have a folder in the Notes app. Several folders for different things actually. So I wouldn’t use it but some might.

If your plan is making it free anyway though, why is it important if there’s a user base? Put it out and it’s in your portfolio anyway. And if you later make something that gets a larger user base it might drive more traffic across all your works anyway.

Also since you say both android and iOS, what did you write it in? Is it a PWA?

Reactions: mmomega

Shaneuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Personally I just have a folder in the Notes app. Several folders for different things actually. So I wouldn’t use it but some might.

If your plan is making it free anyway though, why is it important if there’s a user base? Put it out and it’s in your portfolio anyway. And if you later make something that gets a larger user base it might drive more traffic across all your works anyway.

Also since you say both android and iOS, what did you write it in? Is it a PWA?

The user base is somewhat important to me as having the apps in my portfolio with active users looks better, but also leads me down the path of learning how to make sure the app works for many users. The main reason for wanting check that people would use the app, because I already have my version working for me and it's a bit of a faff to make it useable others and publish it on the app stores when no one is going to use it.

I have written it in Swift for iOS, Kotlin for Android and Node.Js for the desktop and API.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The user base is somewhat important to me as having the apps in my portfolio with active users looks better, but also leads me down the path of learning how to make sure the app works for many users. The main reason for wanting check that people would use the app, because I already have my version working for me and it's a bit of a faff to make it useable others and publish it on the app stores when no one is going to use it.

Makes sense. Well, I'm quite unorganised so I wouldn't use my answers as an indication for how useful others might find it. But I think that the whole thing about emailing the ideas weekly is a less than ideal medium for the information for a lot of people. I'd assume most people would want something more akin to ScreenTime's notification with in-app check-up on the ideas.

I have written it in Swift for iOS, Kotlin for Android and Node.Js for the desktop and API.

Must be annoying keeping separate codebases. If I were targeting multiple platforms without a corporation behind me, I'd just use something like React Native, Swift for Android or a Java for iOS wrapper thingy to have just a single codebase to work with, even if less optimal.

Reactions: ZoroastrianChemist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.