Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If money is not part of the equation, would you choose 4K OLED touch configuration?

• Yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, prefer to use 4K IPS display

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I am talking about laptops with 4K screen here. I have never used OLED TV nor laptop with an OLED screen.

Recently more laptops have OLED touch configurations. I read that if one uses dark theme and display black images most of the time, it saves battery power. However, if one display things in white background such as websites, more power are consumed. Some mentioned about burn-in issue but others cited that Dave tested a Razer OLED laptop with a Samsung made display for a month and no problem. They reasoned that all current OLED laptop displays are from Samsung so if he has no problem, laptops with OLED display from other manufacturer should be fine. Given a choice and money is not part of the equation, would you choose a configuration with OLED touch display or just 4K IPS display? Why?

I am quite satisfied with X1E and Yoga C930's 4K screen. I don't know how much better can a OLED display looks like as I cannot access one locally.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I have an LG OLED TV that was very expensive... After a year I already have OLED burn in from an ESPN ticker that scrolled across the bottom of the screen...

Meh, I won't buy another OLED screen for anything other than a phone from now on. Anything that stays on for long amounts of time like a PC, I'll pass....

Reactions: Zxxv

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I’d have to see which screen my eyes prefer. That is the determining factor (and not making a mistake like the MBA or 2017 Acer again).

Also PWM, if none of that or screen burn in, I might consider an OLED screen depending on the laptop itself.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I cannot find any laptop with OLED screen in stores in Canada to check them out. How about the USA?

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Not for a laptop. I’m reasonable comfortable that my OLED TV (LG C8) will be fine so long as I don’t only play Apex Legends on it and switch it up with some dynamic content now and then. But I’d wait for a few years to see how these panels hold up to PC use cases.

That said I did have a Samsung Galaxy with the buttons fixed at the bottom and didn’t notice any burn in after 8 months so maybe they’re fine now.

MimicBunion972

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
No, not for this first gen mass produced OLED panel. I bought and returned Dell XPS 15" with OLED panel. It has color banding issue visible pretty much all the time. And many other owners noticed the color banding to greater or lesser extend. Will check back on OLED laptops when Gen 2 panels come out.

Reactions: radiologyman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me. I see no advantages of OLED and only disadvantages (burn in). I'm content with IPS panels, they have fast refresh (if you want that), they have touch screen (if you want that), so I'm not interested in OLED. I know its the future and we'll be seeing more and more OLED based laptops but for me, I'd prefer the tried and true ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have only used a small 12" Samsung laptop panel and the screen was a joy to use and given the option for a bigger panel I would choose it again

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Our Lisa mentions something about the OLED screen. At 5:51, what is mean by "black looks a little crushed"?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Basically, Dave says the Aero 15" OLED is the best one, but he doesn't recommend OLED for content creators because of how difficult it is to color calibrate those screens, he also brings up PWM which is another reason why I am staying away from those screens unless I know for sure these screens do not PWM.

Granted, my hobby design tinkering does not require color calibration, but I want to avoid PWM. Yes, I know the Asus Pro Duo high end has an OLED screen.

As far as crushed blacks, best description I could find is:

"In a showroom environment you'll barely see the near black levels of a good HDR clip on an OLED. For an LCD because the blacksare raised and the overall brightness is higher, will give you the impression of a better image."

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Black crush is where shades of black all get 'compressed' down to just black. The Xbox One had this issue (still kind of does) with its display output. Basically it means that especially dark details get lost because there's no nuance in particularly dark scenes between black and slightly less black. It's not surprising that it crushes the blacks. As I recall OLEDs can have banding issues with them and just dialing down the level of black details you can see is a work around.

Reactions: kazmac

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the clarifications. It seems that there is a risk buying this generation of OLED model.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Black crush is where shades of black all get 'compressed' down to just black. The Xbox One had this issue (still kind of does) with its display output. Basically it means that especially dark details get lost because there's no nuance in particularly dark scenes between black and slightly less black. It's not surprising that it crushes the blacks. As I recall OLEDs can have banding issues with them and just dialing down the level of black details you can see is a work around.

Thanks for that explanation.

Reactions: hajime

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
what is mean by "black looks a little crushed"?

After that sentence Lisa explains herself by saying something like: "...so if you play a dark scene in Tomb Raider you may have some difficulty distinguishing the differences in the black variations.".

I suppose that is what Lisa means with "crushed".

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
After that sentence Lisa explains herself by saying something like: "...so if you play a dark scene in Tomb Raider you may have some difficulty distinguishing the differences in the black variations.".

I suppose that is what Lisa means with "crushed".

Does this happen all the time or just sometimes? Can software be used to fix the problem?

I recall Galaxy Note 2 users had some issues with amoled screen. There was an utility to fix the problem.

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
I think OLED is a bit gimmicky to be honest, and not worth the cost / hassle. Not on devices like a laptop, anyway.
[doublepost=1567518709][/doublepost]
For me. I see no advantages of OLED and only disadvantages (burn in). I'm content with IPS panels, they have fast refresh (if you want that), they have touch screen (if you want that), so I'm not interested in OLED. I know its the future and we'll be seeing more and more OLED based laptops but for me, I'd prefer the tried and true ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Isn't there a technology out there awaiting further development based on LCD that's supposedly superior to OLED? I'm trying to remember what it's called, but there were rumours this is why Apple may be overlooking it on the Mac... or is my brain making this up?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think OLED is a bit gimmicky to be honest, and not worth the cost / hassle. Not on devices like a laptop, anyway.

Isn't there a technology out there awaiting further development based on LCD that's supposedly superior to OLED? I'm trying to remember what it's called, but there were rumours this is why Apple may be overlooking it on the Mac... or is my brain making this up?
I have no clue. There may be, but I'm not really up to speed on display technology.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I don't know the reason but some manufacturers only allow touch screen with OLED display.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

MicroLED is up and coming, but it isn't based on LCD.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Mini LED? basically a fancy backlight for an LCD panel that dims areas that are meant to be showing black, so they actually look black rather than dark grey. IMO if this closes the gap on OLED black levels significantly, that's the single major benefit of OLED neutralised for large devices like televisions, laptops and tablets. smartphones can still benefit from slimmer bezels and foldable form factors, though.

Reactions: 0989382

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Mini LED? basically a fancy backlight for an LCD panel that dims areas that are meant to be showing black, so they actually look black rather than dark grey. IMO if this closes the gap on OLED black levels significantly, that's the single major benefit of OLED neutralised for large devices like televisions, laptops and tablets. smartphones can still benefit from slimmer bezels and foldable form factors, though.

Yes, it's Mini LED! That's what I was referring to

Reactions: Falhófnir

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hi, I am talking about laptops with 4K screen here. I have never used OLED TV nor laptop with an OLED screen.

Recently more laptops have OLED touch configurations. I read that if one uses dark theme and display black images most of the time, it saves battery power. However, if one display things in white background such as websites, more power are consumed. Some mentioned about burn-in issue but others cited that Dave tested a Razer OLED laptop with a Samsung made display for a month and no problem. They reasoned that all current OLED laptop displays are from Samsung so if he has no problem, laptops with OLED display from other manufacturer should be fine. Given a choice and money is not part of the equation, would you choose a configuration with OLED touch display or just 4K IPS display? Why?

I am quite satisfied with X1E and Yoga C930's 4K screen. I don't know how much better can a OLED display looks like as I cannot access one locally.
Answer: No. Touchscreens on laptops that don't have 360 degree hinges makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Peadogie and kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.