Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If money is not part of the equation, would you choose 4K OLED touch configuration?

• Yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No, prefer to use 4K IPS display

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Answer: No. Touchscreens on laptops that don't have 360 degree hinges makes no sense to me.
I understand where your coming from but once you are use to touch even in a conventional clamshell you can't but help reaching for the screen on occasion :) and is a nice to have

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I understand where your coming from but once you are use to touch even in a conventional clamshell you can't but help reaching for the screen on occasion :) and is a nice to have
I have that with my Pixelbook... and I could make a case that with touch-optimized Android apps there would be even more reason to use the touchscreen. Nope.

Maybe it's because I'm an old dinosaur... if I'm using a physical keyboard then I want to use a physical mouse/trackpad/trackpoint. If I'm using a virtual onscreen keyboard then I want to use touch. Mixing and matching doesn't appeal to me. :D

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have that with my Pixelbook... and I could make a case that with touch-optimized Android apps there would be even more reason to use the touchscreen. Nope.

Maybe it's because I'm an old dinosaur... if I'm using a physical keyboard then I want to use a physical mouse/trackpad/trackpoint. If I'm using a virtual onscreen keyboard then I want to use touch. Mixing and matching doesn't appeal to me. :D
Sure :) and that's why I said its a nice to have.

It's a bit like having a backspace key and a delete key (not in Apple Land) you simply get use to the option when at times one is easier than the other, but not essential to have both. It's a convenience :) and that's how I look at touch on a day to day basis in clamshell mode :)

My most use touch in clamshell is accessing the message/sidebar where swiping from the right just seems natural to me now

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Sure :) and that's why I said its a nice to have.

It's a bit like having a backspace key and a delete key (not in Apple Land) you simply get use to the option when at times one is easier than the other, but not essential to have both. It's a convenience :) and that's how I look at touch on a day to day basis in clamshell mode :)

My most use touch in clamshell is accessing the message/sidebar where swiping from the right just seems natural to me now

Actually what is the different between backspace key and a delete key?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a work issued laptop with touchscreen and have never once used it. I'm another dinosaur I suppose because I don't understand the appeal of a touchscreen laptop, let alone how or why using one is productive.

I'm perfectly happy using touch devices but if I'm working off of a laptop, I'm using a physical keyboard and mouse or trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.