Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Recently discovered SheepShaver, and am trying to play the X-Files game made in 1998 (Yeah, I'm old). However, whenever I start the game, I just an error "This application can't be used…" or something. Can anyone help?

I'm running the latest version of SheepShaver, with Mac OS 8.1 & an Old World ROM.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
BTW... I am oldish too ?... and I have been strolling down memory lane as-well.
I have been playing around with Sheepshaver, Basiliskll 2, mini vMac, and QEMU to get all sorts of old Macintosh operating systems working.

Got running:
mini vMac: System 1, 6
Basiliskll 2: System 7.5.3
Sheepshaver: Mac OS 8, 8.5, 9.0.4
QEMU: OSXServer 1.2, Mac OS X DP 2 & 3, Mac OS X 10.0, 10.1 & 10.2

So cool!

But, I also ran into Porting Kit.
This makes running Windows apps and games on your modern Mac very easy! Buy a classic DRM-free PC game over at Gog, and install it using Porting Kit and classic gaming titles work on your Mac, like:
• Wolfenstein 3D
• Unreal
• Medal of Honor Warchest

Super, super fun!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
A while ago, I found "Dust: A Tale of the Wired West" using DOSBox. A bit glitchy, but still kind of fun. Just sad that I can play the whole game in what seems like only an hour. That's why I prefer open-ended games like SimCity, Civilization, and just got back into playing Spore (though not nearly as old as the others). Enough gameplay variations to last me a long time.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Reading this: X-Files game at Macintosh Garden it should work.
Got QuickTime 4 installed?
Hmm… I installed Quicktime 4, and it didn't want to work. I continued to get the "This application can't be used…" error. :( Might play around with it this weekend. Any other ideas? I think I remember a possible extension conflict when playing 20 years ago, but can't remember for sure.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Just an update… never got it to work on Mac. Kept getting the same error. Copied everything to my Bootcamp partition on my laptop, same everything except for the Windows version of the Sheepshaver app. Worked perfectly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.