Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2018
Finally AirPlay2 HomeKit is available for XBR75X950G.

I was wondering does this enable to ability to connect the HomePods Speakers to the TV without AppleTV? More so when watching cable (Verizon FiOS).

I’m trying to figure out via iPhone but I don’t know if I might be doing it wrong or you just can’t do it and only can via Apple TV.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

I was wondering does this enable to ability to connect the HomePods Speakers to the TV without AppleTV? More so when watching cable (Verizon FiOS).

I’m trying to figure out via iPhone but I don’t know if I might be doing it wrong or you just can’t do it and only can via Apple TV.

Can you just add them in the Airplay screen?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

From the Control Center:
80F20DB2-E117-481E-B2E5-9F6DA12B6CFB.png

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
From the Control Center:
View attachment 880542
I don't that's what the OP is trying to do. Your screen shot is from an iPhone, which would play whatever's on your phone via the speakers.
The OP wants to hear what's playing from the TV (in this case, cable TV) on the other speakers (such as HomePod. I'm pretty sure that this is not possible at the moment. Airplay TVs can accept input from an iOS or MacOS device, but they aren't able to send audio to another device, similar to what the Apple TV does. Probably not what they wanted to hear, but I hope this helps to clear up the confusion.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I don't that's what the OP is trying to do. Your screen shot is from an iPhone, which would play whatever's on your phone via the speakers.
The OP wants to hear what's playing from the TV (in this case, cable TV) on the other speakers (such as HomePod. I'm pretty sure that this is not possible at the moment. Airplay TVs can accept input from an iOS or MacOS device, but they aren't able to send audio to another device, similar to what the Apple TV does. Probably not what they wanted to hear, but I hope this helps to clear up the confusion.

I don’t have an Airplay TV but shouldn’t it show up in the Airplay Screen, like an ATV would and then just press on the HomePod in that screen to get the Audio to play on the HomePod? I was doing this while watching a movie on my ATV. Shouldn’t it be the same?
[automerge]1575406750[/automerge]
Here, I just played a movie in my ATV, went to this Airplay screen on my phone from the Control Center, under ATV (Master Bedroom) I clicked on Master Bedroom HomePod and I’m getting the audio through that HomePod. Once again, I don’t have an Airplay TV, but most definitely works with an Apple TV, which should be the same.
C08369C1-4516-4351-A6A3-BF5C16011DB4.png

Last edited:

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I think the OP is looking to play whats on tv through the HomePod for speakers. To the best of my knowledge the only way to do this is through an Apple TV. The HomeKit support just allows it to be added to scenes and the AirPlay 2 support just allows it to be a target that you can display video/audio through.

edit: looks like someone else already explained this

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I think the OP is looking to play whats on tv through the HomePod for speakers. To the best of my knowledge the only way to do this is through an Apple TV. The HomeKit support just allows it to be added to scenes and the AirPlay 2 support just allows it to be a target that you can display video/audio through.

edit: looks like someone else already explained this
Might be a limitation for Airplay 2 supported TVs but what the OP is trying to do works great with the ATV. I thought all connected Airplay 2 devices show up in that screen. I guess I’m wrong.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Might be a limitation for Airplay 2 supported TVs but what the OP is trying to do works great with the ATV. I thought all connected Airplay 2 devices show up in that screen. I guess I’m wrong.
No you're right. You would still be able to broadcast what is playing on your iPhone/Mac/iPad to the AirPlay TV. You just cannot broadcast from the TV directly to the HomePod, you would need the Apple TV in there to handle that like you mentioned.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
No you're right. You would still be able to broadcast what is playing on your iPhone/Mac/iPad to the AirPlay TV. You just cannot broadcast from the TV directly to the HomePod, you would need the Apple TV in there to handle that like you mentioned.
Ah ok, gotchya. Thanks for clarifying.
[automerge]1575408421[/automerge]
What is the use of an Airplay enabled TV then?. Who’s gonna send audio from their phone to TV speakers? Lol

Last edited:

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
What is the use of an Airplay enabled TV then?. Who’s gonna send audio from their phone to TV speakers? Lol
Yeah, that would be odd, but you can send video/images via Airplay, too.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
If you have a home theater system setup through the tv you could utilize those speakers for audio.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yeah, that would be odd, but you can send video/images via Airplay, too.
Fair enough. A little off topic, I’m personally a huge fan of the ATV (with a TV that has HDMI CEC). Does some amazing things with Siri Shortcuts. I Just got rid of Verizon FiOS for AT&T TV Now.

Reactions: d.steve

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Fair enough. A little off topic, I’m personally a huge fan of the ATV (with a TV that has HDMI CEC). Does some amazing things with Siri Shortcuts. I Just got rid of Verizon FiOS for AT&T TV Now.

Same here. I have an ATV on every TV in the house. All content via internet. YouTube TV, etc. Only have to ever switch inputs when going between ATV and PS4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.