Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
XCode 11 and 11.1 are so completely broken that I can't use them to update an application. I'll have to uninstall 11 and re-install 10.3, which you can get here:

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Unfortunately that archived XCode 10.3 is in a .xip format - a format not supported by Mac OS X Catalina 10.15 so you can't to go back to 10.3. If you "upgraded" To XCode 11 you're stuck with a crappy IDE.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
XCode 11 and 11.1 are so completely broken that I can't use them to update an application. I'll have to uninstall 11 and re-install 10.3, which you can get here:

Are you sure zip isn't supported in Catalina? Try man xip in Terminal. It might be CLI only but I can't imagine them removing that.
If it's really an issue you could uncompress it on an older OS version and carry it over

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
NO, it's NOT a .zip it's a .xip. I don't have an older machine running a pre-Catalina OS. man xip says:

DESCRIPTION
The xip tool is used to create a digitally signed archive. As of macOS
Sierra, only archives that are signed by Apple are trusted, and the for-
mat is deprecated for third party use.

Unfortunately these are not signed by Apple.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
NO, it's NOT a .zip it's a .xip. I don't have an older machine running a pre-Catalina OS. man xip says:

DESCRIPTION
The xip tool is used to create a digitally signed archive. As of macOS
Sierra, only archives that are signed by Apple are trusted, and the for-
mat is deprecated for third party use.

Unfortunately these are not signed by Apple.

zip was a typo. I meant xip. Auto correct seems to change it.

I guess I'll try and extract it for you. I'll post with it soon

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Obviously I downloaded it or how would I know that 10.15 Catalina wouldn't open it? Go ahead and try it if you're curious about it. I've spent WAY too much time fighting with Catlina and XCode 11. I'm over it. I'm just going to ignore all of the errors for now. Part of the reason I posted this was to warn other developers not to "upgrade" to either of these for a while - especially XCode. According to a thread on the Apple developer site the inability to open .xips has already been fixed in a beta of 10.16.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I gave you a download link. I uncompressed the zip and gave you a download link to the Xcode.app bundle. I'll leave it up for another day if you want a chance to get it.

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
So you CAN get it via the terminal but not via Catalina. This is interesting. I'm downloading the app.

Last edited:

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
It's taking forever. I'll turn off my VPN, etc. and let it run all night. Maybe it will work...

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
I got it but in Catalina XCode.app.zip is in a unknown format, so in Camino .zips are also not recognized! Thanks for trying but I'll just get the .xip from the developer site and decompress it with the console.

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
I installed the update to OS X 10.15 (19A602) and now the compression program works.

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Running my project with XCode 10.3 doesn't fix any problems like:

Unknown class NSBoxCustom in Interface Builder file at path...
CoreUI: RunTimeThemeRefForBundleIdentifierAndName() couldn't find Assets.car in bundle with identifier: 'com.Appname'

So it looks like the problem is in running XCode on Catalina.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Running my project with XCode 10.3 doesn't fix any problems like:

Unknown class NSBoxCustom in Interface Builder file at path...
CoreUI: RunTimeThemeRefForBundleIdentifierAndName() couldn't find Assets.car in bundle with identifier: 'com.Appname'

So it looks like the problem is in running XCode on Catalina.

I think you might want to reinstall macOS or something. I don't get any issues, so you might have a borked system, or your project directory may be screwed

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
No thanks. I certainly won't reinstall Catalina. Also It's not just me. there lots of other developers with the same problems.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
No thanks. I certainly won't reinstall Catalina. Also It's not just me. there lots of other developers with the same problems.

In that case I'm sorry for your issues, but I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes technology comes with difficulties that require workarounds. Especially with newer systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.