Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gimmesomemo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Apologies for the probably annoying newbie question, and I’m going to be completely honest, after a quick search and no result - I really can’t be arsed to look through 100 threads for the answer.

Im going to give an swift online course a go, after giving up due to having kids a few years ago.

Currently clean installing my old MacBook Pro, but I will only be able to get up to Xcode 9 on it I believe - however my iPad Pro and iphone are both on iOS 13... Is this going to be a problem for testing the apps out?

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
I will only be able to get up to Xcode 9 on it I believe - however my iPad Pro and iphone are both on iOS 13... Is this going to be a problem for testing the apps out?

Using Xcode 9, you're going to have issues testing on a device running anything newer than iOS 11. A given version of Xcode ships with a specific iOS SDK and doesn't support devices running iOS versions newer than the included iOS SDK.

You can run apps on the Simulator. If the Swift course is about the Swift language and not iOS development, you can run the code on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.