Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I use the gcc compiler package which requires that the XCode Command Line Tools (CLT) be installed. I've always thought that installing these tools required that the entire XCode package be installed as well, presuming that the CLT package required things in the main XCode package. Now I'm wondering if I've always thought wrong. I don't use XCode for anything unless the CLT package needs it to be installed, so I'd just as soon not have to deal with having the entire XCode beast on my system. So, are the XCode Command Line Tools a stand-alone package?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I use the gcc compiler package which requires that the XCode Command Line Tools (CLT) be installed. I've always thought that installing these tools required that the entire XCode package be installed as well, presuming that the CLT package required things in the main XCode package. Now I'm wondering if I've always thought wrong. I don't use XCode for anything unless the CLT package needs it to be installed, so I'd just as soon not have to deal with having the entire XCode beast on my system. So, are the XCode Command Line Tools a stand-alone package?
You can download the command line tools directly from the Apple developer site under https://developer.apple.com/downloads/more
They do not require the full Xcode to be installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.