Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
XBMC version 11 was the last for PowerPC and soon after it became known as Kodi and is now probably the most successful media player out there.
Although the interface can be clunky for anything other than it's intended purpose - a complete media front end - on PowerPC it does represent perhaps the most comprehensive player available covering a wide range of formats and a playback efficiency somewhere around MPlayers but definitely better than VLC (and obviously QuickTime.)
Also of note, it can be selected by SMTube for streaming too and easily plays 720P on my DLSD.

What I've done here is swapped the default interface for the lightest available, added my custom graphic, added my droplet script - XPlayer and configured it all ready to go.

To install, download here: XPlayer, unzip the archive, mount and open the disk image and double click the install icon.
This will install the preferences into ~/Library/Application Support and XBMC and XPlayer into /Applications.
Make a shortcut by dragging XPlayer into the dock - to use drop your desired video onto the icon and it will be played in XBMC.

I've tested this without problems in Tiger and Leopard on my 1.33 12" Powerbook and 15" DLSD respectively.

XBMC can be controlled with the mouse but I find these shortcuts useful:

=/-............Volume up and down
\................Full screen/windowed
up/down.....Jump forward/backward
left/right.....Small jump forward/backward
o................CPU use and diagnostic info
cmd+q........Stop and exit

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.