Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one do you use whole day?

• Total voters

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Light mode during the day, and I triple-press my home button to change to "smart invert" the colours when it's night.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Dark is a fad. Android had dark mode (ie, the only mode) from damn near the beginning and no one cared.
LOL. I must really hold on to fads then. I've had dark mode through jailbreak since 2013. A lot of people jailbroke their phones for dark mode, especially since iOS 7 came out with blinding white.

Six years is a long time for a fad, a long time for people to be asking Apple for the same thing don't you think?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I have tried Dark Mode running on iPhone XR, iPad Air 3 and MacBookAir (2019). Seems good for a time, but I always go back to light mode.

Last edited:

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I was using dark mode in order to test it, throughout all the iOS 13 betas.

When the official build launched, I went back to light mode and couldn't be more happy!

In my eyes, dark mode looks more "techie" and light mode looks more clean and sophisticated, if we can say that about phone themes.

Apart from the looks of it, I believe reading black text on white, is much easier for my own eyes, which literally hurt whenever I was trying to read a pdf, or long texts in general.

It feels more natural to read digital text with the same look of a physical book or magazine.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
Light mostly. But if I was on a pro I’d be using night whenever I need more battery life but it’s not my preferred option. Doesn’t look good to me.

Reactions: Lucas284

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
What I would like is to have the option of a dark mode dock and menubar while keeping light mode for everything else. It looks fantastic in Linux (Mate and Cinnamon), I would think it would look equally amazing in macOS.

I dislike transparency/translucency and "Reduce Transparency" makes the dock and menubar an ugly white. Would be nice to use "Reduce Transparency" and be able to make the dock and menubar dark mode or control the color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.