Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Dead Space 1 was good, Dead Space 2 was excellent, Dead Space 3 flopped unfortunately. But the first two were very good and similar to Doom, which I always enjoyed.

I still really enjoyed 3, it had some great moments, but was just too action orientated, and lacked the scares of the first two. I wish they'd bring out a version for the current generation of consoles.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I still really enjoyed 3, it had some great moments, but was just too action orientated, and lacked the scares of the first two. I wish they'd bring out a version for the current generation of consoles.

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see Dead Space revamped for the current GEN consoles. I think it was a strong contender to Doom and has so much potential that the developers offered.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I might consider getting the remasters if they make it to the Switch.

:eek: :D

Can't imagine playing those games on a console..does GoG not work on Macs?..

..and get those Monkey Island games (I and II)!! There are also remasters available. Also, check out the Indiana Jones ones if you haven't. For the remasters, I got all of them but I'm playing them with the original graphics (you can switch per button press) - pure nostalgia.

The Dig came out just after Full Throttle IIRC and although I just started playing it would consider it the end of that amazing point n click adventure run of Lucas Arts.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
:eek: :D

Can't imagine playing those games on a console..does GoG not work on Macs?..

..and get those Monkey Island games (I and II)!! There are also remasters available. Also, check out the Indiana Jones ones if you haven't. For the remasters, I got all of them but I'm playing them with the original graphics (you can switch per button press) - pure nostalgia.

The Dig came out just after Full Throttle IIRC and although I just started playing it would consider it the end of that amazing point n click adventure run of Lucas Arts.

I think GoG works on Macs but i've never tried any of their software. I have the original discs of those games so I didnt want o buy them again. Check out 'DosBox' and 'ScummVM' on the Mac (if you have the old original discs).

With the Switch...apparently devs can emulate the pointer by using the motion sensors (see World of Goo). The main reason i'd consider getting the remasters on the Switch is cause i'll have them in portable form and on my TV (Not just my Mac). :D

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London
  • Portal 2
  • Red dead redemption
  • Shemue
  • Batman arkham city
  • Call of duty 4

Honourable mentions
  • Killer instinct snes
  • Street fighter 2 turbo snes
  • GTA 'cousin it is your cousin' one
  • Super smash bros gamecube
  • Donkey kong snes

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I couldn't agree more. I would love to see Dead Space revamped for the current GEN consoles. I think it was a strong contender to Doom and has so much potential that the developers offered.

If it wasn't for the fact that GTAV just gives me such a polished all-round experience that's got violence, humour, driving, flying, shooting, great music etc then Dead Space 1/2 would be at my top spot. Such good games. The first one genuinely scared me when I played it alone at night. No other game has managed that. The atmosphere, graphics, sound, and level design were just spot on. I'm desperate for them to release one for this generation.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I still play Far Cry 2 on the PS3. Just love the ability to wander around doing what I want and picking off guards etc if I want. I did buy Far Cry 3 but it seems more formulaic in its approach so that you're more corralled into following quests. I got stuck trying to get into a shipwreck and gave up after a few tries.

c8rlo

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
FL
no order:

- Destiny (XB1)
- Final Fantasy 7 (Playstation)
- Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (coin-op)
- Cobra Command (coin-op)
- Dragon Warrior (NES)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
The Last of Us
Uncharted 1-4
Portal 1 & 2
Half Life 1 - 2
Resident Evil 7
Layers of Fear
Outlast

Oops, that's more than 5!

Reactions: AngerDanger

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Of all time? Hmmm ok.

Master of Orion 2 - Totally amazing 4X space based game. This game would be praised by many if it was released by an indie today. It tolds up well today, though it's an approx 20 year old game. Had so much fun playing this game and learning about it as almost everything in the game is right clickable to get info about it.
Note Well - The 3rd and 4th games on this series are garbage.

Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - My favourite point and click adventure game. One of the first I have ever played and still my favourite one after playing so many. Lots of humour and it really makes you think.
The new Monkey Island and Back To The Future (in 5 parts) games are good for modern ponit and click games too.

Quell Momento - Simple fun casual game with an amazing soundtrack and a great story. The story is not told all that well, but the music and gameplay are great. The other 3 games in the series (Quell, Quell Reflections and Quell Zen) are similar and just as good.

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 - Best Wii game in my opinion. Sure technically it's 2 games but Nintendo only turned the 2nd from a expansion pack into a new game after they realised how much content they had for part 2. It's just wow. Today as well as back then.

Terranigma - My favourite SNES game. The last game Enix made before the Squaresoft / Enix Co merger. It's a real time RPG. Think like Zelda SNES or Illusion of Time/Gaia but way better. Only released in Japan/Europe and Australia. For many emulating it with the rom is the best way to play it. And you should. The story totally made me feel sad at the end, in a good way. A really good game. The game is actually based on Earth too. You can visit all the continents in the game.

To The Moon - This is more of an interavtive story than a game. But totally worth playing. The story here is amazing. I can't talk about because spoilers really ruin the game as the unexpected turns the story has are the main reason to play the game. If you like great stories this is a must.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Massive open world RPG. Think Breath of the Wild large. I really hope this is ported to the Nintendo Switch. If nothing is said at E3, I'll go back and play this on the WiiU. Not much to dislike here. I was not really a fan of the Wii game but the WiiU game totally hooked me.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Probably my favourite Zelda game. How do I know this? 110 hours in and still not touched any of the 5 main dungeons and I still want to keep playing the game. A game that is as fresh at the 100 hour mark as it is at hour zero, that's prety huge. The game is really as good as all the reviews say.

Starcraft and Broodwars - I probably have played the Diablo games more but Starcraft and Broodwars really are great games. At the time I really like them. They hold up really well and the story is way better than the Starcraft 2. I also think the multiplayer balance is better in Brood Wars than SC2.
Note Well: Starcraft and Broodwars are being remastered so get that when it's out so you can play these in modern OS's with decent resolutions and updated graphics, sounds and voices.

Hearthstone - Probably the best digital card game ever. It's just really fun. I've played way too much of it.

I know this is ten and not Five but I can't narrow down the list anymore.

I'm just disappointed by the lack of traditional Zelda dungeons in BOTW. The two "dungeon" bosses I completed so far offered no challenge. The regular enemies are more challenging than the bosses. It is still an epic adventure.
That's the whole point, you play it and after a while you realise, oh wow I have 50+ hours into it. You don't feel like you love it while you play it but you're so engrossed that nothing else matters but this game. I've done 110 hours so far into the game and not touched any of the 5 main dungeons in the game. Any game that does this is totally worthy of it's scores.

Reactions: blesscheese

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Fallout 3
Uncharted - All of them
Starcraft
Last of Us - minus the crappy expansion they just ripped from the middle of the game.
Horizon Zero Dawn

Lawzen

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2017
I like this thread!
No particular order:
Gran Turismo series
Crash Bandicoot
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES
Metal Slug
RuneScape (yes I said RuneScape!:rolleyes:)
Even with all the games out today, I'd spend hours still playing these given the chance

Romac

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2012
#1 is easily Breath of the Wild - was completely blindsided by it as I've never held a lot of interest in the Zelda games, but it provided a sense of wonder I haven't felt since I was a child

#2 Castlevania 1 - I can't think of a more rewarding feeling in my gaming life than finally downing Dracula

#3 Dragon Age 1 - came through at a time in my life where I really became engrossed in the story.

#4 Super Mario Bros 3 - this is almost interchangeable with SMW for me given the day and mood I'm in, but between the two of them it's as close to platforming perfection that we've ever had, even all these years later.

#5 Forza Motorsport - particularly 2-4 had most of my attention. I was a Gran Turismo junkie until the formula, AI and delays got stale, and in came Turn 10 with a new level of creation and community.

My honorable mentions;
- New Super Mario Bros DS - loved this! It's old news and played out now, but at the time it felt like coming home!
- Mario Land 2 GB - pure fun
- Super Castlevania IV SNES
- Castlevania Bloodlines
- The Last of Us

Larry_Gilmore

Suspended
Oct 11, 2017
Many of games I play and like those games but here I will write only 5 names of my favorite game:
1- Call of Duty.
2- Resident Evil 4.
3- Assassin's Creed.
4- Devil May Cry 3.
5- Silent Hill.

Dukeie

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
1) Full Throttle (LucasArts) (PC/Mac)
2) Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II (GCN)
3) Super Mario Brothers (NES)
4) Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (GEN)
5) Shadow of the Colossus (PS3)

Did you know Full Throttle is out on the iPhone? Just found out a couple of days ago!

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
In no order...

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The hype was unreal. Waiting for years for just glimpses of this game in magazines built the mystery up. It didn't disappoint. Epic adventure.

Dark Souls. Got into this series way late. I remember when Demons Souls was gaining some momentum in underground circles but I ignored it as I didn't have a PS3. When Dark Souls was released, all the talk about "Prepare to Die" and how it was a game only for people who wanted to devote themselves to it turned me off. I had no clue about the deep lore and the insane detail and attention given to it's production by Miyazake & Co.
After watching a friend play the beginning of Dark Souls 3, I went back and watched a youtube series by "EpicNameBro" who played through all of Dark Souls 1 and explained the lore and mechanics. I was now hooked. Bought all 3 games in the series and Bloodborne. Have been completely consumed by them ever since. Dark Souls is a masterpiece.

Ripley's Believe it or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu. Weird PC game that I got way back when. Purchased at BJ's Wholesale store. They used to have this big PC section and I would just go into a trance looking at all the boxes of PC games. I remember being really curious about MYST as it had such insane graphics and such a cool box cover. Anyways, this Ripley's game is a point and click adventure which was hard as nails. It ran on my junkbox computer though so I played it all the time on and off for years. Never beat it until last year when I found it at my parents house, relaunched it on my Mac and looked up a guide so I could cheat my way through it and finally put this thing to rest. Great game though!

Fallout4. Although I don't think it's the best Fallout game, and it gets a lot of things wrong, I still love it. The Bethesda E3 conference when they finally revealed this game was legendary. They hype leading up to this game was so crazy. And playing a Fallout game set in the city I grew up in was so nuts.

Legend of Zelda. The OG for NES. The game that started it all for me. Gold cartridge. All time, A #1 greatest videogame theme song. Flawless game. I can still play this one and get completely absorbed by it.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Did you know Full Throttle is out on the iPhone? Just found out a couple of days ago!

Yeah. DoubleFine Productions Remastered it (and Day of the Tentacle) recently-ish. Hoping they release both for the Switch (To play on my TV and on the go).

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Portal 2

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.