Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cw48494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
Just now receiving such message when trying to access the Youtube app.

Is there a way to edit out the pop-up? Youtube seems to work fine when loading/playing videos until the pop-up notification which only gives you the option of upgrading or quitting the application.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I've ran into this problem too with my unjailbroken iPod Touch 4th gen on 6.1.6 which started over spring break.

Since I'm not jailbroken, I found a amusing solution. You can delete the app and then re-downoad it. For me, all of my google accounts were still signed in and, I could freely watch videos.

Unfortunately, i've noticed that if I closed the app or it crashed, It would display that same annoying message and I'd have to delete the app and re-download it again to get rid of that message.

cw48494

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
It used to be that if you find the info.plist file and change the internal app version number to something much closer to the current version, it would stop displaying the popup. That said, that's how it used to be implemented, so I'm not sure if that's changed in the last couple of years.

Edited .plist and changed dates to 2018 and check for ios version to false, seems to work great now! Changing version only changed the UI but doesn't seem to matter either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.