Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
I read a lot about using iPads as a laptop replacement, which I have done to some degree with my 2017 10.5" iPad Pro, which will be replaced today with an M2 11" Air.

I bought my iPad with both the 1st gen pencil and Smart Folio Keyboard, which is about as bulky an attachment as I can live with. The Magic Keyboard does not appeal to me with its bulk and price, and while the SFK works ok and I have used it for blog post assignments I do as a little side hustle, I have found over the years that I instinctively go for my PC laptop for typing intensive tasks and just don't type much at all with the iPad--maybe occasionally I'll flip out the keyboard for a long-ish text or email. I also have a few bluetooth keyboards available if the need arises to type a lot on the iPad on the go, I can just throw one in my suitcase.

For productivity, I am ultimately a desktop person. I love my Mac Studio and Studio Display combo and it is a centerpiece of my life, really. The iPad is my least used Apple device but I do love it as an e-Reader on the couch or in bed and for serving various non-work needs when traveling. I love the portability and for many things I love the tablet form factor. My wife got an M1 Air for $750 and if I wanted a laptop, I would just get something like that. Which is not to say I don't understand why some people want to load up a top spec iPad Pro as a laptop replacement.

So I'm planning on just going with the Air and Pencil Pro for now and seeing how things go. I might change my mind and get some kind of keyboard later, and if Apple comes out with a compatible SFK that will increase the likelihood of doing so.

Who else is or plans on using the iPad solely as a tablet? I assume we're a minority but I know you're out there. Would love to hear how it works for you and ways you have adapted.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
To be honest, my problem isn't the fact that tablet isn't a great replacement for my laptop.

My problem is it costs astronomically more than an equivalent laptop and does half the things that I need it to. I think if you are an artist, this makes more sense since pencil functionality doesn't exist on laptops.

if ipads + keyboard cost the same as a macbook air than nobody will have an issue IMO

Reactions: aurora_sect

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
My keyboardless kit is all set now. Picked up the Smart Folio and Pencil Pro and I love how compact it is. I like the level surface and reduced bulk of the no-keyboard folio. The new pencil is such a massive update over the first gen I had; it feels as great in hand as my favorite ballpoint, the Baron Fig Squire. I love the squeeze functions. Going to work on becoming proficient with the pencil and we'll see if or how often I miss the keyboard.

IMG_2597.jpg

Reactions: Surfsalot

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Who else is or plans on using the iPad solely as a tablet? I assume we're a minority but I know you're out there. Would love to hear how it works for you and ways you have adapted.

This is the majority of users I reckon. They just don’t go to MacRumors and are simply happily using their iPads (many of which likely still have the home button).

A lot of my relatives use iPads. Apart from me, none of them even use bluetooth keyboards with their iPad much less the $350 Magic Keyboard.

I don’t use a Magic Keyboard either. I have a multi-device Logitech K780 that I use with my desktop and iPads when I’m sitting in front of my desk. Everywhere else (bed, couch, travel, etc), I just use the OSK.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If you’re coming from an iPad Pro, I highly recommend you to stick to an iPad Pro (especially because of ProMotion and quad speakers)

iPad Pro M1 and M2 are both excellent options

You could buy from the Apple refurb store

Reactions: aurora_sect

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
This is the majority of users I reckon. They just don’t go to MacRumors and are simply happily using their iPads (many of which likely still have the home button).

A lot of my relatives use iPads. Apart from me, none of them even use bluetooth keyboards with their iPad much less the $350 Magic Keyboard.

I don’t use a Magic Keyboard either. I have a multi-device Logitech K780 that I use with my desktop and iPads when I’m sitting in front of my desk. Everywhere else (bed, couch, travel, etc), I just use the OSK.
Yeah, I'm sure that's true..I think hanging out here has distorted my perception of the typical iPad user a bit.

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
Never used a iPad with keyboard or pencil.
Have tried them but not for me.
I have been mostly in this mode for awhile myself..my keyboard and pencil kind of fell by the wayside. But I do really like the new Pencil Pro, we'll see if it catches on with a bit more effort.

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
If you’re coming from an iPad Pro, I highly recommend you to stick to an iPad Pro (especially because of ProMotion and quad speakers)

iPad Pro M1 and M2 are both excellent options

You could buy from the Apple refurb store
Good points, I didn't really mean to make this a Pro vs Air thread but I did mention my reasons in the OP, so fair enough. And it is good to keep refurbs in mind.

I do think that the M4 Air is a pretty big upgrade over my 2017 10.5" IPP, though!

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
I use my iPad as an iPad that I sometimes have attached to a Magic Keyboard and at other times don’t.
That's cool, I have a few BT keyboards around the house that I can use if necessary, but I also have a Mac so more likely I would just hop on that if I need a keyboard.

I like traveling light so I won't be packing any sort of keyboard, except that I have to take my PC laptop for the odd work task here and there. The next time I travel, the laptop will be my only option if I need a keyboard. I think it will be fine but there is a chance I will find it unduly constraining.

Maybe to clarify a bit, I'll just say that I have absolutely no axe to grind about whether or not people use keyboards with their iPads. But I don't have a keyboard that attaches to my new iPad, and I don't plan on getting one right now. I want to share my experience adapting to an iPad with no keyboard and I'm interested in how others have maybe optimized their own no-keyboard setups.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Good points, I didn't really mean to make this a Pro vs Air thread but I did mention my reasons in the OP, so fair enough. And it is good to keep refurbs in mind.

I do think that the M4 Air is a pretty big upgrade over my 2017 10.5" IPP, though!
Honestly, even the iPad Pro 2018 is a big upgrade because it changes the entire way of using the iPad

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
That's cool, I have a few BT keyboards around the house that I can use if necessary, but I also have a Mac so more likely I would just hop on that if I need a keyboard.

I like traveling light so I won't be packing any sort of keyboard, except that I have to take my PC laptop for the odd work task here and there. The next time I travel, the laptop will be my only option if I need a keyboard. I think it will be fine but there is a chance I will find it unduly constraining.

Maybe to clarify a bit, I'll just say that I have absolutely no axe to grind about whether or not people use keyboards with their iPads. But I don't have a keyboard that attaches to my new iPad, and I don't plan on getting one right now. I want to share my experience adapting to an iPad with no keyboard and I'm interested in how others have maybe optimized their own no-keyboard setups.
Magic keyboard is light, portable, and doesnt need much space

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I bought the new 13“ M4, pencil pro, portfolio case and new keyboard. Love it all but returned the keyboard because it is not how I use my device. Had the keyboard for my 12.9 and it sat in a drawer for a year. The new keyboard is way better than the old one, but just not for me. 99% of the time my G4 is sitting in my lap and the keyboard does not do good in the lap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.