Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guesss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
I have installed and been using Windows on my iMAC for years, but one thing is bothering me. Every time my iMAC restarts, it gets stuck at the No Bootable Device screen. I will need to restart the machine, press the ALT key and select the EFI Boot drive to start into Windows. Every solution on No Bootable Devices says to uninstall windows and reinstall. I cannot do that as i have used windows for years and have a lot of stuff om my machine already. Is there another solution to start straight into the EFI drive instead of getting stuck at the No Bootable Device Screen.

Lately, i have also read a post about the EFI/EFI folder, and I have three folders in there, APPLE, BOOT, and WINDOWS. The BOOT folder only contains one executable file (the boot64x.efi file) while the WINDOWS folder contains two other folder (a BOOT and something else). Removing this WINDOWS folder will cause my Windows to not start up at all. Removing the BOOT folder does nothing at all.

Please help if possible, Otherwise i may just have to use my previous method to get into windows everytime the machine restarts. Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Perhaps someone else may offer a solution, but my guess is the only way you're going to fix this (so that you can boot to the Mac OS again), is to:
- Boot to internet recovery or a bootable USB flashdrive installer
- ERASE the ENTIRE internal drive back to Mac format
- Reinstall the Mac OS
- Restore your Mac data (from your backup).

... then decide from there what you wish to do about Windows (on the Mac).
I wouldn't use bootcamp anymore.
I'd use "an emulated solution" instead -- VMWare Fusion or Parallels.

Guesss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
Perhaps someone else may offer a solution, but my guess is the only way you're going to fix this (so that you can boot to the Mac OS again), is to:
- Boot to internet recovery or a bootable USB flashdrive installer
- ERASE the ENTIRE internal drive back to Mac format
- Reinstall the Mac OS
- Restore your Mac data (from your backup).

... then decide from there what you wish to do about Windows (on the Mac).
I wouldn't use bootcamp anymore.
I'd use "an emulated solution" instead -- VMWare Fusion or Parallels.
Thank you for the reply. This is however not the problem that i am facing. I am able to boot to my MAC OS and also my Windows (If I select it from the boot menu), but i would like to automatically boot into windows without selecting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.