Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RS12#

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Can anyone comment on the performance of you iMAC if you upgraded to mojave os for 2009 iMac

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Can anyone comment on the performance of you iMAC if you upgraded to mojave os for 2009 iMac
If you have an internal ssd model (or do what I did and installed one myself where the sata spinning portion of the fusion drive was) then Mojave is absolutely great.
However, with just a fusion drive, or worse, only a spinning drive, Mojave and the previous 3 or 4 prior OS's totally suck ass.

I kinda feel beginning with Sierra in 2016 that having a fusion drive started to become a significant penalty.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

Have you upgraded your GPU? Because the stock GPU (mobile Radeon HD4850) on the 27" is not really going to work at all with Mojave/Catalina, because it doesn't support Metal.

Reactions: Nicole1980

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Have you upgraded your GPU? Because the stock GPU (mobile Radeon HD4850) on the 27" is not really going to work at all with Mojave/Catalina, because it doesn't support Metal.
with the patcher it'll work fine. the 5xxx and 6xxx don't work at all

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
thanks.created usb boot.Machine strarts booting from it ,then stops and shuts down or just hangs up ,a few minutes before finishing
hmmm. I've always had luck with it on the few machines I've tried it on. To be sure, it's basically an unsupported 'experimental' kind of thing. So the fact that a particular system balks at the install isn't entirely surprising to me.

One question though: What OS was the latest installed on that Mac? Ideally to get the DOSdude1 patcher to work, you would have installed the very latest OS that is officially supported on that Mac FIRST. Even though you're then erasing the drive, the most recent OS may have a firmware update that the DOSdude1 patcher is expecting to be present.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
thanks.created usb boot.Machine strarts booting from it ,then stops and shuts down or just hangs up ,a few minutes before finishing
Specifically, did you install High Sierra on that Mac first? In a couple cases I had to install High Sierra (10.13) on Macs BEFORE Mojave, otherwise the Mojave install would hang - just as you describe.

The reason I think is that High Sierra and Mojave both do a Firmware update if you're coming from OS 10.12 (Sierra) or earlier. For some reason though, the Mojave installers attempt to do the firmware update has issues at times, while the High Sierra one does not.

Since your mac fully supports High Sierra, go ahead and install that first and then try your DOSdude1 installer disk again.

savutano

macrumors newbie
Specifically, did you install High Sierra on that Mac first? In a couple cases I had to install High Sierra (10.13) on Macs BEFORE Mojave, otherwise the Mojave install would hang - just as you describe.

The reason I think is that High Sierra and Mojave both do a Firmware update if you're coming from OS 10.12 (Sierra) or earlier. For some reason though, the Mojave installers attempt to do the firmware update has issues at times, while the High Sierra one does not.

Since your mac fully supports High Sierra, go ahead and install that first and then try your DOSdude1 installer disk again.
thanks,high sierra is installed,I'll give up for now,

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
I am running two iMacs, early 2009 and late 2009 (20" & 27") with dosdude1 Mojave. Both are at the latest updates, both are running SSD's with max memory. They run exceptionally well, no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.