Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Just got done with the update to macOS Sonoma 14.5.

I have FileVault enabled. After the initial post-boot authentication the screen went black again, showed the Apple logo and a progress bar at the bottom. The progress bar was disconcertingly long stuck at about 5%, I would say 3 min. That’s not the boot-up behavior I am used to.

Eventually, I got another log-in screen, and it seemed like the launch of my previously open apps was already in full swing. Really weird!

P.S.: The system is a 2021 MacBook Pro with an M1 Max.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Just got done with the update to macOS Sonoma 14.5.

I have FileVault enabled. After the initial post-boot authentication the screen went black again, showed the Apple logo and a progress bar at the bottom. The progress bar was disconcertingly long stuck at about 5%, I would say 3 min. That’s not the boot-up behavior I am used to.

Eventually, I got another log-in screen, and it seemed like the launch of my previously open apps was already in full swing. Really weird!

P.S.: The system is a 2021 MacBook Pro with an M1 Max.
any change after (another) reboot?

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
This behavior is something I've seen a handful of times. I wouldn't consider it concerning, and especially not a 14.5 release behavior.

Bucks_Fizz

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2018
(Sorry for jumping on this thread, but I am having weirdness also...)

Just updated to 14.5 public release. External monitor (Dell) no longer works. Changed cables, shutdown, restart...nada.

Any ideas?

Edit:
So i unplugged the monitor, unplugged the HDMI cable bit display settings are still showing two monitors. Built-in & Dell. Apple Music mini player was on the external screen and according to Mac, still is? So with no power, no display cable, my Mac still thinks it's connected.

How do i remove an external screen from Sonoma?

Snow4maen

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Just updated and got strange behaviour in Mail, was trying to select 'reply' but when left clicking it created a tiny envelop icon and the computer wouldn't respond to any clicks at all. Couldn't access the menu to reboot, or shutdown, didn't respond to the clicks. So I pressed the power button to log out, logged in again and at the moment it seems ok. Bit worrying that.

Bucks_Fizz

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2018
So i got my external screen back...

Shut down MACBOOK
Unplugged HDMI Dock
Unplugged power
Switched on MACBOOK
Once fully booted, plugged in dock with HDMI cable connected
Then plugged in power

Worked for me, may work for someone else having similar issue

henryrodrigo

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
Just notice this strange files in desktop Trash after installing Sonoma 14.5. I already tried to delete them, restart the machine and they keep reappearing. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Just figured out. It is a glitch with Microsoft OneDrive APP. It stopped after I closed the app.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 10.19.47 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.