Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
I have an iMac7,1 (aluminium, the older thicker one), and a 5,1 Mac Pro.
I've moved on from my iMac because it wasn't powerful enough, but I'd still want to keep its contents. Yes, I've moved the easy files to the Pro ages ago but the iMac contains some project files that are a sum of endless hand adjusted settings and complex circumstances that can't be exported in their original form at all.
System report reveals that the iMac's hard drive is a WDC caviar green. Is this HD compatible to be put inside this Mac Pro and will I be able to boot into the same system and account that the iMac had in, or would the files only be readable via my current OS like any ordinary disk of stored files?

I don't want to sell the abandoned iMac for parts until I have either translated the complex project files to my Pro by hand, or certain that I can just keep booting to the same old OS from this other machine.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So long as the version of Mac OS X on the iMac's drive is 10.6 or higher it'll work without a problem.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Would appear to be Mac OS X 10.6.8.
I'm having a hard time spotting the equivalent of my Mac Pro from everymac.com; I bought it customized and updated by someone. It's an '08 model if I remember correctly, but it's been flashed to 5,1. 2 x 2,4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon. Searching by serial number at everymac, it thinks that it's the old machine, not 5,1. So I guess that this is the equivalent: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-twelve-core-2.4-mid-2012-westmere-specs.html
Apparently it came with 10.7 pre-installed, but as you said, there's the catch that it does actually support 10.6 anyway.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As long as you have a older styled Mac Pro, 10.6.8 will boot on it without a problem. No matter the model.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Brilliant, thanks, then I shall proceed with the plan! The iMac's still very capable parts will be recycled and I can finally stop carrying it around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.