Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akophone

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
A new exploit discovered, might help in cracking 1.1.1 soon by the Dev Team at Hackintosh, claiming to have succeeded in code execution. What will inevitably follow is a code and a guide. This is Big! This seems to be reminiscent of the PSP/Sony showdown that the hackers cracked a year an a half ago involving a TIFF exploit. They are definitely up to something for both the Touch and the iPhone.
This means that hopefully soon, one can write 3rd party apps onto his or her updated firmware of 1.1.1, once it's jailbroken.
Also, they'll produce a hack for the file lockdownd and will allow your bricked phone to work normally!
And inevitably, they'll have an unlock method; thus, your bricked phone will be a fully functioning phone once again, locked or unlocked.
As for me, I'm still basking under the 1.0.2 3rd party apps!

Here's the latest on decrypting the firmware.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Did you mean jailbreak?:confused:

Either term works doesn't it?

It has to be said this is bad news for Apple's strategy but with PR pressure coming from the press and Nokia and consumer pressure from the customers Apple an only gain some confidence back by opening up these devices with a proper SDK.

They could stave some of this off by releasing a more fully featured AJAX route onto the devices but that doesn't replace real apps.

It's exciting that the Touch will get jailbroken at some point imo.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
No new "News" here. They are not really much further along then the day the update was released.

This thing is locked up about as tight as Fort Knox.

jmcallister

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
The impace (much or little) is still unknown. The dev team I know is working on this avenue. This is an exicitng baby step forward into possibly freeing the iphone once again for mass unlocking.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Seems to be making the news over at MacNN!

These developments very closely follow the early PSP exploits.

Very interesting...

:cool:

--DotComCTO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.