Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
The difference is that DirecTV re-programs the HU card without user action. If you had a script that blocked the update, the receiver would stop working. With the iPhone, we have the option to upgrade to new firmware or not to upgrade than the phone will still work. For there to be a change like DiecTV and the HU to be effective, AT&T would have to redo their software to check firmware and reject all except current. This would not be in AT&T's best financial interest. Not to mention customer complaints.

Remember when they shut down the stream for the H-card? Apple could easily put some software in an update that would check for firmware before allowing connection to the network. I remember following the newsgroups back in the Direct TV days watching everyone go back and forth.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Why on earth would anyone consider unlocking after what Apple JUST DID??

If you do, then my dog could probably beat you in a spelling contest. Hope that sentence isn't too offensive.

I unlocked my iPhone after the 1.1.1 update. Personally, I could care less about double tap, downloading from the iTunes store on the go, or video out. Sure the features are nice, but not enough for me to switch from T-mobile to AT&T. AT&T in my area has very spotty coverage, are more expensive, and everyone knows they have bottom of the barrel customer service.

I considered a Touch but decided against it because they put those awful chrome backs on them (what are they thinking making the new Nanos and Touches scratch magnets?), they are having screen issues, and mainly because I wanted all the extra features of the iPhone which, to these hands, feels like a much more substantial product.

My iPhone is working perfectly well with edge ($5.99) per month and everything. It is quite easy to turn off auto-updates in iTunes. If you think about it, have you ever cared about software updates for your past cell phones? Probably not. The updates are nice, but I don't see anything worth switching for me.

I'm confident that the mod community will unlock future updates and if they don't, I don't really care. As far as warranty goes, well I'll admit I'm taking a risk but hopefully there will be a way to revert back to factory eventually. I'm glad I only payed $350 for a refurb instead of $600 at launch though.

I am admittedly an Apple fanboy, but I don't understand those saying that it is wrong to unlock iPhones. To my knowlege the DMCA exception makes it legal to unlock cell phones. I didn't sign any contract or agree to any EULA before unlocking my phone. I put the phone in restore mode, updated the firmware to 1.0.2, and then used iNdependence (third party software) to activate. Thus, bypassing AT&T altogether. As far as modifying the firmware on the iPhone is concerned, people modify their personal copies of OS X and Windows all the time (some going so far to even change the kernel).

BTW, you are probably right, I'm an Engineer, not a Writer, so your dog might be able to out spell me.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
There is a big difference between hacking to **STEAL** service, and hacking to make better use of a piece of equipment you own. The correct parallel to this current battle is Sony PSP vs. the Hackers... A battle the hackers are currently winning!

I don't consider third party apps for the iphone "hacks" at all. they're more like a lesser form of modification.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
I don't consider third party apps for the iphone "hacks" at all. they're more like a lesser form of modification.

I agree... and they should be supported, er, allowed. However, the method to get the file system to a state where the App's can be installed, at least for now, is a hack... a beautiful one at that, don't get me wrong. Additionally, one would have to consider the unlocking method(s) a hack.

The recurring and perhaps key point being that the activity is not illegal... perhaps in violation of the Apple user agreement, which one would expect to result in termination of warranty and support, but definitely not illegal. The unlocking is even specifically allowed for by law, in the DMCA.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Conceivably, yes Apple could roll out an iTunes update that prevented iPhones with old firmware to sync/connect. But then people would simply not update their iTunes as well.

But I doubt Apple would go to such lengths. It's simply not kosher IMO to stop someone's phone from functioning simply because they didn't upgrade the firmware. Especially if there are people out there on the road or whatever that can't conveniently update their phones, and then get locked out of using them, etc. It would start to feel like product activation for a HARDWARE product, believe it or not!

I think Apple will use the carrot approach instead. Each update they will dole out some little goodies (like the wifi store) to pull people into updating. Most people will update, thus ensuring the majority of the user base has locked phones.

To do anything to inconvenience regular users to 'trap' the small minority of users with unlocked phones, is simply not good business sense for Apple. The 1.1.1 update already created a lot of attention regarding bricking, imagine if the next update was REQUIRED- you'd see a real uproar then...

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
The future

Personal prediction based on nothing but my gut is that the way back in will come when Apple will starts selling authorized third party apps through the iTunes Store... which again just based on my gut will come very soon.

Of course those apps won't include anything like AnySIM or iToner... nothing that would cut into their profits. It will be things like ToDoList... etc...

However, this will be wonderful news though because the framework to allow authorized 3rd part apps in will be even more easily hacked and un-authorized third party apps will have a path back in that almost looks legit. I suspect there will be some sort of digital signing built in to try to exclude unauthorized apps from getting in, but someone will hack it... Once there is a legit tunnel in people will figure out a way to get down it.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Well it looks like on the iphone dev team's website they are getting closer to being able to at least unlock 1.1.1... It is now yellow on the status timeline instead of red (has been like this for a couple days actually). From what I got out of all the techy jargon was that they are testing their ideas now to see if unlocking is working or not. So you all may see an unlocking idea in the next few days.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
And world peace is right around the corner as well.:rolleyes:

I don't think it is going to happen.

It's really impossible to predict, other than saying almost everything is hackable given enough time.

The iPhone dev team are basically exploring avenues. Most will be dead ends, but most likely eventually one will lead to an exploit and allow jailbreaking and/or unlocking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.